How are "On One" Frames?- Mtbr.com
    Weight Weenie Shop Owner

How are "On One" Frames?

Any good? I am thinking of building a SS now that I am carrying these frames and makes it easier to keep the cost down.
    How is the quality? I am looking at a INBRED model. This will be my first SS.

Thanks!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    Any good? I am thinking of building a SS now that I am carrying these frames and makes it easier to keep the cost down.

Thanks!
    It's a grate frame! I bought one i January and have never been riding so much as I do now. Simply because it let me do things that was not possible before with my alu frames (a cube and a giant). At least they did not challenged me to do new things. The geometry and the feel of this frame makes me laugh when out in the forest. This sounds stupid but it is true. Ridden with a rigid fork it feels like you can let the bike decide where to go. Does this make sense?

A couple of weeks ago my friend and me took the inbreds for a ride with a bob trailer and some bears. It was amazing how easy it was manoeuvring. To illustrate it (not the best example) we took some pictures after the ride and send them to Brant (On-One). You can se them on the On-One front page.

Durability? A little to early to tell but its 4130 steel!

I have not ridden many bikes. I am sure there are other great frames out there. But it is hart to compete with the price tag on the inbred (and fork).
    Last edited by jakerollo; 05-03-2004 at 01:07 PM.

blame me for missed rides
    um, it's probably not the best for a WW though (knowing that dirt boy mostly hangs out in WW board).

Jed Peters
    Brant is probably one of the best customer service/hands-on guys in the bicycle industry.

The bikes? Well, I've ridden a bunch of Brant's designs, and they all seem to work for the purpose that they are intended for.

Plus, it's pretty much no-nonsense when dealing with them as a company, you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    You are right. If you tend to spend more time weighing your bike than riding it the inbred could potentially scare some people away.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Cool-blue Rhythm LOL!..True but this WON'T be a WW bike

I know the frame is close to 5lbs. Just looking to ride something different and to have soem fun doing small jumps and and being more aggressive.

Looking to go full rigid, Big DH or 2.4-2.3 tires, disc brakes and just basic stuff. I will try to keep it light as possible, BUT with the strongest parts that will work for me.
    Must keep the cost down on this one as this will be my first SS. I was thinking might be fun in in flat Florida.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

JRA
    mtbr member
    I know the frame is close to 5lbs. Just looking to ride something different and to have soem fun doing small jumps and and being more aggressive.
    Brant could give you better knowledge but depending on how much "jumping" and "aggressive" you plan on being w/ the bike, you might actually want to think about a Gimp instead of an Inbred.

Don't get me wrong ... I think Inbred's are tough and I love mine. Just that the Inbred is intended (I think) more towards XC and the Gimp more towards jumping. Enjoy!

Ride More
    Jan 2004

Looking to go full rigid, Big DH or 2.4-2.3 tires, disc brakes and just basic stuff. I will try to keep it light as possible, BUT with the strongest parts that will work for me.
    Must keep the cost down on this one as this will be my first SS. I was thinking might be fun in in flat Florida.
    I was originally going to buy an Inbred, but I went with the Surly instead. I live in south FL too, and the SS with discs is the best for when the trail gets muddy. For the first 3 months, I rode the bike fully rigid in a 34 x 16 with 2.35 kenda kinetics front and rear. It was fun, but my wrists and lower back were hurting a bit too much for me. I now have 100mm upfront and run 34 x 17 and it is much more comfy. Since there are soo many roots, your hands really take a beating. Everybody is different.
    Drew

mtbr member
    Inbreds rule.

i have an 853 model, rather than the DN6. i love this bike.

singlespeed smash brother
    Two years on an ebb imbread and still loving it. It rides like it's psykic. I would keep those jumps small tho. I trashed my first frame inside 2 weeks because I thought it'd be up to a 4 ft rock drop. Admittedly I landed nose first but I just thought I'd make the point that it isn't a hucker. It is however a tough as nails agressive trail bike. I've raced 2 seasons on it and a 12 and 24 hr as well. If I was concidering upgradeing I'd step up to the ti.

