I was 1st, I was DFL - GA SS Championship race report- Mtbr.com
    i worship Mr T

I was 1st, I was DFL - GA SS Championship race report

(x-post from passion)

With age does not come good sense. Trust me. I am proof of this.

Seriously, if anyone tells you that good sense increases with age and experience feel free to tell them that what they’re saying is a big pile of cow poo-poo. It doesn’t. You’re as prone to make stupid choices at 40 as you are at 18. For example, choosing to do a 45 mile ss race where you know you will come in DFL as opposed to a 33 mile race where you are likely to finish in the top 3 and walk away with some cash. (But, really, where’s the fun in that??)

And, as long as we’re on the subject of big lies here’s another one that I need to disabuse myself of: Despite my fantastical delusions, I am NOT Sue Haywood. Not even close. In fact, after Sunday I’m pretty sure that the only things that Sue Haywood and I have in common are the fact that we’re both female and we both own 2-wheeled human-powered vehicles.

Speaking of 2-wheeled human-powered vehicles…check out the swanky new Cane Creek legs on the pink lady…ssexy!

mmm....Zonos....

Having just entered my 4th decade last week I made the brilliant decision to jump onto the ss that I have ridden exactly twice in the last 7 weeks for a total of 1 hr and 12 miles and do the marathon race at the GA SS Championship race – scheduled for 4 laps (45 miles) at Ft. Yargo State Park in lovely Winder, GA. Is it worth it to mention that I have never ridden my ss for more than 34 consecutive miles and I’ve only done that once? Nah, probably not worth thinking about.

Just to make things exciting I made some upgrades to my bike the day before the race – new ssexy Cane Creek Zonos wheels, new disk brakes, new chain - and then rode it for a about 15 minutes around the park across from my house so my dog could chase me and get some exercise. What’s that about never fixing what ain’t broke the day before a race? I was absent the day they taught that race strategy.

before the pain

After a week of watching the weather guessers waffle about what the weather would do for the weekend (it’s going to rain….no, it will be sunny……no, a 60% chance of rain…..no, a 20% chance of rain……rain on Sat. no, rain on Sun……cloudy but no rain………sunny with a chance of rain……..:eyeroll Sunday turned out to be a gloriously warm and sunny spring day. Arm and knee warmers during the pre-race spin but by 10am just shorts and a short sleeve jersey to race.

had to shed the armskins before the start

At the registration desk Kari tried to talk me into racing the women’s open class. Cash pay out and a good chance of a podium spot…. But, no, my heart was set on the marathon. Don’t ask why. I couldn’t even explain it to my own father. I was sure some strong women would sign up for the marathon but when we finally lined up it became clear that I really was the only female in GA stupid enough to think racing a ss for 45 miles would be a good idea. Yes, I really really am THAT stupid.

m-m: the best mechanic and support person ever

Looking around me I knew there wasn’t a snowball’s chance in hades that I would be anything but last. I was surrounded by all our regional endurance hotshots – Greg Turner, Peter Joski, Shane on his pepto-pink pimp PUSS, and mtbr’s own teamdicky. Even if they all flatted simultaneously and could only repair the flats using what they could find on the ground in the woods, I’m sure I would still be last. I have neither the skills nor the talent to hang with this group.

But this is why I race. Because it makes me do things I wouldn’t ordinarily do. I mean, who in their right mind would say ‘hey, I think it would be just fan-tastic to head out to the local state park on a beautiful Sunday and race a bike with one gear for 5 straight hrs’? Noone, that’s who! And so there I was. The sole estrogen donor in a pool of testosterone.

swimming in a pool of testosterone

We got the count down and we were off.

the start was a blur...

I hung with the group for about 200 meters then clung by my fingernails to the tail end for another 200 meters. Then I blew off the back with a loud whoosh and they were gone. I would ride my own race and that would be that.

After a little while I was joined by Jay from the GTC cycling club and we would spend the next 4 hrs riding together and keeping one another company.

