How well does the Reba XX's(or Rock Shoxs) lockout work for a masher?- Mtbr.com
    Bro Mountainbiker

How well does the Reba XX's(or Rock Shoxs) lockout work for a masher?

Hey fellas, My body is sore. Really sore. My wrists and my lower back are hurting a lot. I blame the rigid fork. I love riding rigid but I need to step up my riding to the next level, and the rigid fork is holding me back.

I am fast uphill but slower downhill and I start to hurt after about 25-30 miles. So im thinking suspension up front would even me out as a rider and allow me to tackle more miles per ride.

Here's the issue,

How does Reba xxs lockout feel for someone who mashes up hills standing? (thats why im asking in the ss forum and not in the suspension forum with all those squishy soft gearies.)

I felt an XX today and the lockout hardly did anything (granted its new and most likely not dialed in correctly yet). I could imagine it bobbing up the hills. If its properly set up, does the bob still eat precious efficiency?

Heres the bottom line, I can get Rock Shoxs for a good price because of my shop. We cant order Fox so thats an issue.

Will I be fine with a properly dialed in Reba XX? Or should I pony up the extra cash for a full price Float 80 FIT RLC or terralogic?

Cant wait to hear what what all yall mashers say about Rebas lockout
    Thanks ahead of time!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Reba XX's "lock out" have an adjustable flood gate. So maybe the one you felt today wasn't setup properly. On my Niner I've been on the fence about switching to a rigid fork because I lock out SO much... but the Reba XX works well so I will probably just stick to this setup.

See the gold knob on the remote lockout... that's the adjustment:

adam michigan karate monkey

Bro Mountainbiker
    With it dialed in, is it pretty firm? I hear they have about 10mm of travel but the one i played with had like 40mm. A tad too much in my opinion.

Thaks Adam. Hope all is well.

Sexy bike

Mudder
    I'd say its fairly firm. But perhaps the least firm out of all the shocks I have used. It has an initial compression but then its "locked out". So In my experiences it does bob a bit but if your sitting down it still takes the edge off. I just got the new 2012 fox and the lockout is by far the best i've used!
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't Make sense
    Refrigerator

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thats good to hear. Im sure the one I tried wasnt dialed in properly. About how much locked out travel did your have locked out? I have been oolgling the fox terralogic but its about twice what I wanna spend.

Dirty South Underdog
    I use that exact fork on my A9C. It's not a rigid, but once the floodgate is adjusted to its most firm setting, it's pretty damn close. The thumb button is so convenient (I mount mine in between the brake/grip), I use it every time I stand for more than a few pedal strokes.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Bro Mountainbiker
    Sold thanks. Haha placing my order tomorrow.

mtbr member

I am a big time masher.

I have an 09 Reba SL and a 10 F29. Both are 80mm travel. There is no comparison between the two. I have almost no lockout action on the Reba, no matter what I do with the Flood Gate or Lockout dial. To get anything out of it, I have to run huge air pressure on the positive side and almost no air pressure on the negative side. At that, I still have basically full travel when locked out.
    The Reba is also a noodle. I get some much flex out of the fork that the tire side knobs will rub on the bridge. Very disconcerning when running through techy terrain.

The Fox on the other hand is solid. When I lock it up, there is maybe 1/2" of travel.
    The lockout is truly a lockout. And the chassis is solid too. Turn the handlebars and the wheel turns too. Very little flex.
    I have also found the Fox maintenance is a lot easier, less complicated than the Reba.

And then there is the actual operation when not locked out. The Fox still wins. So buttery smooth. It just eats hits up like crazy.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I have an 09 Reba SL and a 10 F29. Both are 80mm travel. There is no comparison between the two. I have almost no lockout action on the Reba, no matter what I do with the Flood Gate or Lockout dial. To get anything out of it, I have to run huge air pressure on the positive side and almost no air pressure on the negative side. At that, I still have basically full travel when locked out.
    The Reba is also a noodle. I get some much flex out of the fork that the tire side knobs will rub on the bridge. Very disconcerning when running through techy terrain.