I love my imbread.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Just XC jumping and such...

I am not too agressive on my KLIEIN, using CrossMax Wheels and light parts.
    Just looking to go SS with a frame that is beffier and steel. Both will be stronger than my KLEIN.

I am not going to do anything that crazy! Just wnat a nice SS for cheap that can handle a lot of roots and more aggressive riding than my KLEIN.

Thanks everyone!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Gimps Rule!

My regular XC ride is a Spot, but I recently built up a Gimp with a 5" travel Sherman fork. This thing rocks, and is totally bomb-proof. This last weekend some of my buddies talked me into going up to Bootleg Canyon for the DH races. I raced the extended DH and won my class, and was third fastest overall. I decided to do the full-on DH course as well on Sunday. I was the only one rocking a SS hardtail, and didn't do too badly(made it down the MTN in one piece). The course was probably the most technical DH course in the US used for actual racing. I did get passed near the end of my run by a chick though! I dont feel too bad, as it was world class DH racer Sabrina Jonnier. That chick can ride! She was totally cool, and hung out and BS'ed with us. Plus she has this totally sexy French accent!

mtbr member
    I remember your trashed frame schwinboy... we've actually monkeyed about with tubes since then and have now got a frame that we're not actively selling as anything other than an XC frame, but we're just NOT getting any returns that have been crashed and broken. We've had a few people we've helped out with our crash replacement warranty (3yrs, half price) with those early models, but later models - nothing...

We increase the downtube thickness by 0.1mm, and then to save the bit of weight that added, switched to butted seatstays.

Somewhere in the future we're doing a sliding dropout version in steel, like the Ti one you can see here:-
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/slidingtiinb...gtiinbred.html

That'll be to replace the EBB model that we've only got in stock in 20in size now.

Inbreds (and Pompinos) are also available in the US from J&B - I have a contact name of [email protected] - but I haven't spoken to him yet - Pete from ZedSport (http://www.teamplanetx.com) has been brokering the deal to get our stuff into shops in the US.

So anyhow. "Props" as I believe you say, to all the on-one owners and future on-one owners, and people who like bikes... :-)

singlespeed smash brother
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I remember your trashed frame schwinboy... we've actually monkeyed about with tubes since then and have now got a frame that we're not actively selling as anything other than an XC frame, but we're just NOT getting any returns that have been crashed and broken. We've had a few people we've helped out with our crash replacement warranty (3yrs, half price) with those early models, but later models - nothing...

We increase the downtube thickness by 0.1mm, and then to save the bit of weight that added, switched to butted seatstays.

:-)
    Wow thats cool! It's nice to know that my trashing a frame helped out in R& D (even just a tincy bit) to create a better imbread. It's excelent that you guys realized that you could make a great frame better from feedback you were getting. Top work. Thanks to your at cost crash replacement policy I wasn't with out my ride for too long and not out of pocket either. I have to give James the ON-ONE OZ rep a plug here as well. He's a great bloke and he's always on the ground at the races around here.

mtbr member

So far, so good...

...I complained about the "flexiness" of mine here a while back but came to realize that it was part crankset (Truvativ Stylo SS) and part, well, steel. I've fallen in love with it all over again.

Not sure what the GBP/USD rate is at today but I learned that it can bite you. Be sure to factor in shipping and customs in your total price if on a budget. I got surprised, but in the end it was worth it.

The only issues I've had is that the rear IS mount on mine had to be worked down some with a Magura disc-tab facing tool to provide adequate clearance for my Hope Mini.

Only other comment would be Euro brake-line routing (right hand=front brake - good things hydros don't mind bent cables) and the use of closed hydro line guides vs. "saddles" or the twist-in style so you gotta bleed your brakes upon initial assembly and any time you want/need to change brakes.

Agree with Zonic - top notch CS.

Brant - I heard Gene O. at One on One Bike Studio in Minneapolis was trying to be added as a distributor - what's up there?

Sean
    Professional Amateur

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! sliding dropout inbred

please, please make it disc-only!

mtbr member
    J&B now an importer of on-one in the US. Though I have no idea about individual local distributors or dealers.

You'll be able to see what/where/how much here shortly (when they add quantities - they've had stock just a few days so far).

http://www.jbimporters.com/nondealer...n-one&x=27&y=6

mtbr member
    does a PX dealer = an On-One dealer?

mtbr member
    In theory, possibly yes, maybe :-)

hot like a box of fire
    what's the chainstay length on the inbred? didn't come across it on the site...

mtbr member
    Inbred rear stays are 425mm - 16.75in to the centre of the rear dropout.

mtbr member
    What is the chainstay length on the sliding dropout Tinbred?

mtbr member
    Same - but with 15mm of movement (7.5mm forward, 7.5mm backwards)

mtbr member
    Brant,
    I just ordered an Inbred from my local shop.
    What is the "Metallic Sand" color? I thought they were all white. They showed me a pic from JB catalog and it looked nice, but why the change? Any more pics of the "sand"?
    Thanks,
    Minh.

Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Jan 2004

One On One Studio & Kenwood Cyclery in Minneapplenuts

have 'em in stock. GO!
    carsrcoffins.com

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Brant...I heard

if you buy 2 steel Inbreds you get a Tinbred free. I'll be waiting for the mailman.

Dirtboy, I have an SS and a geared one. The SS is tons-o-fun and I haven't broken it yet. I've been racing the geared and giving it a good pounding. If the dollar wasn't shite right now I'd probably order a Tinbred!

mtbr member
    minh, i saw the pic you're talking about in the J&B catalog. i thought that was a printer error. i hope they didn't get rid of white. that will make me sad.

mtbr member
    J&B specced the "metallic sand" colour on all their US order. That's what they wanted, and we like to deliver what people want :-)

mtbr member
    I was really looking forward to getting white, but oh well.

Expert Pushing SSer

One word, Ok several..

Get one! It is very telepathic. I have preached before this very point. It is the only bike I have owned that right away felt like "my bike". Hard to quantify. Someone said "psychic", exactly! I have a DN6 model and it is rockin!

Mike
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    it's the crack cocaine we use in the white paint... I'm not saying what's in the metallic sand ones :-)

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    An e-mail has been sent, but do the horizontal drop-out models have disc mounts, or just the EBB? Also, any real pics of the 'metallic sand?'
    death is a star.

mtbr member
    Horizontal dropout models don't have disc mounts (as disc mounts on horizontal frames don't work too good for quick wheel changes or just keeping-things-in-place with QRs and stuff.

No pics of metallic sand either -that's a US paint scheme I haven't seen.

Singlespeeder Downunder
    Jan 2004

Metallic Sand

Webcyclery have a pic of the metallic sand inbred. Not a greta pic, but gives you an idea of the shade.

jag

mtbr member

I've got one.

I've just got one of the new frames in. I'll try and post a pic...

mtbr member

here goes first attempt at picture...

let's see if this works.

guess not. well it is in my gallery here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by minh; 06-04-2004 at 10:07 AM.

mtbr member
    ahhh that's better.

mtbr member

Thanks!
    you're selling them! shouldn't you know how good they are?

Cheesiest
    I am in the last stages of building up a geared inbred, and can't wait to ride it. I orginally wanted the white, but the "metallic sand" is pretty sweet looking.

I've got a MC Comp on it, but I'm thiking rigid would be nice. Anyone have any experiences with the rigid setup.

Let me ask my wife

Good job! I have!

Quote Originally Posted by intheways

I've got a MC Comp on it, but I'm thiking rigid would be nice. Anyone have any experiences with the rigid setup.
    I ran the On-One fork for a time before upgrading to a Spicer Ti fork. While it handled well, I have to say the original fork beat me up quite a bit. To be fair, where I ride is pretty rocky singletrack with lots of roots.

The Ti fork was a dream, smooooth, great handling, etc. Seemed to drop about 2.5lbs off my bike. I liked it a whole lot. I highly recommend the bike and hope to buy a Tinbred soon. Just my two cents.
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” John F. Kennedy