How much rise is too much?- Mtbr.com
    Tribe Member

How much rise is too much?

I have been riding my SS more and more the last couple of months. I have a flat bar on there now and the long climbs are killing my lower back.

What is everyone's opinion of how much rise on thier handlebar and how much rise on thier stems...

Thanks for the imput

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    I use 69cm wide handelbar with 1,5" rise. Stem is 10cm long with 6 degrees rise. Perfect setup for me. Maybe not for you tough so try and find your own perfect setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    What is everyone's opinion of how much rise on thier handlebar and how much rise on thier stems...
    Rich
    Personally, I think "everyone's opinion" is irrelevant, given all the variables in torso lenth, arm reach, and idiosyncratic comfort/positoning issues. But I will say that going to a riser bar will lessen back strain to some degree, and you might like the more upright posture that a shorter-reach stem provides. A good bike shop should be able to fix you up with a few examples to try out (or better yet, get you on a fitting bike like "fit-kit"). Since the stem and bar are among the few things about frame sizing you can actually control, I'd take advantage of this and experiment until you find the perfect combination for you. Maybe start with a 110 reach/10 degree rise stem, and a 1.5 riser bar as the jumping-off point and go from there.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixintogo
    Personally, I think "everyone's opinion" is irrelevant, given all the variables in torso lenth, arm reach, and idiosyncratic comfort/positoning issues.
    Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing in the last few days, but I'm curious to know general stuff like how many inches higher (or level, lower) your grips are than the top of your seat. Even measurement between seat and bar in stem would be so different here as to be of little use. I think the rest of this info may better fall into place in refference to this thread's topic if we compared bar height on our singlespeeds in general though.

My seat and stem length are exactly where I like them and my grips (center) are about 2" higher than the top of my seat, and I feel like I'm hunched over a little too much on some climbs, maybe would like a little more upright climbing possition out of the saddle to take some stress off the back and arms and use more of my weight and leg motion to climb with. My stem is at the top of my steerer and it looks like a 10 degree stem, so don't really want to put a higher rise stem on. 1.5" riser bar too, don't really want to put higher bars on. I have only 7mm of spacers below my stem, and I know someone is going to tell me that I need more steerer tube on my fork. And I was thinking new fork anyway, so... on the last three bikes I built I purposely left 20-30mm of extra steerer for spacers and ended up with some spacers on top of my stem in all cases...

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    I have been riding my SS more and more the last couple of months. I have a flat bar on there now and the long climbs are killing my lower back.

Thanks for the imput

Rich
    Personally, higher bars make my lower back hurt on long climbs. I like to have my hands around 4-5" below my saddle.

It does help to have bars that allow you to vary our position.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Medium?

Hmm. Small world.

Members who have read this thread: 0