The trails at Ft. Yargo are ideal ss trails for a marathon race. They are not super-technical though there are some fun technical rooty spots and a rock garden to play in if you want. The trails are fast, have good flow, can be bumpy and/or rooty, and are relatively flat. There are some long, fast, gradual descents and an ss tough but rideable powerline climb mid-way through the lap. Each lap is about 11 miles by the race organizers count (more like 12.5 mi/lap according to my computer).

My strategy was to eat as much as I could during my first 2 laps, drink regularly, keep my HR down in the endurance zone, and pray I didn’t keel over from fatigue or cramps before the end of my 4th lap.

The first lap slipped by without much notice. The section through the controlled burn was a bit disconcerting as I felt like I was riding through a war zone but my asthma meds were working and I could at least breathe fairly well. My HR was a little high and my legs were a little lethargic from being off the bike and celebrating my birthday for the previous 3 days. It took a while for all the birthday cake to settle but toward the end of lap 1 I was finding a rhythm. Jay and I chatted periodically.

The lap finishes with a zig-zag up a hill on an open field. There is one short steep grunt then a brief gradual descent and then a longer uphill grunt to the start/finish line. Cresting that hill on my first lap nearly made me lose my cookies and I wondered how it would feel in another 2 or 3 laps. Not good I guessed.

ugh. i think i'm going to barf.

I was aiming for an average lap time of 1:10. First lap: 1:07. Right on schedule. Now if I can just keep the pace up. The second lap feels better than the first. My legs have opened up, I am warmed up, there are butterflies outside (must be spring) rather than in my stomach, I can see surviving at least 3 laps if not 4. Jay and I chug along. We pass 2 of the girls from the open race. Hey ladies! Keep it strong!

mmm....roots

Lap 2, mile 5: Must remember to eat. I had set 2 spots for eating. One at about mid-lap and the other about a mile later at the bottom of the powerline climb. Though it is my racing habit to eat a gel then drop the wrapper (yes, I know it’s littering but it’s hard enough to reach into my pocket to pull a gel out while racing. Its even harder to shove that crumpled wrapper back in), but the race organizers had asked us not to drop anything on the course and I was trying to comply. The trail is bumpy and fast but I need to eat. Rattle, rattle, rattle, bump, bump…..I know that if I take my hand off the bar I risk crashing, but I need to eat. On the count of 3 I will reach for my pocket. 1……bump, bump……rattle rattle 2 rattle……..3. Where is my d*mn pocket?! Bump rattle bump. Ah, there it is. Got the gel out and shoved it into my mouth so I can hold on until things get smoother and I can actually open and eat the gel. Hey, there’s a smooth spot.

And now a word from my common sense: When going fast over a bumpy trail it is generally best to keep both hands on the handlebar. Removing one hand from said handlebar is a sure-fire way to suddenly find yourself testing gravity superman-style.

Must eat. Ignoring my common sense I take my right hand off my bar, tear open the gel and suck it down. Ahhhh. Now to get the packet back into my pocket.

Reaching back……

Arrrrgh! Going too fast!!!!

Brain checks out. Left hand grabs brake lever. Front wheel turns perpendicular to direction of momentum. Body continues on forward trajectory with right hand still somewhere near the right back pocket.

WHAM!

FYI – the ground is hard.

I lay tangled in my bike while remembering how to breathe. Ouch. That’s going to leave a mark.

you should see the other knee!

Jay catches up as I disentangle myself from my bike. He patiently waits while I brush myself off, pull out another gel, eat it, and examine the blood running down my legs. Nice. No bones sticking out and I’m back on my bike. Hmm, my shoulder hurts. Oh well. 2.5 more laps to go.

The climb up the grassy field/hill to the start/finish is more painful than on the previous lap and I stop at the top where m-m is waiting to give me more gels and a new water bottle. Still on target, lap 2 took 1:10. Jay passes me as I get my water but waits once he gets to the woods. It’s much nicer to have company with whom to suffer.