The Fox on the other hand is solid. When I lock it up, there is maybe 1/2" of travel.
    The lockout is truly a lockout. And the chassis is solid too. Turn the handlebars and the wheel turns too. Very little flex.
    I have also found the Fox maintenance is a lot easier, less complicated than the Reba.

And then there is the actual operation when not locked out. The Fox still wins. So buttery smooth. It just eats hits up like crazy.

Hmm, you think the 2011XX would be an improvement over the 09 sl? I wish I could get Fox with a discount. I would def go with that option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got the Reba RLT Ti and the lockout when on full stiff is pretty damn solid. Like mash and it won't move solid.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Good to know. I know the RLT TI have the same internals as the XX so thats a relief.

This is just a big purchase and I want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks everybody. I think im gonna place my order tomorrow. Hopefully it will be all I hoped for and more. Cheezy huh?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    I use that exact fork on my A9C. It's not a rigid, but once the floodgate is adjusted to its most firm setting, it's pretty damn close. The thumb button is so convenient (I mount mine in between the brake/grip), I use it every time I stand for more than a few pedal strokes.
    Hey, how does that floodgate work? Do you adjust it on the fly or leave it firm? How does that affect unlocked performance? Does it click or is it a smooth adjustment?

Sorry im a total noob when it comes to Suspension Tech. I have been riding rigid my whole MTB career. (year and a half)
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a Reba Race on my Jabber and have it adjusted so when I'm out of the saddle mashing it doesn't bob. It took awhile to find the proper settings, but now I never touch the lockout knob.

trail rat
    I have not owned Rebas, but have ridden them, and as stated, the "lockout" is mushy at best.

A friend has a Fox Terralogic and it is simply amazing, since you do not have to engage or disengage. Downside is price.

I have a Manitou Minute with the MILO lockout (used a RS pushlock instead of the Manitou lever) and it locks out S-O-L-I-D.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Apr 2007
    My 2009 Reba Race is fine. It's no rigid, but good enough for me. I'd like to try out a Fox Terralogic some day, but I hear issues with the 29er version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bought a reba xx and hated it. Full lockout gave me 2 inches travel. Sold it. Hope yours work bettter than mine did

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

2010 sid xx

I rode this fork for several months. Only complaint was it seem to work the opposite from what every manual or rider suggested. It was stff when open and better when locked out using gate to set ride. In the end I bled 3 small air bubbles out, whole new fork. With these being hydro-lok,appropriate oil level and bleeding is crucial. A little low on oil can cause the lockout to be less than solid. Mine has about 3/4 " of travel if force all my weight on it.(alot different than your weight distirbuted in your riding position) It could probably be stiffend up, but hasn't been enough of a bother to look into. I commute and do all of my road ride locked out with no major bob. Not alot of long trail climbs here so I don't bother locking it when "climbing". There's less than 500 ft in elevation for our trail system.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Okay, I figure a properly set up Reba XX shouldn't bob too too much. Ill have to buy and and see for myself. It seems like im getting mixed reviews here and I honestly don't know what to expect...

I am going to place my order today and I should have the fork by Thursday! I have an adventure race this Saturday that will warrant my Niner carbon so I wont switch it till next Monday. Im excited and ill keep yall posted. I will most likely need your help dialing the damn thing in.
    Thanks brothers and sisters,
    Sheepo

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    As far as setup, I find that I have to adjust the floodgate all the way to the + side. Both the '08 Reba SL and '11 Reba RLT I've had would compress about 20mm set up like that.

