How Would You Build Based on This Scenario?- Mtbr.com
    Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006

How Would You Build Based on This Scenario?

Hi Everyone!

Based on this scenario how would you build a new Ibis Tranny? I have a 07 Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon set up 1 x 9. Will have a Niner One 9 built up in a couple weeks. That being said how would you build the Ibis Tranny sitting in my garage waiting to be built!
    1 x 9?
    2 x 9?
    3 x 9?
    or single?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sell it? You've already got one 1x9 bike and you'll be building up a One9 as an SS I'd assume, thus the tranny is rather redundant in any setup, plus the One9 is going to be a much better SS since it's a 29er.

Retro Grouch
    Hmmm; let's see you are on a Singlespeed forum, you have one multi-speed bike and you are going to get another supposed singlespeed bike, and you want to know if you should build a singlespeed compatible Ibis Tranny into a singlespeed. Gosh, you know I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest you build the Ibis into a singlespeed. But don't take my word, there are about 38 other registered singlespeeders logged on right now that may have a different opinion; but I doubt it..
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Hmmm; let's see you are on a Singlespeed forum, you have one multi-speed bike and you are going to get another supposed singlespeed bike, and you want to know if you should build a singlespeed compatible Ibis Tranny into a singlespeed. Gosh, you know I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest you build the Ibis into a singlespeed. But don't take my word, there are about 38 other registered singlespeeders logged on right now that may have a different opinion; but I doubt it..
    Yeah I thought about that before submitted it, but wondered if even singlespeeders would think it redundant to have both a 26er and 29er single...apparently you do not! Haha! Do you have both a 26er and 29er singlespeed? If so which do you prefer and why?

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Sell it? You've already got one 1x9 bike and you'll be building up a One9 as an SS I'd assume, thus the tranny is rather redundant in any setup, plus the One9 is going to be a much better SS since it's a 29er.
    That's what I'd do too....if it were 29er I'd build a second SS.

Yup! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by phatyres
    Yeah I thought about that before submitted it, but wondered if even singlespeeders would think it redundant to have both a 26er and 29er single...apparently you do not! Haha! Do you have both a 26er and 29er singlespeed? If so which do you prefer and why?
    29er! For better traction, cornering, momentum, all the stuff listed in the FAQ....requires a slightly different riding style though to take full advantage of it.
    Get off the couch and ride!

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006

Two Singlespeeds: One 26er and one 29er!?

Alrighty...two singlespeeds: one 26er and one 29er...too cool or too redundant!?

Retro Grouch
    No, I have two 26" SS, one hardtail and one rigid. While I am curious about a 29er, it's not yet to the point that I want to buy one; still you can never (ever) have too many bikes (I have 12+; mostly road and track) so the idea of a 26 and 29er appeals to me (too cool).
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    2 SS, one 26", one 29" sounds like a solid plan to me. I had a Schwinn Homegrown rigid SS (26"), then a Fetish HT SS (26"), then a Monocog 29er SS, then reverted to the Homegrown. That was stolen a few months ago and I just bought a Vassago Jaberwocky (29"). I wish that I had the money (or the room) to have a 26" and a 29", because I've ridden several trails on both wheel sizes and I don't feel like one wheel size is superior in all cases.

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006
    No, I have two 26" SS, one hardtail and one rigid. While I am curious about a 29er, it's not yet to the point that I want to buy one; still you can never (ever) have too many bikes (I have 12+; mostly road and track) so the idea of a 26 and 29er appeals to me (too cool).
    aka brad, Thanks for your input! Two 26" SS!? Sweet! 12+ bikes!? Sweeter!! While I have ridden and raced bmx bikes for a long time my mountain bikes have all been geared! I have 11 bikes presently, but will have 13 in a few weeks once I build up the other two bikes! My ultimate game plan (assuming my wife doesn't divorce or kill me!!) would be to build the Ibis Tranny as a single hardtail, build the Air 9 as a single hardtail...and then....wait for it...build a custom rigid 26" or 29" SS sometime next year...for funding and probably wait list reasons!