Lap 3 hurts. My hands are beginning to ache and my shoulder is throbbing. I am wondering what possessed me to think that I could do 4 laps. Why didn’t I do the women’s open race? I’d almost be done. WTF was I thinking?! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

[to the tune of Oscar Meyer Weiner commercial]

Oh, I wish I had my pretty little iPod. That is what I’d really like to have. ‘Cause if I had my pretty little iPod. I wouldn’t have to sing this stupid song.

Yes, I really made that up in my head and hummed it for a while. It annoyed me which at least took my mind off the fact that I was really getting tired and was seriously beginning to doubt my ability to do the 4th lap.

At the base of the powerline climb, I’m feeling defeated. Jay rides next to me and encourages both of us. We make it to the top and I thank him. The next part of the lap is mercifully down hill. Then a flat section. Across the bridge. And into the technical rooty section. I clean the roots and we keep moving along.

The climb up to the start/finish is brutal. 1:13 for lap 3. I stop while m-m encourages me to drink and eat. The mere thought of food makes me want to throw up. I switch out water bottles, eat 2 gels, put 3 more in my pocket and take off. Jay has waited for me again.

Lap 4 is an exercise in misery that I either did not know or had forgotten could exist. After leading the way for 3 laps I let Jay take over. It is easier for me to follow than to lead. We hit the first of the climbs that seemed insignificant 3 hrs ago and my legs threaten to cramp.

4:18. My legs have had enough. We pass some hikers on a short ascent and both adductors cramp simultaneously and I am off the bike walking. Jay is still able to ride and he keeps going. I walk until the cramping subsides and I get back on the bike. But now, everytime the trail turns even slightly up, both legs cramp and I am forced to walk. I wish I had a sign saying that I am doing the marathon race as age group racers, who started 3 hrs after me and only have to do 2 laps, come flying by.

I ride the descents and flats and walk the climbs. I can’t wait to be done.

Up the powerline climb. I can see Jay ahead hiking it too but I can’t catch up. Only 4.5 miles left. At the bottom m-m is waiting with the camera. Then again at the end of the bridge. I think he’s running faster than I’m riding. teamdicky is there cheering me on – he probably finished 2 hrs ago!

3 miles to go. I can hear the loudspeaker at the finish and I begin to wonder if I will be able to ride across the finish line. I don’t think I’ll be able to climb the grassy hill without cramping and falling over. I have images in my head of the two Ironman women who crawled across the finish line in their race a bunch of years ago. I think I might have to do the same.

I’m coming into the bottom of the grassy hill. The short steep pitch. No way. I have to get off and walk. I’m 500 meters from the finish and I’m walking!! I get back on the bike. I will ride across that finish line if it kills me.

yep, it might kill me

I think I’m pedaling at about 10 rpms. 20 feet….10 feet….(many thanks to all the people who cheered me on)…..5 feet…..

DONE! I roll about 5 inches past the line, get off the bike and lay down on the grass.

HOLY COW WAS THAT HARD!! (photo credit Carl Mesta - please click to check out his site)

4 hrs 55 min
    50.25 miles (according to my computer)
    Average lap time: 1:13
    Average speed: 10.2 mph
    Max speed: 23.0 mph
    3680’ climbed (that’s a lot of climbing for a flat course!)
    2728 calories burned (still eating to replenish)

finally able to sit up

Congrats to my WOT Cycling teammates Tim (battling cramps for 4th place Men's 35-39) and Ceasar (2nd place Men's 20-29). And many thanks to our awesome sponsors (check out our really cool product sponsors in my sig line).

I really was DFL in the marathon (or if you want to look at the bright side, I was the first female to finish) but I am proud as h#ll of my self for having done it. My new Cane Creek wheels rocked. My bike worked flawlessly. And I actually managed to ride 50 miles on my singlespeed.

Not a bad way to start the season.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good stuff, looked like a great race.

Expert Pushing SSer

Good job!

Nice work! Excellent RR.

Sorry for the minor derail....I am thinking about racing a little 25 miler down in Ashland, OR. Fine print: I am sure I will suck (that's fine), it will be my first race on an SS, and my first race in 13 years. Brilliant move!
    Tuff Schist

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Good stuff, looked like a great race.
    thanks. it was a great race. kudos to Shey Linder and all the folks at Addictive Cycles for putting on an excellent event.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    Nice work! Excellent RR.

Sorry for the minor derail....I am thinking about racing a little 25 miler down in Ashland, OR. Fine print: I am sure I will suck (that's fine), it will be my first race on an SS, and my first race in 13 years. Brilliant move!
    thanks.

good luck in the race. there is honor in coming in DFL.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Bored
    Great story.

Remember: DFL is WAY better than DNF.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Great job RT! And nice writeup. You're an inspiration to all of us who don't think we can do it.

I believe we met at the CORBA festival. I was the out of shape guy struggling up Bulldog Motorway on a rigid Fat Chance.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

29er Geek
    FANTASTIC!

and, no way you look 40! Keep riding and keep suffering!
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    What a great write-up and an even great accomplishment! You kick major ass *rt*

Way to go!!!!

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    Great story.

Remember: DFL is WAY better than DNF.
    true dat. and way way better than DNS.

thanks!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Great job RT! And nice writeup. You're an inspiration to all of us who don't think we can do it.

I believe we met at the CORBA festival. I was the out of shape guy struggling up Bulldog Motorway on a rigid Fat Chance.
    thanks. i may not be fast but i am stupid enough not to quit.

not sure that was me since i don't think i was at the COBRA fest. maybe it was my evil twin?

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    FANTASTIC!

and, no way you look 40! Keep riding and keep suffering!
    thanks.

i've got an old race picture of me in my attic aging.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    What a great write-up and an even great accomplishment! You kick major ass *rt*

Way to go!!!!
    thanks....but i think it was the other way around - i got a major ass kicking!! but in a good way, of course.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    i'd hit it

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by boss city
    i'd hit it
    hit what?

the ground?

the wall?

the road?

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    50 miles on a SS is an accomplishment for anyone! GREAT JOB and great paint!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    Wow! It takes some guts to line up knowing that you're outclassed.
    I'll be doing a 24hr SS this summer. I'm hoping for a good 16hrs of riding time and maybe 16 laps also a DFL. As long as I lap a gearie, I'm good!
    And no way do you look 40, 30 maybe.
    How was the recovery?
    Sweet ride, btw
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    *rt*
    Good job. Putting yourself in over your head is the best way to progress. Awesome!

P.S. You're so cute, I'm blushing right now.

mtbr member
    nice report. I had hoped to go to this but it was just a little too far away for me now.

You may have not gotten the desired results, but let me say this, you do NOT look 40...

girls on SSs are sexy!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Congrats! you finished so it couldn't have been THAT hard
    next, ride the fixie :P

I think I'll forward your ride report to my GF, I think I've got her talked into a race in June, mebbe SS >

very inspiring and well written report, keep 'em up.
    What's next?

bike ON
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Sweep the leg!
    Great write-up. I almost went with some friends to Savanah but they didn't want to deal with dropping me off and picking my ragged ass up after. Keep plugging away or rather, keep challenging yourself.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Out spokin'

Awesome stuff!

I laughed.

I cried.

It became part of me.

Thank you for sharing your great racing story! Complete with great photos! And for finishing a great race! No, make that a for a great finish to a tough race!

Whatever! Way to freakin' GO!

--Sparty

P.S. I don't look 40, either. That's all I'm sayin' about that.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Category Winner
    Sorry about the initial silly starting pace. Since I just wanted to get a hard ride in I didn't feel like rubbing elbows for 48 miles. I gunned it for the first three miles or so to break the group up into the serious folks and the funhogs. Its just too early in the year to get caught up in the early jockeying for position (and frequent bar entanglements) that usually happens at these events. Once we were pretty well split up I let the lead group go by and tried to make the most of my day in the woods.
    I considered pulling off and waiting for you after the third lap so we could ride together. I kinda felt bad about the fact that we've corresponded on occasion but never actually ridden together. It dawned on me though that if I pulled over you might have had a mechanical or something and never got restarted so I'd have been waiting for nothing. Well at least we got to line up together.
    Nice job. SS'ing on a course like that isn't easy. There wasn't a whole lot of sections to recover on, and descents were fast enough to require full attention.
    Be careful. You are cooking with gas now.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Congratulations for coming in first in your class.