For what it's worth, I weigh 200+ and like to mash up the hills. I found that I just left the fork locked most of the time. The 20mm seems like a lot coming from rigid fork and I exceed the threshold pretty regularly on the sharper impacts. Those two things make even a locked fork feel pretty plush.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I own two Reba XXs, a 29er @80mm and a 26er @120mm. With both of them I had to bleed the lockout to get it firmed up. From the factory, they sucked. I could barely tell the difference between locked and not. Bled them both carefully, and they rock. Was pretty easy to do, but I didn't think to do it right away since they were brand new forks.

mtbr member
    My Reba XX on my Optimus Ti locks out fine. I would say about 20mm at most. (I'm 220 plus pounds)

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath View Post
    I own two Reba XXs, a 29er @80mm and a 26er @120mm. With both of them I had to bleed the lockout to get it firmed up. From the factory, they sucked. I could barely tell the difference between locked and not. Bled them both carefully, and they rock. Was pretty easy to do, but I didn't think to do it right away since they were brand new forks.
    Wow! Would you mind filling me in with a little more info? Were there air bubbles in the Hydro Lockout? What kind of fluid did you replace it with? Is there a step by step guide? I seriously think this could be an issue. The Reba XX lockout just did not feel right on my buddies bike.

Thanks

Bro Mountainbiker
    <rant>
    So, turns out the stinky hipsters at QBP blocked my shops ability to order pro deals and high end stuff! Since my shop is connected with the University of Alabama, QBP is afraid that this public bike shop is going to drown out all the LBS's business in town. Jeeze, I wish they knew the truth. My shop is the lowest volume shop around. We fix up college kids bikes and have a bicycle rental program. We are more of a service to students than Public shop undercutting local private shops. The only high end stuff that comes through the shop is mine and my colleagues.
    </rant>

So the owner of one of the shops in town might help me out since he feels sympathetic. We shall see. But if THAT is a no go, I may fork up the cash for a FOX Terralogic. So ultimately, Its a win/win situation.

Thanks for all the assistance guys, Ill keep ya posted!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've been racing a 2011 Reba RLT Ti all year. The lockout is firm, I'd say there's about 10mm play once locked out. I've been happy with the fork coming from fox. Fox might be slightly plusher, but I'm not completely sold on terralogic and fox didn't offer an aftermarket fork with remote lockout in 2011.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    My Reba XX on my Optimus Ti locks out fine. I would say about 20mm at most. (I'm 220 plus pounds)
    This is about dead on. I just raced my SS w/ a Reba XX at the Black Bear Rampage. Worked awesome, climbed like a champ when locked. There is some give when I was climbing out of the saddle, but like the above poster mentioned about 20mm at most. I weigh about 205 and had not adjusted the the fork. I am sure I could get it even more dialed in.

mtbr member
    I guess I liked my Reba XX more than I thought. I needed another fork for a Nimble 9 build and ordered another Reba XX, this time with the"G2" 51mm offset. I rode a a SS with a Fox with a terralogic and prefered the Reba XX. Maybe its because Im used to the Reba. I guess I have voted with my pocket book.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Hmm, you think the 2011XX would be an improvement over the 09 sl? I wish I could get Fox with a discount. I would def go with that option.
    Spending the extra money to get a fox as oppossed to a Rock Shox is money well spent; especially if effective lock out action is important to you.

The quality of a Fox is SLIGHTLY better than rock shox (IMHO).

But where it truly shines is the lock out.

A fox fork locked out won't budge (unless it is having a significant mechanical failure). It is solid! Furthermore, the range of open-stiff-locked is much more adjustable than Rock shox. Rock shox tned to go from open to locked(ish) with little in between. On a fox, having it halfway locked really does make it stiff but not locked out... with varying degrees between open and locked.

Chilling out
    I dunno - I think it's a whole mess and that we'd see variance on both vendors forks out of the box. I'd HOPE that Fox has more consistent factory build quality but I wouldn't BET on it.

My last personal experience with a Fox was an '02 Vanilla RLC though so it's kind of dated - but yeah the lockout on that was freaky solid when hit.

I've worked with about four or five Rebas since then and the only operation problem I've seen was that the fork didn't have enough/correct oil in the damper for the lockout to function properly.

With the XX (which as it happens I just got one and put it on my own MCR-9) there's this new thingy with an extra hydro tube. I figured that since I'm accustomed to hydro brake maintenance it'll be no big deal if I need to work on it.

