mtbr member

How wrong would this be

This bike was orignally baught by my buddy back when we were in grade school. last summer me and him moved in together with our gf's. turns out women suck and he moved out. my buddy and his women moved far away but this beauty lol, has been left chained to this tree outside my apartment for over a yr, im thinking of cutting the chain and making her my own, a single speed.

this bike is probably from the 1990-1993 era im not sure. i baught my huffy in 5th grade(im 24 now) with money i saved for yrs, then he saved more than me and baught this bike, put my huffster to shame. well here she is in all her rusted glory.

How wrong of me is it to rescue this bike.

shall I or shant I?

Edit:
    I forgot to mention i move out of this apartment complex next month and i havent been able to get ahold of my friend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

squatters rights

If he didn't bother to take it, his loss. It's not like it was a small book or something..pretty obvious a big bike chained to a tree isn't going to be hard to forget..

He probably owed you money anyway..

Now, what you should have done was kicked him out and kept the second girlfriend..

mtbr member
    Sweet all i needed was one person to agree.

The matter of his Girlfriend is a differnt story. She was the antichrist, a slob, fat(not really but i hate her so much she looked fat in my eyes), and smelled of i dunno what but it stank. she is the reason i dont talk to him anymore.

mtbr member

its yours

Quote Originally Posted by primussucks
    This bike was orignally baught by my buddy back when we were in grade school. last summer me and him moved in together with our gf's. turns out women suck and he moved out. my buddy and his women moved far away but this beauty lol, has been left chained to this tree outside my apartment for over a yr, im thinking of cutting the chain and making her my own, a single speed.
    if he cared about it, he would have taken it with him. Poor bike needs some love, and ENO.

grasso e lento

Save the bike brother

Take it home and show it some luv...... It can't sux anymore than the chick that gave you problems...

-Dude
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

mtbr member
    ive got someone bringing me some bolt cutters this week, so i can cut her free. ill be shopping for a SS crank and some sort of conversion for the rear. hopefully ill be riding her in two weeks

Really I am that slow

Bolt cutters

Just use a hack saw.... Not even a minute with that cable

mtbr member
    i thought about a hack saw, but its a plastic coated wire on the outside then a thick cable on the inside. plus i didnt want anyone thining i stole it as im out there with a hacksaw lol.

Over the Hill
    Old loggers cable cutting trick. Smack it good with a large hammer while the cable lies across an old axe blade. Primitive but it works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sell it in situ to the nearest art gallery as a piece of PostModern art called 'Abandonment' and buy yourself a Surly 1x1 with the proceeds

Looks like a piece of cheap Raleigh cr*p which is best left to R.I.P. (Rust in Pieces)
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    aw, c'mon datako, that's kinda heartless. cheap bikes need lovin' too!

that said, i totally love my 1x1.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

now known as P.I.-SSer
    Dec 2004
    i say rescue it, before someone else does!

mtbr member
    It certainly is a cheap pile of poo......

But its my FREE cheap pile of poo

I believe the things got a 1in head tube(i didnt measure or anything but its smaller than my other bike) with a threaded steerer and headset, its a 7 speed, i tried to spin the cranks but it seems the chain is rusted to the cassette, the grips are falling off, and it needs a new seat(which i have an extra of).

she might not be worth saving but oh well. it will keep me busy while i save some cash for my other bike, then maybe this one can get some hand-me-downs

Recovering couch patato
    It's an outrage you left it outside over the winter!
    Where I live, the wheels would have been totally taco'ed by now. No bike lasts longer than a week on one tree.
    36h rear wheel, sweet!

Save the bike already. Your neighbours probably wonder why you've left YOUR bike outside for so long, and only ride the other.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Cut the tree down and chop it into 1' sections. Lay it out in a log pile at least 10" off the ground and dry it for a year. Get accidental dismemberment insurance and set it so you get $1000 for a lost digit. Walk up to the log pile one year later, and pull it down over yourself. Make sure to position your pinkies so that they get so smashed up that they have to get cut off.

CHA-CHING!

$2000 will get you a nice Gary Fisher Rig and lots of beer!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    I dont need pinkies or all my toes, i could make like 5 grand, SAAAWEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

now known as P.I.-SSer
    Dec 2004
    leave your big toes at least- without them, you can't run (but then again, why run, when you can ride)

mtbr member
    no need for big toes, i got a buddy who lost a big toe in a riding lawnmower accident. he runs faster than i do.

funny side note, his toenail still grows

mtbr member
    Take it! If you don't want to put much cash into it, leave the fork alone and use the setup as is. Otherwise, $20 for a SS conversion kit (or see what you can acquire at the LBS), few bucks for a chain, probably some new ball bearings, tires, brake pads, and some sweat and you should be able to shine it up into a useful rig. Congrats!
    Ventana El Rey - 3x9
    Schwinn High Plains w/ drop bars - 3x8
    Surly Ogre - Alfine 8/SS

mtbr member
    Yesterday was like christmas.