I graduated at the head of my class in my major from college in a similar circumstance; I was the only one getting a BFA in sculpture.

Happy Birthday!

I am the owl

Good job!

Good job and great write up! Thanks for the post.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

YABA
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    (x-post from passion) 3680’ climbed (that’s a lot of climbing for a flat course!) rt
    Their is alot more climbing at yargo than most people think its no pisgah but it will give you a good workout. Believe it are not their is almost 1000 ft of climbing at yargo it just takes 12 miles to climb 1000 ft. so it seems like a flat course but its actually a moderate trail system.

Steve Gordon (President of Yargo Area Biking Assoication)
    Last edited by overthetop; 03-14-2007 at 06:12 AM.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by overthetop
    Their is alot of more climbing at yargo than most people think its no pisgah but it will give you a good workout. Believe it are not their is almost 1000 ft of climbing at yargo it just takes 12 miles to climb 1000 ft. so it seems like a flat course but its actually a moderate trail system.
    I would say it's flat-ish when you compare it to Conyers (next year's rumored venue) with 1032 ft of elevation in eight miles.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    50 miles on a SS is an accomplishment for anyone! GREAT JOB and great paint!
    thanks! it was quite the festival of pink out there - pink frames, pink forks, pink hubs/spokes, pink chains.......and even a pair of pink socks (not naming names here teamdicky )

gotta say, 50 miles was a long a$$ way to go on a ss.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by lobolator
    Wow! It takes some guts to line up knowing that you're outclassed.
    I'll be doing a 24hr SS this summer. I'm hoping for a good 16hrs of riding time and maybe 16 laps also a DFL. As long as I lap a gearie, I'm good!
    And no way do you look 40, 30 maybe.
    How was the recovery?
    Sweet ride, btw
    thanks. the weird thing is that i didn't really care that i was outclassed or that i knew i'd be last which made it a lot easier to line up. i think if i'd been racing with a bunch of pro women it would have been much harder to step up to the line knowing that i'd get my asskicked. not really sure why. i guess i can keep the competitive urges in check when i'm with the guys.

24 hr solo on an SS is a major feat. goood luck with that!

the recovery is a bit slower than i'd like. got out and rode yesterday and felt great for about 1.5 hrs but woke up this am really sore so i guess i'm going to spend an evening on teh couch eating ice cream. life IS hard.

rt

ps - the pink lady says thanks.

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23
    *rt*
    Good job. Putting yourself in over your head is the best way to progress. Awesome!

P.S. You're so cute, I'm blushing right now.

thanks! i figure, what doesn't kill me.............doesn't kill me.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    nice report. I had hoped to go to this but it was just a little too far away for me now.

You may have not gotten the desired results, but let me say this, you do NOT look 40...

girls on SSs are sexy!
    thanks!

actually, i got exactly the results i wanted: i stuck pretty close to my goal of an average lap time of 1:10 and i finished without dying!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Great write-up. I almost went with some friends to Savanah but they didn't want to deal with dropping me off and picking my ragged ass up after. Keep plugging away or rather, keep challenging yourself.
    ah well, there's always next year.

thanks! the draw of more endurance races on teh SS is pretty strong right now. hmmm............

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    Congrats! you finished so it couldn't have been THAT hard
    next, ride the fixie :P

I think I'll forward your ride report to my GF, I think I've got her talked into a race in June, mebbe SS >

very inspiring and well written report, keep 'em up.
    What's next?

bike ON
    bob
    thanks bob!

dunno if my report will inspire or scare your gf!

not sure what's next on the ss agenda. i've got a couple endurance races planned but i was going to do those on the gearie.......hmmm..........

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I laughed.

I cried.

It became part of me.

Thank you for sharing your great racing story! Complete with great photos! And for finishing a great race! No, make that a for a great finish to a tough race!

