I can choose 2......- Mtbr.com
    Master of the Obvious

I can choose 2......

I am on strict budget right now, My wife is allowing a small bike budget until we move.
    I was hoping to get a pair of Jones H bars, a brooks saddle, and some new pedals( maybe eggbeater mallets) what would you choose? I think I am sold on the H-Bars though as I have spent two years suffering wrist pain from a crash.

this is all going on my Karate Monkey... fot those that care!
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Out spokin'
    So... you're considering upgrading all three of the bicycle contact points, eh? One is no less important than the others, but here's what I'd do...

Definitely get the H-bars, due to your wrist pain. As to the pedals or saddle, I'd get whichever one needed replacement most. I've owned more than one Brooks saddle in my cycling life, and personaly I'd say if you're looking in that direction then you ought to get the pedals. Seriously though, if I needed a new saddle and I needed new pedals, I'd go with the saddle first. Nothing shouts, "Get off the bike!" louder than an uncomfortable saddle.

Good luck.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Master of the Obvious

Thanks...

Yeah i can get buy a little longer on my pedals , I actually now have 2 pairs of times that have 2 years on them, Sparty you don't seem to be a fan of brooks saddles, what do you recomend? I am slowly progesing into a long trip rider as oppossed to a true racer ( though there are still races in my future) I have built my Karate Monkey up to be Durabile more than light, I am planning on building a lighter bike after my move.
    Check out my Blog!

Out spokin'
    Well, maybe Brooks saddles have changed since I bought my last one... which was back in the 1970's! (No, I'm not kidding.) Honestly, I'm not familiar with Brooks anymore. Back when I rode them, the Brooks was a heavy, steel-railed, all-leather saddle which required years to break in.

My personal favorite saddle is the WTB SST, but I'm not even sure they're made anymore. I also like Flite saddles. But remember that one man's comfy saddle is another man's curse. Ride 'em in advance of buyin' 'em if'n ya kin.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    Yeah i can get buy a little longer on my pedals , I actually now have 2 pairs of times that have 2 years on them, Sparty you don't seem to be a fan of brooks saddles, what do you recomend? I am slowly progesing into a long trip rider as oppossed to a true racer ( though there are still races in my future) I have built my Karate Monkey up to be Durabile more than light, I am planning on building a lighter bike after my move.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Master of the Obvious
    I have been runnig a Flight ti but it hurts after 30 miles or so.. I recently came across a WTB SST.XCZ ( with orange rails) I got it cheap and was going to put it in my KHS but it never got there, is this a good saddle? maybe I will give it a try....
    Check out my Blog!

King Pin

Wink saddles and such

I run a Selle Italia Trans Am Ti on my Sofa King fast bike, very comfy for off-roading...as I end up standing frequently. This is the most comfortable MTB saddle I've ever used.

The Surly 1X1 fixie commuter/everyday long ride bike sports a big ol' heavy Brooks B-17, which has broken in nicely after about a year. I can sit on this saddle for hours on end with minimal discomfort. This is the most comfortable ROAD saddle I've ever used.

BTW, I wear regular "street" shorts whilst riding the Surly...seams and all.

YMMV.

Recovering couch patato
    My comfy seat is a San Marco Aero right now. Took a bit of getting used to, but now it's my commute-with-with-backpack seat. Great for epics as well, though it gets soaked in rain. Any seat with relief cut-out should help a lot for comfort. Looks sissy, but it's worth it to me, it took me years to even try one. Riding a Selle Italia TransAM LDY equipped bike through the pits got me thinking even more. Sofa, baby!

I have the Mallet C's, and tried them on my KM. I totally love the support they offer, and the release is just about as good as with my 5 pairs of normal eggs. Entry takes some getting used to after the kick&score regular eggs, but at least you have the platform. Even with the cheapest, least bike-specific shoes, the Mallets are fine race pedals. Used them for no-lift 4X with my laced cheap Lakes, which was great. Platforms do mean a less favorable Q-factor, but not too bad.
    What about Candy's for a smaller style difference over your Times?

H-bars are high on my wishlist, but I lack the discomfort to justify them just know. I probably also have to get a longer Thomson to be 100% happy with them, and 140mm ones are rare second hand. Too bad my steel Titec won't work with H's.

Good luck with the tight budget. Good thing could be that appreciating smaller upgrades will be easier.

Happy trails,

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member

Broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    ... as I have spent two years suffering wrist pain from a crash.
    You may want that wrist x-rayed. I speak from personal experience here. Several years ago, I crashed and hurt my wrist. I went to the emergency room the next day as it continued to hurt A LOT and they checked it out (including an x-ray) and said it wasn't broken. Stuck to the road the rest of the summer to let it heal. Started mountain biking again in the fall and playing hockey. It kept hurting the whole winter so I went to an orthopedist and found that my wrist (scapphoid to be specific) was, in fact broken. I managed to get away with not having surgery, but was in a cast (and later brace) for the better part of the year. When I did start using my wrist again (mtb, etc), I tended to hurt my other wrist by over-compensation. Several years later, I'm all better, and though everything took a long time to heal, I'm glad that I went through all the trouble to get rid of all the pain.

Just a personal anecdote to consider.

Master of the Obvious

Thanks but not broken

Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    You may want that wrist x-rayed. I speak from personal experience here. Several years ago, I crashed and hurt my wrist. I went to the emergency room the next day as it continued to hurt A LOT and they checked it out (including an x-ray) and said it wasn't broken. Stuck to the road the rest of the summer to let it heal. Started mountain biking again in the fall and playing hockey. It kept hurting the whole winter so I went to an orthopedist and found that my wrist (scapphoid to be specific) was, in fact broken. I managed to get away with not having surgery, but was in a cast (and later brace) for the better part of the year. When I did start using my wrist again (mtb, etc), I tended to hurt my other wrist by over-compensation. Several years later, I'm all better, and though everything took a long time to heal, I'm glad that I went through all the trouble to get rid of all the pain.

Just a personal anecdote to consider.
    thanks for the concern but I have been x-ray'd & MRI'd, no breaks but I have what is known as Culminary Trauma Disorder
    My CTD is from a bad crash on my wrist and then repeated stress on my wrist following the original trauma, I am starting up my own construction company and this summer I spent quite a few days with post hole digger and shovels in hand, so now i am not digging, and looking for other ways to reduce stress on my wrist, I was even off the bike for six weeks ( I was PO'd I missed cheq 40!) but I have started less technical riding again and am hoping to hit single track once the snow falls.
    Check out my Blog!

Master of the Obvious

Anybody riding a FI'ZI:K ?

I came across a cool looking saddle at a LBS it was a FI'ZI:K Nisene w/ COW skin it look cool anyone have any experience with these ?
    Check out my Blog!

Currently in Exile

Comfy saddles

Go for a saddle over the pedals. You will always notice an unhappy butt more than an unhappy foot. Here are some saddles that I have liked.

Bontrager FS+10
    Bontrager FS 2000
    Selle San Marco ERA Lux

If you notice a theme, all of these saddles are made by Selle San Marco. They seem to have my rear end dialed in. I can't ride saddles with a groove as it always feels like I am sitting on two ridges. Point is, if you are unhappy with your current saddle, decide what it is about that saddle that makes you unhappy. Then try to find a saddle with a different shape and see if that works with your body. For me, a flat saddle works. For some, a rounded saddle works. Others prefer junksaver saddles. You won't know until you try them out.

If you do go with a Brooks, it will take time to break in and will be heavy. But those who use them swear by them AFTER they have broken in.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea