HT or Rigid??- Mtbr.com

Thread: HT or Rigid??

mtbr member

HT or Rigid??

Just ordered a new One 9 and am going to go 15mm QR but, not sure if I wanna do the RDO CF fork or something squishy - thoughts?? And, for reference, I ride primarily on a failry rooty trail pretty regularly.

Gracias!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

Did I catch a niner+?
    I want that RDO fork so bad but sadly it is only for tapered, get the fork and let us know! I've ridden their carbon fork in the past and it is one of the nicest I have ridden.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Rigid all the way. I ride rocks and roots and have no issues. It'll make you a better rider. use your elbows and knees as suspension. Of course it's a matter of preference... but you're asking.

Dive Bomber
    Suspension if you're going for speed, rigid main problem is the bounce not the impact.
    You can absorb the impact with elbows and knees, but to control the bounce is difficult.

BUT if you have the skills, then go for rigid. Good easy deformed tire would be great, works better than any suspension.

mtbr member
    I have been exclusively rigid for 2+ years, it started out as an experiment but I just can't put the squisher back on.

I also cannot in good conscience recommend it to the general public. There are two kinds of people in the world; those who like rigidity and those that don't and the only way to figure out which camp your in is to give it a go.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    There are two kinds of people in the world; those who like rigidity and those that don't ...
    Is it really that simple? Cuz if it is, I either don't like my rigid fork and just don't know it or I really like my squishy fork for some conditions and know it.

I actually have one of each for my ss. For some racing I do, I like the squish. For certain trails and training, I like the rigid. Makes some rides quite a challenge.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Is it really that simple? Cuz if it is, I either don't like my rigid fork and just don't know it or I really like my squishy fork for some conditions and know it.

I actually have one of each for my ss. For some racing I do, I like the squish. For certain trails and training, I like the rigid. Makes some rides quite a challenge.
    Maybe you just like the idea of rigidness, with the perfect trail conditions my 12 year old daughter would be fine without a sus fork.
    Try using the rigid for everything and see how challenging the rides get.

mtbr member
    ^ Well, wouldn't be my only bike but, I also want to be able to enjoy it when I do ride it!! And, if set up correctly, I would hate to decide to not ride the SS because the fork looked cool but rode like ass!!! Maybe I just get a good squish on it and call it good!!?? Getting both and changing is easy enough but, I could spend the $ on something other than a second fork - food!!!??

That said...anyone shed some light as to what model Rock Shok comes in the Tang color?? I've looked at their site and don't find it!!

Thanks all!!
    Last edited by Andy Pancroft; 11-24-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Try using the rigid for everything and see how challenging the rides get.
    I actually do when the mood strikes.

Your 12 year old daughter must be a most skilled rider.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Niner rider
    Feb 2011
    Rigid till you can't take it anymore, then keep riding it !!!

mtbr member
    i love riding rigid. After about 90mins of rough rooty trail i usually end up with a killer headache though. I bought a reba and it has been nice but no where as efficient as the rigid. I am now building up a second SS to put the reba on and the other bike will go back rigid.