Whatever! Way to freakin' GO!

--Sparty

P.S. I don't look 40, either. That's all I'm sayin' about that.
    thanks Sparty! most of the picture credit has to go to m-m. in between playing mechanic extraordinare and feedzone freak he ran all over the course to take pictures.

rt

ps - LOL

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Sorry about the initial silly starting pace. Since I just wanted to get a hard ride in I didn't feel like rubbing elbows for 48 miles. I gunned it for the first three miles or so to break the group up into the serious folks and the funhogs. Its just too early in the year to get caught up in the early jockeying for position (and frequent bar entanglements) that usually happens at these events. Once we were pretty well split up I let the lead group go by and tried to make the most of my day in the woods.
    I considered pulling off and waiting for you after the third lap so we could ride together. I kinda felt bad about the fact that we've corresponded on occasion but never actually ridden together. It dawned on me though that if I pulled over you might have had a mechanical or something and never got restarted so I'd have been waiting for nothing. Well at least we got to line up together.
    Nice job. SS'ing on a course like that isn't easy. There wasn't a whole lot of sections to recover on, and descents were fast enough to require full attention.
    Be careful. You are cooking with gas now.
    HAH. that was quite the pace to start, but i figured that's what i get when i line up with the "big boys". i was pretty pleased i held on as long as i did. my top end isn't exactly top right now (or ever for that matter!)

thanks for the thoughts. it would have been fun to ride together but you'd have gotten bored with the pace pretty quickly. there will be other times to hook up to ride.

many thanks. that course is deceptive.

yep, cooking with gas and trying to figure out which races i might want to leave the gearie at home for.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Congratulations for coming in first in your class.

I graduated at the head of my class in my major from college in a similar circumstance; I was the only one getting a BFA in sculpture.

Happy Birthday!
    LOL! i love being first by default.

thanks!
    rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by overthetop
    Their is alot more climbing at yargo than most people think its no pisgah but it will give you a good workout. Believe it are not their is almost 1000 ft of climbing at yargo it just takes 12 miles to climb 1000 ft. so it seems like a flat course but its actually a moderate trail system.

Steve Gordon (President of Yargo Area Biking Assoication)
    hey Steve. yep, Yargo can be deceptive. i had about 3700 ft of climbing for my 4 laps. flat when compared to something like conyers (as Rich mentions below) or the stuff up in NGa but certainly not silver comet flat! especially when you only have 1 gear to navigate through it all.

thanks so much for keeping up such a great trail system.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

m-m
    MrT
    feedzone freak

Yes I am!

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by m-m
    Yes I am!
    thought you'd like that.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing!
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

m-m
    MrT
    oops - not here....

m-m
    MrT
    thought you'd like that.

rt
    freak....fiend - I have it all covered!

mtbr member
    i'd hit it
    He must think he is on RBR!!

Great story!!! It was fun to read

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    He must think he is on RBR!!

Great story!!! It was fun to read
    LOL. i can see how he might get confused.

thanks!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Amazing job, rt!!!

The pics and your narration are top notch!

wow..I have never ridden my SS for that long... even less to race it
    Last edited by crisillo; 03-15-2007 at 08:03 AM.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    With age does not come good sense. Trust me. I am proof of this.
    That's because you're a woman... Otherwise, works pretty consistently with men...

Thanks for sharing, great report...

Ali

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    Thanks for sharing!
    you're welcome! thanks for reading.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Amwzing job, rt!!!

The writeup, pics and your narration is top notch!

wow..I have never ridden my SS for that long... even less to race it
    thanks.

LOL. neither had i prior to Sunday! but that's the beauty of endurance racing - it's more like a really really really long ride than a race..........at least for me (which probably explains why i was DFL. )

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by pisket
    That's because you're a woman... Otherwise, works pretty consistently with men...

Thanks for sharing, great report...

Ali
    hmmm, based on personal experience i'm gonna have to disagree with you on that first statement.

thanks!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Welcome . . .

i'd hit it
    . . . to Fantasy Island.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0