BUT, mine seems to work fine. Had it out last night for it's second ride (picked the fork up last w/e) and dang but the xloc is convenient. It's going to take a ton of riding though to figure out where I want the floodgate set ... nice range of change on the feel from full-out to full-in. Interesting how it relates to the change of feel of the lockout too.

But, when locked out, I was getting maybe 10mm of motion. For me, that's desirable, because on longer rides I see myself locking it out more for climbing when tired and that's also when I'm likely to forget to unlock it for a descent. ;^)

Bro Mountainbiker
    Bear, funny you should post this, I just got mine in yesterday. I cant freaking wait to hook it up. Your review makes me feel better about my purchase too.

So far, I have only played with the floodgate when compressing the fork on the floor uninstalled. Honestly, I could hardly tell a difference except that I got less lockout out travel with the knob to the +gate side.

Can you fill me in on what the heck it actually does?
    Thanks.

And unfortunately, I ordered the fork, then realized I wanted to race cross on my J-Wok. So she will stay in the box till January

Bro Mountainbiker
    And as for the locked out travel, its okay because it seems low rebound. Like the fork wont bob even though it tracks a little. Thats my take on it from riding a buddies bike.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Can you fill me in on what the heck it actually does?
    Disclaimer: I'm NOT a RockShox rep NOR a pro wrench NOR suspension guru.

I have had reason to do a ton of reading (www sites, technical manuals, etc.) over the past six months on the RockShox dampers because both my bikes now have said forking (my other bike is a Titus Super-Moto with a Boxxer). Being that I've been doing a lot of DH/FR and some DH racing this year, having a base understanding of How It Worked so I could tune it to taste without using random numbers seemed a good idea. I'm happy with how things are working at this point.

That said.

My understanding of the MoCo damper and FloodGate is that it is that....

MoCo basically has a threshold below which it doesn't want to let oil past, this inhibits compression, providing compression damping - "anti bob" - whatever you want to call it. At "threshold" the spring tube in the MoCo damper compresses from force of oil opening up to allow more oil through and allowing the fork to compress more easily.

Increasing the damping force / slowness (going "turtle") basically closes down the passages that allow compression-force oil past, further inhibiting the flow and stiffening the feel of the fork, potentially also firming-up the resistance and changing the threshold at which oil can start passing freely to require more force.

I do not know specifically how the XLoc implements the lock-out feature - I'm guessing that it results essentially in a piece of metal or plastic being moved in to further- or more-completely inhibit the compression flow through the ports in the damper.

Similarly, screwing in the floodgate adjuster at the XLoc level I *imagine* just changes the "base position" of whatever part is under control of the XLoc, biasing the fork to "more stiffness" in one direction or "more open" in the other.

In my mind's eye, I imagine the tip of a No. 2 pencil being pushed into a hole just narrower than the width of the pencil. The further you push the smaller volume the remaining open space has and the more restricted fluid would flow past it. I kind of doubt this is precisely what is going on inside the XX, but then I haven't taken it apart yet to see (and won't if I don't have to - I'd rather ride than wrench).

An XLoc system with air in the line would work erratically, maybe, probably just not moving the "piece" through the full range of motion because the air in the line would not force it down (when you press in the button) nor pull it all the way back (when you hit the button to cause it to extend).

Depending upon what is really physically happening in the damper I can imagine this exhibiting behavior from "just not locking out completely" to "locking out when it should be releasing" and other kinds of screwiness.

This would happen merely because the air pocket is compressible - it's not suspension oil after all. This would be why "bleeding" the XLoc system would fix that problem - the process of bleeding removes the air from the system, just like on hydro brakes.

Good luck on the CX season!

mtbr member
    The MoCo damper includes a blowoff valves that bypasses your main compression damping setting. The Floodgate controls what the threshold is for activating this blowoff. I don't really know the details of the xloc activation system but I definitely agree that an improperly bled system would add problems and confusion

Even with a high compression setting you can still get noticeable bob if the Floodgate is set too low as it will be easily bypassing your compression damping

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thanks Bear and Boomn. I am starting to figure it all out but the true practical knowledge will come from setting it up and dialing it in.

Thanks again guys!