I broke my arm a few weeks ago. I plan to continue rigid(?)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I broke my arm a few weeks ago. I plan to continue rigid(?)

Some skepticism.

I cracked one of my forearm bones and chipped my elbow a little a few weeks ago on my 26er SS .

I may want to continue riding a rigid bike.

My current setup includes a Raceface 80mm Evolve stem , EC70 580mm bar, Saso carbon rigid and Conti Race King 2.2 .

It is a singlespeed 26 inch Commencal Combi convert.

For my possible no-travel comeback, I have planned the following changes with a focus on comfort, control and climbing ability .

Continental Rubber Queen 2.4 as a front tire ( Non-tubeless) for plushness(comfort) and grip(control)

Truvativ Stylo WC SS 700mm bar for climbing leverage, control and comfort.

I would like to receive feedback, tips and opinions over the decision to carry on rigid and the tire-bar combination as depicted(or any others) .

I still have a dream of racing with a rigid singlespeed with a podium finish to show them I can do it with no travel and gears .

Ride on, shiftless(but not mindless) bikers !

PSYCHOLUST
    you don't REALLY need to change anything, in my opinion.
    but if you WANT TO... go for it

I broke my collar bone last june and was off the bike 4 weeks and had a few TENDER rides back on my rigid SS , but in the long run nothing has changed

mtbr member

Go tubeless!

Being able to run lower psi made a huge differance for me, comfort wise.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I broke my wrist last summer, got a ti plate and 7 screws now. I ride a rigid SS 26er with alum bars and a full steel frame. The ride isnt that bad at all, I suppose it will depend on your terrian though.

Just keep loose and bend the elbows/knees and you will be fine.

If you can fit a rubber queen in the rear I would put one back there also, the rear can give just as much rattle as the front. A carbon bar will also soften a lot of the chatter, and maybe some big chunky grips.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Last August I fractured the head of my radius at the elbow and fractured my scaphoid (wrist). I was off the bike 8 weeks but upon my return I resumed riding my fully rigid One9 without any issues other than a little stiffness after the ride for about a month. For an improved ride I agree with the other person who recommended tubeless. Another suggestion, although costly, would be to get yourself a Niner carbon fork for a significant improvement in damping not to mention the performance gains in stiffness and weight.

mtbr member
    A tubeless 2.2 Race King vs a tubed Rubber Queen 2.4 which are almost massive - which would offer a more stable and compliant ride?

I do understand that there is really a sussy option here , but I really want to make an accomplishment with rigid .

Members who have read this thread: 0