first i got some bolt cutters and became the new owner of a beater bike.

then when i walked in the door all the stuff i baught on ebay this weekend came in
    used fork, enduro seals, and a FSA pig headset for my GT.

i was outside drinking beer and wrenching till about 11:30pm last night
    my woman was not very happy.

anyway i started tearing unuseful crap off the bike like the rear deraileur, cassete and shifter cables. now ive never worked on a bike but if i can handle an automatic trasmission i can handle a bike, but do i need some tool to get the chain off?(my gt has the sram powerlink) what about the crank i was gonna beat it off with a hammer but thought ahh lets not destroy stuff, the front derailuer seems to be bolted around the crank with some goofy braket instead of the seattube, ive seen that before but dont know how to get it off.

before i started taking it apart i did ride it around, everything actually moved pretty smoothy(i cleaned the drivetrain up before i rode it).

so to sum up......yesterday was a good day

grasso e lento

The two most important tools in the box

A flathead screwdriver and a big arse hammer...... They fix anything wrong with a bike... That chain will come off easy with a few big strikes of the hammer....

After you have exhausted yourself with the hammer and screwdriver method..... pickup one of those biking catalogs you have and look in the tool section.... They have everything you will need Mr AAMCO.

Oh and advice on the SO front.... Always make sure they know their place in life..... It's always and forever second to anything bike related.....

mtbr member
    Mr AAMCO
    That almost made me spit out my coffee

Oh and advice on the SO front.... Always make sure they know their place in life..... It's always and forever second to anything bike related.....
    before i picked up biking i was racing RC cars a few times a week for 5 or 6 yrs(it will still be my winter hobby), man did she hate that. then i baught two bikes one for her one for me, she thought she was gonna get lots of time with me. boy was she wrong her idea of us riding on a limestone path for miles and miles in the sun, is way differnt from my idea of riding through the woods getting hurt trying to do stupid things, and spending hours fixing the stuff i broke doing those stupid things. one of these days im gonna come home from work and she will be gone, she better not take any of my toys, my dog, or my TV. she can have everything else she wants i dont need a couch or a bed or any kitchen untensils lol

mtbr member
    Yesterday was like christmas.

first i got some bolt cutters and became the new owner of a beater bike.

then when i walked in the door all the stuff i baught on ebay this weekend came in
    used fork, enduro seals, and a FSA pig headset for my GT.

i was outside drinking beer and wrenching till about 11:30pm last night
    my woman was not very happy.

anyway i started tearing unuseful crap off the bike like the rear deraileur, cassete and shifter cables. now ive never worked on a bike but if i can handle an automatic trasmission i can handle a bike, but do i need some tool to get the chain off?(my gt has the sram powerlink) what about the crank i was gonna beat it off with a hammer but thought ahh lets not destroy stuff, the front derailuer seems to be bolted around the crank with some goofy braket instead of the seattube, ive seen that before but dont know how to get it off.

before i started taking it apart i did ride it around, everything actually moved pretty smoothy(i cleaned the drivetrain up before i rode it).

so to sum up......yesterday was a good day
    Chain - If you still have the bolt cutters, just snip it and get an SRAM chain. A chain tool would be helpful for sizing, but the LBS might be helpful popping a pin quick if you don't want to buy the tool. This is what you need (there are several brands, this is the Cadillac of bike tools):
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/CT_7.shtml

Crank - I'm betting it's fused on pretty well. Either the LBS or a crank arm puller will help:
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/CCP_2.shtml

That bracket, I think, is threaded on or has a threaded lock ring holding it in place. Once you get the crank arm off, you should be able to see what you need to do.

Here is the Park Tool index for what you may need:
    http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex.shtml

Good luck!
    Ventana El Rey - 3x9
    Schwinn High Plains w/ drop bars - 3x8
    Surly Ogre - Alfine 8/SS

grasso e lento
    One of these days im gonna come home from work and she will be gone, she better not take any of my toys, my dog, or my TV. she can have everything else she wants i dont need a couch or a bed or any kitchen untensils lol

Well I say take the dog also because man I am so tired of picking up dawg crap, paying for the vet bills, getting the lic for the fools.... All for what? To have them sleep all day?? Take the tv also.... It's too expensive and you can watch movies on the computer... Your toys? Well that is just too freaky to comment on...

-Dude

mtbr member
    the computer is hers so i need the tv lol, plus its a 44in lcd that cost more than everything i own except for my car(she can take my car i dont want it)

ive grown up always having dogs, i cant imagine not having one, she can keep the cat tho.

[QUOTE]Your toys? Well that is just too freaky to comment on... [QUOTE]

when i say toys i mean my bikes, my rc cars, my home audio stuff, and my xbox

grasso e lento

yup

Well I have also had dawgs all my life and well at some point you understand they are just like kids that can't talk.... Everyone wants one but not a single person that really wanted the pet is willing to take care of it....

As for the TV; do not let her take that and guard that with the dawg...