I am now annointed...- Mtbr.com
    lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005

I am now annointed...

I got my first single speed today...what a revelation!

It's a KHS Solo one that I got from a nice fellow MTBR.com member via the classifieds. Well, I knew I was going to love it straight away, as it took less than 10 minutes to have it out-of-the-box and rolling! Simplicity is a GOOD thing!

My first ride was meant to be a 6-10 mile easy ride...it turned out being a 30 mile excursion! I was concerned about my ability to climb, but I quickly got the hang of it...AND, I found that I was actually FASTER on many sections on the SS than on my Trek 8000!

Maybe it was the physical exertion, but towards the end of my ride, I was overcome with emotion (ever happen to any of you?)... I was so happy to be riding, but more importnatly, this experience has shown me how much my fitness level has improved (I used to be over 320 lbs)...Now, I am tearing up the trail, passing guys on geared bikes and LOVING every minute of it...

My Heckler is going to collect some dust for a while...

bob~

mtbr member
    Good for you. I personally like the ability to ride both my bikes, geared and not. Singlespeeding is a must for me though, especially in muddy conditions. It's weird for me too I go through different phases - I rode my SS exclusively for over 8 weeks then finally started riding the geared bike and I haven't ridden much of the SS - bout to change that though. So yeah before you sell that Heckler get some more mileage on that SS, sounds like that won't be much of a problem. Your pedal stroke and cadance will improve so much! welcome...

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    LOL...for the record: I will NEVER sell my Heckler!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Geez!

320 lbs. ! You went from a from a hippo to hip!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I just started SS'ing about a month ago, and I love it. Haven't rode a geared bike since.
    Last weekend I rode with some geared riders and they seemed so slow!
    I'm doing my first SS race in two weeks, and I'm hoping to place well within the geared class.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I just started SS'ing about a month ago, and I love it. Haven't rode a geared bike since.
    Last weekend I rode with some geared riders and they seemed so slow!
    I'm doing my first SS race in two weeks, and I'm hoping to place well within the geared class.
    yea it must be all them gears that's causing them to ride at snail's pace

chalk up yet another brainwashing victim...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus

hm. It's been my experience that some riders who choose to ride w/ gears fall victim to the "sit and survive" mode. Happens to me even when I get a little lazy on the geared bike. With the SS you have no choice but to mash those pedals. Of course it's a trade off, and I don't beleive that simply riding a SS will make you faster either. In fact, I rode my SS and got my ass handed to me by guys who were simply faster than me and they had gears - I didn't stand a chance. That said you get me on an average group ride w/ geared folks and I'm always in the lead waiting for the granny gearies to catch up. The point is this: It ain't the bike it's the rider. And I don't really ride all that differently on the different bikes - I've always liked pushing a higher gear at a lower cadence.

I think you should drink the Kool Aid or maybe just not post in the singlespeed forum?

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005

bike(s)=good

Plume... I like what you posted. I guess we all know what it's like to get a new bike...FUN! But in the end, It IS about the engine, not the rig...

For me, a lot of what excites me is the fact that I get to see an obvious progression of my overall fitness. I KNOW I lost 70 lbs, but trust me...this would have been unthinkable not too long ago!

I dig all my bikes... I love my Trek 8000 too! I love my roadies as well!

right now, just for today...I can't wait till wifey comes home from church, so I can take my SS out!

bob~

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus

Exactly! They don't have any incentive to maintain momentum, because they can always shift to an easier gear.
    Now I need to get back to my chanting "must ride singlespeed, must ride singlespeed, must ride singlespeed....."

mtbr member
    Welcome to the fold!

I never thought I'd sell my Tracers, until I got my SS!

Members who have read this thread: 0