hubs questions (please clerify)- Mtbr.com
    The Hutch

hubs questions (please clerify)

I have a 9 speed Hope pro 2 hub that I would like to simply buy spacers a cog and maybe a 10mm bolt conversion.
    Can i do this to convert my 9spd hub to SS hub? I asked Hope and they said I would tear the Alu Hub body to shreds? They said I should buy a SS specific hub or a steel hub body.
    My goal is to be able to convert back and fort from 1x9 to SS. with the same wheelset.
    Any ideas ?

- factotum -
    Amen.

Sorry, I just tried a clerification.

I use a 9-speed Hope hub with aluminum freehub body on one of my singlespeeds. No problem. BUT: I use a cog with a wide base so it won't dig into the metal.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I was under the impression that even cassettes will dig into a hub body...

I'm betting that the cogs with wide bases will be fine, but someone with brainz will answer this for sure.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Bear
    Amen.

Sorry, I just tried a clerification.

I use a 9-speed Hope hub with aluminum freehub body on one of my singlespeeds. No problem. BUT: I use a cog with a wide base so it won't dig into the metal.
    What brand cog are you using? or who makes the wide base cogs?

Low Rep Count
    I know Surly makes one with a wide base. And yes even cassettes will tear into the hub shell. Not sure about the HomeBrewed but I am sure some folks will chime in here.

I had this happen to me on my older Campy Record hubs when I was running a 11-19 ti cassette. At the end of the season when I was doing my normal tear down of the bike I found this and realized why the shifting was a little off no matter how much I adjusted it. I ended up having to buy a new hub body and went back to their standard cassette.

The Hutch
    I did some digging around seems the niner brand cogs are thicker. anyone have experience with them ?
    also
    What spacer kits (for the rest of the 9spd hub body) is everyone using?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    niner cog is wide and looks awesome. U may want to check it out. Doesn't hope offer lifetime warranty? if that's the case don't sweat it. My I9 free hub got messed up using a cassette so I don't think it makes a diff as long as you get the right cog and spacers.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    niner cog is wide and looks awesome. U may want to check it out. Doesn't hope offer lifetime warranty? if that's the case don't sweat it. My I9 free hub got messed up using a cassette so I don't think it makes a diff as long as you get the right cog and spacers.
    Any suggestions on Spacers? and Lock ring?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Buy any inexpensive spacer kit you can get. The more rings the better. Re-use ur lock ring.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    Buy any inexpensive spacer kit you can get. The more rings the better. Re-use ur lock ring.
    Perfect thanks for the help everyone..

Did I catch a niner+?
    You could also buy the replacement steel cassette body from your LBS and run any cog. I think I saw the part for about $50.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Rode a few thousand miles on mine with either a Surly, Niner, or Chris King cog (all similar widths at the base, in my estimation). A little gouging, nothing bad though. Now that hub has cassette.

- factotum -
    surly, on-one and king come to mind.

I use a steel singlestar.
    http://www.singlespeeder.de/os-comme...1&osCsid=080c7

the cheap way is to use a 16-18 double cog by shimano (the middle part of a cassette).

The Hutch
    surly, on-one and king come to mind.

I use a steel singlestar.
    http://www.singlespeeder.de/os-comme...1&osCsid=080c7

the cheap way is to use a 16-18 double cog by shimano (the middle part of a cassette).
    Can you order these in the states? is there a English website?

- factotum -
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    Can you order these in the states? is there a English website?
    I don't know since I am from Germany. As far as I know he speaks English and will ship to the US. Qualitywise these singlestars are top drawer. Once you've found your dream gear ratio you just buy one of these. Hubs come and go, but a singlestar is a keeper.
    BTW: I don't know this guy personally, I just have traded with him, so no spam intended.

The Hutch
    I don't know since I am from Germany. As far as I know he speaks English and will ship to the US. Qualitywise these singlestars are top drawer. Once you've found your dream gear ratio you just buy one of these. Hubs come and go, but a singlestar is a keeper.
    BTW: I don't know this guy personally, I just have traded with him, so no spam intended.
    Maybe you can PM me his contact info, so I can get a price sheet from him..

mtbr member
    I've used Surly, King, Niner and this Fouriers and I think it's probably the thickest without actually getting the calipers out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hubs questions (please clerify)-imag0082.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

That is sexy O_O
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by farrisw1
    I've used Surly, King, Niner and this Fouriers and I think it's probably the thickest without actually getting the calipers out...
    Where do you get these at?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The niner cogs are made out of aluminum and will wear out. Surly cogs are steel and will last a long time but are really heavy. Chris kings steel cogs are awesome but expensive

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am less than impressed with my WTB Single Duty cog.

I had to file down a couple of the teeth just so it would work and it still skips. I fairly certain it's not the chain tension because it replaced a same-size cheap stamped cog that had no skipping issues.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    Cheap ss spacer kit, and pick up a Homebrewed cog (choices: stainless, alloy, 2 pc aluminum titanium) which is made by an MTBR member. Or you can visit your LBS and pick up a Surly cassette cog (not a track cog).

Source: https://surlybikes.com/parts/cassette_cog/
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

Dive Bomber
    Is this will work?

link

Use the smallest cogs and the lockring for the lock, because the smallest have threaded which match the lockring. So the lock should be fine.

I am planning to use freehub instead of freewheel because I can get more option since freewheel mostly are even numbers. I need odd numbers.

It's amazing that 1 teeth can make huge differences.

lord of my world
    Endless Cogs a nice and wide too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I can vouche for Homebrewed cogs. I have a SS 18t. It's plenty wide at the base.

I know Misfit Psycles also makes a wide based cog in aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Check out Rennen Designs. Nice aluminum cogs

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda

That is sexy O_O
    that is sexy. where'd that come from?

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by surlywhore
    Endless Cogs a nice and wide too!
    Yup. 1/4" wide at the base. I've just bought my second Endless 1/8" cog, and have found that my new Wipperman 1/8" chain binds on the new cog. Go figure. The old cog never did bind when matched with a KMC 710SL chain.

I'll probably just put up with it and wear it in when I get the rear wheel back from the LBS. I just hope that the cog wears in quicker than the chain will stretch.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    my cogs are typically 5mm at the base, except for my 2 piece cogs which are 7mm. surly's are 3/16" (a hair under 5mm). They'll all work, you shouldnt have any problems with any cogs with your hub, except for those cheap stamped steel ones. It just comes down to preference for material, color, brand, country of orgin, budget, etc...

Not sure why Hope would tell you that, i've seen tons of 9 speed hubs ran as a singlespeed with no problems, including the hubs in question. Maybe they just wanted to sell you a new one.

The Hutch
    A lot to choice from. Thanks foe everyone's help.

The Hutch
    I like the Homebrew, I just can't justify the cost. More than the king cog for a 20t.
    I don't think I want a Alu cog so niner, Rennen, are out.
    If I can find a good deal on a King, or singlestar I'll go with one of them.
    but most likely
    I think I'll go with the surly cog looks sweet at a reasonable cost from the LBS

Thanks for everyone's help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    Where do you get these at?
    I got this at my LBS but I've found them online too, just do a Google search...

Members who have read this thread: 0