I can't believe how fun it is....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I can't believe how fun it is....

Just got me a new SS rigid 29er.(GT Peace 9r) I'm shocked how simplicity can be so much fun. I already own a geared HT 29er that I've been riding about a year now. Lately I was riding it in one gear just to see how I liked it. I was a little nervous about taking the plunge into SS but I'm so glad I did. I've heard in the past that taking a geared bike and not shifting is the same as single speeding. Well, in my opinion, IT'S NOT THE SAME... I don't know why, maybe because of less bends in the chain or something, but SS riding feels like it's more efficient when I pedal it. I really like how it takes your mind off of shifting. My bake came with a 32/18 gear ratio and I think that's just about right for my type of riding. Now, instead of trying to figure out what gear I should be in when I approach a climb I just stand on those pedals and MAN UP!
    This is the most fun I've ever had on a bike.....Now I'm a believer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by krokus454
    Just got me a new SS rigid 29er.(GT Peace 9r) I'm shocked how simplicity can be so much fun. I already own a geared HT 29er that I've been riding about a year now. Lately I was riding it in one gear just to see how I liked it. I was a little nervous about taking the plunge into SS but I'm so glad I did. I've heard in the past that taking a geared bike and not shifting is the same as single speeding. Well, in my opinion, IT'S NOT THE SAME... I don't know why, maybe because of less bends in the chain or something, but SS riding feels like it's more efficient when I pedal it. I really like how it takes your mind off of shifting. My bake came with a 32/18 gear ratio and I think that's just about right for my type of riding. Now, instead of trying to figure out what gear I should be in when I approach a climb I just stand on those pedals and MAN UP!
    This is the most fun I've ever had on a bike.....Now I'm a believer!!
    Yeah, there is really no comparison between a true SS and staying in one gear on a geared bike.

I think it is partly due to efficiency, straighter chain line; but mostly due to the mental aspect. You have one gear, its either you pedal or you don't. Sit or stand.

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    u go brother!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So nice when another rider "gets it". Reminds me of when I first "got it".
    True North custom chromoly SS Rigid 29er. FUN+

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, I used to look @ single speed bikes and think to myself, why would anyone want to ride something like that? Now it's all I want to ride. If it wasn't for this forum, I probably would have never took the plunge....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I loved my bandersnatch when I got it. Been riding it now for about a year and a half. Still love it. I recently bought a used jabberwacky, I feel twenty years younger on the trails. I love getting dirty, running my heartrate through the ceiling, doing alittle hiking. I love my new jabberwacky. My gearing is 32/19 rigid fork. I ordered a new wheelset. Now I am having fun with the tires. I live in socal, and love the cont mountain king front, and rear. I know it will make me a better rider, and keep me forever smiling.

Out spokin'
    Oh what fun it is to ride...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Yeah, I used to look @ single speed bikes and think to myself, why would anyone want to ride something like that? Now it's all I want to ride. If it wasn't for this forum, I probably would have never took the plunge....
    Ditto........thanks for the inspiration guys.....still lovin Mary!
    Get off the couch and ride!

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Oh what fun it is to ride...

--Sparty
    on
    a 29er!

Rocket Boy
    Right on! Enjoy! Post a pic of that peace!
    Arby

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Ditto........thanks for the inspiration guys.....still lovin Mary!
    mary?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    sounds like fun. Ride the wheels off of it

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'll post a pic later tonite. After I ride it of course!! I feel pretty lucky. There's a state park about 4 miles from where I work. I load up my bike in the morning before I go to work and it's waiting for me when I'm finished.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    mary?
    You know... Mary.

She's proud and rolls down a river.

Back to topic... geared is cool, but SS is still my preference. I'm glad I own both - but the geared hangs most of the time. I posted a thread in this forum talking about how my geared bike is harder for me to ride. I know, it's strange but true.

Rocket Boy
    I'll post a pic later tonite. After I ride it of course!! I feel pretty lucky. There's a state park about 4 miles from where I work. I load up my bike in the morning before I go to work and it's waiting for me when I'm finished.
    Awesome. I need some lights. It's dark when I get out of work.
    Arby

Members who have read this thread: 0