how well do these hanger mounted tensioners work?- Mtbr.com
    29er
    Apr 2010

how well do these hanger mounted tensioners work?

I want to build a single speed and can get a multi speed frame really cheap from someone local. Should i get it and run a derailluer hanger mounted tensioner? Or wait and get something with sliding drop outs

mtbr member
    I've run a Surly in the past and a Gusset one more recently.

The Surly makes removing the wheel as easy as with a derailleur, but also allows for some chain movement. The Gusset is rock solid, no chain movement at all but removing the wheel takes more effort.

You could always look into the "magic gear"...I found it on the bike I was running the Gusset but didn't like the ratio.

mtbr member
    The Paul Melvin is decent but pricey compared to the Surly. When I ran the Surly in the push up position I would also zip tie it to the chain stay to maintain tension because the spring is sort of weak. Worked fine that way til the ziptie broke so I would carry spares. Does the frame your looking at have vertical or semi horizontal dropouts? My first SS conversion had the semi horizontal ones and I dremeled them evenly to fit a magic gear on. Lastly, why not convert your Nimble 9 to SS?

I'm just messing with you
    I ran a Surly for a while without any problems. Be sure to use the right spring for push-up or push-down.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Trouble with those with the roller like the gusset bachelor is that they are so frickin noisy I couldn't live with mine.

mtbr member
    I was very happy with my DMR fixed tensioner.
    Signature

Now broadcasting from CO
    I've used the Surly one in the past and it always worked well, even for MTB riding. I found that it works better when you flip the spring so that it pushes the chain up instead of pulling it down. I've even had luck using an old road derailleur and blocking the limits out so it gives perfect chainline. That is the poor-man's option.
    Brought to you by rocks.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    The Paul Melvin is decent but pricey compared to the Surly. When I ran the Surly in the push up position I would also zip tie it to the chain stay to maintain tension because the spring is sort of weak. Worked fine that way til the ziptie broke so I would carry spares. Does the frame your looking at have vertical or semi horizontal dropouts? My first SS conversion had the semi horizontal ones and I dremeled them evenly to fit a magic gear on. Lastly, why not convert your Nimble 9 to SS?
    I run a Surly and there is no need for the ziptie. According to the installation instructions found here: http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...leatorInfo.pdf you need to tighten the spring.

----
    Tension the Singleator spring by slipping an 18mm cone wrench onto the wrench flats of the pivot bushing and tension as follows: PUSHING
    DOWN spring, turn CLOCKWISE.
    ---

It is a pain to remove the back wheel with one of these installed, but with some practice it gets easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinter View Post
    Trouble with those with the roller like the gusset bachelor is that they are so frickin noisy I couldn't live with mine.
    I found the Surly to be louder than the Gusset

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    I found the Surly to be louder than the Gusset
    Mine was silent but I had to grease the jockey wheel to make it that way
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry to jump in here,,, but,,, I want to convert my Specialized Epic FS to SS and I was thinking of using the Tensioner from Yess Labs. Does anyone have any info or feedback about their units?

Please advise

Dirty South Underdog
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Mine was silent but I had to grease the jockey wheel to make it that way
    Hmmm will try that. I did think that the plastic roller pressing against the chain made the noise but will certainly give this a go

mtbr member

Diy

Iíve tried several tensioners that have springs including the Paul Melvin. All of them couldnít handle the chain slap and would jump off track. I made my own and itís working great. Nice and quiet, adjustable and light. I had some carbon fiber flat plate 2mm thick. So the main body is two 2mm glued together which gives it a little flex for twisting. This allows the chain to stay tight when the frame is being flexed or the cogs/chain ring isnít exactly round. The small bolt in the rear has an egged shape washer that is used to set tension against the hanger. Two long rocky rides and not one problem. Still have to smooth it out and make it look a little better.

I like the looks of that Misfit Psycles Tensioner but $54, REALLY!!!
    Iíll be posting my Melvin on Fleebay soon. One ride and couldnít stand it.. With the Melvin running a 20T cog is a problem. The Melvin needs to be just a little longer because it would pinch the chain between the cog and the pulley making a lot of noise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how well do these hanger mounted tensioners work?-carbontensioner.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by fwinter View Post
    Hmmm will try that. I did think that the plastic roller pressing against the chain made the noise but will certainly give this a go
    I was talking about a Surly that doesn't have a plastic roller

Personally, I would just have a local frame builder put some single speed drop outs on. My local guy said horizontal dropouts would cost me $75 for install and paint. Much more elegant solution for not much more than a tensioner.

29er
    Apr 2010
    im sure it would be a lot more for titanium

So that cheap frame is Ti? Yeah, I'm sure it would be more. Honestly, I'd just wait to get a proper SS specific frame. Not worth the potential headaches dealing with tensioners. ENO eccentric hub is another option, but it has its own issues.

29er
    Apr 2010
    ive seen someone run an eno hub on the frame im getting
    looks very slick

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have run the DMR tensioner both in the push-up and push-down position. It always held tension, didn't rely on a spring and was very quiet. Also very affordable.

Feel Good About Hood
    Another vote for the DMR. Didn't like the spring style, or the jockey wheel. The DMR is silent and rock steady. Have used it for several years now. Good price too.

29er
    Apr 2010
    i ordered a dmr sts

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by SworksDan View Post
    Sorry to jump in here,,, but,,, I want to convert my Specialized Epic FS to SS and I was thinking of using the Tensioner from Yess Labs. Does anyone have any info or feedback about their units?

Please advise
    i'm a huge fan of yess products and all have been top quality, function well, and good reliability.

the etr-d is a great device. imho it works better than a regular der because of higher spring tension and it's more sturdy as well. it keeps chain slap under control through the gnar-gnar unlike a der which lets the chain slap all over the place.

my .02 is pull the trigger on it. you won't regret it.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    I want to build a single speed and can get a multi speed frame really cheap from someone local. Should i get it and run a derailluer hanger mounted tensioner? Or wait and get something with sliding drop outs
    der hanger tensioners are not your only option. have you looked into the etr-b by yess? i've used it on multiple frames and it works very, very well.

review

"Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

29er
    Apr 2010
    yes, i like the design
    but the fact that it costs 3x as much as the dmr, was a big factor
    this is my first single speed, trying to keep cost down as i'm not even sure if i will like it

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    yes, i like the design
    but the fact that it costs 3x as much as the dmr, was a big factor
    this is my first single speed, trying to keep cost down as i'm not even sure if i will like it
    I was in the same boat when I built my first SS last spring. Now I'm on my second SS build and I love it. I only ride my geared bikes now for group rides.

Members who have read this thread: 0