How often should I clean my chain, cranks, cog?- Mtbr.com
    In the rear with the gear

How often should I clean my chain, cranks, cog?

After my first ride last week my pristine looking chain and cogs now look really grimy. How often should I clean them? I went out and got a chain cleaner. Should I do this after every ride, once a month, once a year?

Never did it on my All Mountain rig but I am going to do it in the event that I decide to sell it.

Thanks
    Get some Cycle Snack!

Iron Horse MKIII
    Q Ball 29er
    Fetish Fixed-ation 69er

mtbr member
    Never, is a good place to start. Chain cleaning is just for vanity. If you're thinking of selling the bike, buy a new chain when the day comes and you want the bike to look its best. On a singlespeed there is nothing to gain from cleaning your chain.
    Kelly deluxe - SSWC06 #25

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There will always be grime and gunk on your cogs and chain after riding. The chain oil picks up a lot of it. I never clean it off until I re-oil the chain, which is every 1.5 months or so.
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

mtbr member
    May 2005
    man, 1.5 months? what oil do u use ? mmy prolink gold doesn't seem to last long enough ...

Quote Originally Posted by Raghavan
    There will always be grime and gunk on your cogs and chain after riding. The chain oil picks up a lot of it. I never clean it off until I re-oil the chain, which is every 1.5 months or so.

i don't give a shift
    Clean and lube on every second Tuesday of the month, but never on a full moon.

Members who have read this thread: 0