hub spacer kit question- Mtbr.com
    I Have Cookies

hub spacer kit question

looking at a few SS spacer kits for my rear cassette and Im looking at the Sette kit @ pricepoint but there are others...... any feedback? on that kit?
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    looking at a few SS spacer kits for my rear cassette and Im looking at the Sette kit @ pricepoint but there are others...... any feedback? on that kit?

Rennen makes a nice adjustable spacer kit. I am using it on my Santa Cruz SS.
    The Sette kit that you are looking at, I have the same one and I am using the 18mm spacer and some spacers that I robbed from some old cassetes to get the perfect chain line. I am using that one on my GT SS. I noticed on the Sette kit that I couldn't get the chain line just right even if you flip flop the spacers around (16 &18mm) so that's where the old cassete spacers come into play. So far both set ups have been working good for me.

Hope that helps.

Ken

mtbr member
    The spacer kits with multiple size spacers are a much better choice than the kits with just two large spacers. Those two spacers are designed to match a certain front chainline measurement when used with a certain thickness cog. A variety of smaller spacers allows more adjustment

I Have Cookies
    Well right now I'm running a bunch of plastic spacers from some old cassettes I had laying around and a SRAM 18t cog out of my old favorite cassette that "exploded" (but that's another story) will that sufice with my 230 lb frame (body) and a SS chain because the chainline is spot on right now or will I eventually ware out the plastic spacers?
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Well right now I'm running a bunch of plastic spacers from some old cassettes I had laying around and a SRAM 18t cog out of my old favorite cassette that "exploded" (but that's another story) will that sufice with my 230 lb frame (body) and a SS chain because the chainline is spot on right now or will I eventually ware out the plastic spacers?
    Your spacers should be fine, but I would recommend picking up a cheap ss cog with taller teeth like this. Your LBS should be able to get something similar for a similar price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Surly SS conversion (along with Surly cog) is the nicest kit I have seen by far.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Your spacers should be fine, but I would recommend picking up a cheap ss cog with taller teeth like this. Your LBS should be able to get something similar for a similar price.
    Looks Good so the longer teeth retain the chain better? I wish they had a 18t........I'd accually get one!

____
    Kimo

I'm just messing with you
    They do have 18t, you just need to scroll the selection box down
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

I Have Cookies
    oh SNAP! I see it!! I sware I only saw a up to a 16t cog earlyer...... thats what I get for using my IPhone in the can......(bathroom)

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    I agree with JonIrons. I have the Surly kit with a Surly cog as well. Very solid!

I Have Cookies
    cool! Im gonna run it for a while like it is and save up and get the a 32H bmx hub and set it up right!

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I run the Surly spacers and Cog as well. Very happy with it.
    Never Forget......343...Rest easy Lads You Dun Good!

mtbr member
    +1 Surly spacers and cog.

cougarbait
    I made mine out of one of the cogs from an old cassette and spraypainted pvc pipe sections
    best angles I got on this computer:

09AS-Rsl/09Six

Members who have read this thread: 0