How much slack will a Rennen take up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

How much slack will a Rennen take up?

I'm speccing the stuff I need to make a vertical dropout Dean to run s/s. The FixMeUp website says the closest I can get to my correct gear inches is a 36x15, but this will need a chainstay 0.05 of an inch longer than the 17.5 that I have.

Will a Rennen take up this slack, and more when the chain begins to stretch? 44x17 is perfect for this chainstay but the gear inches are a bit long and I don't want to go this big.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Rennen

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Humour
    I'm speccing the stuff I need to make a vertical dropout Dean to run s/s. The FixMeUp website says the closest I can get to my correct gear inches is a 36x15, but this will need a chainstay 0.05 of an inch longer than the 17.5 that I have.

Will a Rennen take up this slack, and more when the chain begins to stretch? 44x17 is perfect for this chainstay but the gear inches are a bit long and I don't want to go this big.
    I think the Rennen is your answer. I tried a singleator, and when that didn't work, I converted to a Rennen, which is a much better design - no spring to break. It also comes with a half-link, which helps a lot in getting your chain the right length. I'm actually planning on selling my barely-used Rollenlager (have since bought a 1x1 frame), so PM me if you're interested in it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My question is - will a Rennen make up for this much over-length chainstay? Presumably it has a limited capacity to take up chain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You can run any gear that you want with the rennen. You may have to use the half link though. If you use a half link, then you can get to within 1/2" of the proper chain length. The rennen will take up the rest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Caution!

I use a Rollenlagger and love it, but the roller is fairly wide. It can not be pushed up as far as an old-style Singulator. This can be a problem if you have wide chainstays.

I have fairly wide titanium chainstays, and the Rollenlagger bumps into them before I can take up all the slack for some chainring/cog combinations.

The half-link is a great help. Alas, mine fell apart a few weeks ago.

Good Luck,

Joe

And He was Not
    Mine bumped the stay in the up mode, but it works fine in the down mode. Been very happy with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0