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pewthers
    2 SS, one 26", one 29" sounds like a solid plan to me. I had a Schwinn Homegrown rigid SS (26"), then a Fetish HT SS (26"), then a Monocog 29er SS, then reverted to the Homegrown. That was stolen a few months ago and I just bought a Vassago Jaberwocky (29"). I wish that I had the money (or the room) to have a 26" and a 29", because I've ridden several trails on both wheel sizes and I don't feel like one wheel size is superior in all cases.
    pewthers,
    Bummer to hear that your Homegrown got stolen! A long time ago, one of my race bikes got stolen and then 30 minutes later I had it back because I had my whole family scour a neighborhood Rambo-style!! The crook's friends told me where it was and to please not hurt him! I don't think that kid tried to ever steal another bike again!
    I appreciate the positive feeback about having two SS bikes! That is how I figured in demented head why the two SS bikes were needed! If given the chance my wife would hunt and kill all of us bike addicts giving each other advice of how to build and bring more bikes into our home!! Haha!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think it is appropriate to have several SS. I have a 650b front and 26" vintage Rockhopper, which is my main ride, and a KM. My only road bike is a Soma Rush. Three bikes, three gears. No suspension. I have two other SS on my wish list.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I have one of each, and I like them both. They're both steel, rigid relatively inexpensive frames, but they're different enough bikes that I don't just feel like I have two of the same thing.

For example I wanted to do some BMX racing, and the smaller the wheel the better, it seems, so I'm using the 26er and hearing all about my "huge wheeled mountain bike," from all the 24 inch wheeled crowd.

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    I have one of each, and I like them both. They're both steel, rigid relatively inexpensive frames, but they're different enough bikes that I don't just feel like I have two of the same thing.

For example I wanted to do some BMX racing, and the smaller the wheel the better, it seems, so I'm using the 26er and hearing all about my "huge wheeled mountain bike," from all the 24 inch wheeled crowd.
    ShadowsCast, thanks for the feedback! I have both wheel sizes when it comes to bmx. 20" and 24" and the bikes do ride differently...when I raced these bikes I used to call my 20" my Porche and my 24" my Cadilac! It would be interesting to show up with a rigid single 26" and snap out of the gate full moto style brrraaap!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That Tranny would make a nice SS. I don' t see a need fro another 1x9. (IMO)

I'm just messing with you
    Not sure I'd want to endure the witty banter at the trailhead if I was to show up riding a tranny.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Ovaries on the Outside

ding ding!!

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Not sure I'd want to endure the witty banter at the trailhead if I was to show up riding a tranny.
    We have a winner.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    ShadowsCast, thanks for the feedback! I have both wheel sizes when it comes to bmx. 20" and 24" and the bikes do ride differently...when I raced these bikes I used to call my 20" my Porche and my 24" my Cadilac! It would be interesting to show up with a rigid single 26" and snap out of the gate full moto style brrraaap!!
    Yeah I find it so funny that here on MTBR we can sit around all day saying 26ers are "kiddie wheels" and whatever else, but I show up at the BMX track with my 26er and everyone is wondering why the heck I'm riding a bike with "those huge wheels." Makes me laugh to hear the different perspectives.

Since you've ridden both 20" and 24" you've got an idea of the differences you'll have from 26 to 29. Out on the trail it's a lot different than on the dirt track, obviously, but the differences are still there, and I don't think it's overkill to have one of each.

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006

Witty Banter

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    wv_bob, Yeah I know what you mean about the name. My wife was like, What bike is that! Doh!! Here is funny link about witty banter and the Tranny! Enjoy!
    http://oli-roadworks.blogspot.com/20...ng-tranny.html

V-Shaped Rut
    Haha.... You said tranny.....

Members who have read this thread: 0