I broke the crank on my fixie- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

I broke the crank on my fixie

JRA on my way home the other night, it broke when I stood up to climb up a grassy bank.
    Fortunately I was going very slow and wasn't hurt, but my frame was.

It pulled my rear triangle out of alignment. The next day I installed new old cranks and bent the frame straight again.

I have been commuting on it for about 10 months, the cranks were brand new 3400 miles ago. I weigh about 210 and push a big 48x16 gear.

The older square taper shimono cranks have been on other bikes and have held up much better. I reduced my gearing to 44x16 with the "new" cranks.

I really like riding fixed on the road. All the mechanics at my shop ride fixies too. We all love our fixies for cheap transportation in Oregon wet weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Where'd you get those handlebar mitts?
    I've seen those once before but have not been able to locate them since.
    I've heard they're great for winter riding!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Sidetrak climits

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles
    Where'd you get those handlebar mitts?
    I've seen those once before but have not been able to locate them since.
    I've heard they're great for winter riding!
    I ordered them from Sidetraks, I'm pretty sure they still make em. I love them for wet and cold riding. I can wear fingerless gloves all winter in Oregon.

They cost about $40, and were invented by a northwet bike cop. They velcro on and off in seconds. I really like them, I just put them on last week.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I ordered them from Sidetraks, I'm pretty sure they still make em. I love them for wet and cold riding. I can wear fingerless gloves all winter in Oregon.

They cost about $40, and were invented by a northwet bike cop. They velcro on and off in seconds. I really like them, I just put them on last week.

I've seen cops on motorcycles wearing those... maybe a motorcycle shop/catalog would also have something similar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cool - Thanks -
    Didn't mean to hijack your thread. That sucks you broke your crank, glad it didn't happen at an inopportune time...

Members who have read this thread: 0