How much is my Bianchi frame worth- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How much is my Bianchi frame worth

Hey Guys,
    I was thinking of making a singlespeed out of this frame but never got to do it. I have another bike that I ride so that's why this project never got going and now I am in need of money and I am thinking of selling this frame. How much do you think it is worth?

Here are some specs:
    The frame is a vintage Bianchi from mid 80s(don't know the exact model). This frame was powder coated celeste green by the first owner. The frame is 56cm. The frame is made from Columbus SL tubing and has horizontal dropouts with 120mm spacing in the back. The frame comes with Benotto fork that is also from the mid 80s. Also included with the frame is 2006 Campagnolo Veloce Crank set (53 chainring) and the bottom braket(36x24f). The frame also comes with the Ofmega headset. The frame has some scatches but nothing major. I was thinking of selling it with all of the listed parts for $250. Is that too much to ask? I have been trying to sell it locally but had no luck so far so I might put it on ebay.

Here are some pics of the frame:

Thanks for the help!

The Duuude, man...
    I would keep it and make a project out of it.

I fear the cost of shipping would discourage buyers, based on the % of the total bike value that the shipping cost alone would represent.
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    I would love to build it up but I need the money.

Bike Dork
    Mid-line Japanese made with the wrong fork and basic headset maybe $50. . . $100 if you're really luckily. With the crank and BB maybe another $50. Seriously these bikes and frames really are a dime-a-dozen. They ride fine and make great commuters or fixed-gears.

Did the guy you got it from saw the bike was powdercoated, because that looks like a stock wet paint job. I've never seen powder that close to the Bianchi's original celeste if you can figure out what it's called that would be great.

mtbr member
    The guy I bought it from said it was sandblasted and then powder coated. I think he got a little bottle of bianchi celeste paint from their website and gave it to the shop that did the powder coating. And I believe they were able to match it up pretty close.

organically fed
    as is, $50

built up as a fixie, $300.

the more narrow the handlebars, the more $$$ it's worth.

hot pink bar tape adds a hundred bucks easy.

mtbr member
    LOL^^^
    It also needs a pink messanger bag
    But seriously 50 bux for all that.
    How hard is it to pack and ship the frame if I want to put in on ebay? Also does anybody know how much would a LBS charge for packing up a frame for shippement?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    let ebay decide how much it is worth, a no reserve auction always left me pleasantly surprised. there are plenty of hipsters out there that will see the bianchi color and 120 mm spacing so they can fit their Deep V wheels and bid the crap out of that

go to your lbs and ask them how much they would charge to ship it, then make that the shipping costs (depending on the location of course)
    Last edited by axcxnj; 12-12-2008 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just to let you know, paint is paint and powder is powder. You cannot get paint from the Bianchi factory and have a frame powdercoated with it, but you could have it painted.
    I'm 100% sure that it is painted, not powdercoated...just for the record..
    Also, the other posters are correct, that frame is'nt worth more than $100.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I work at a goodwill in Madison, WI and somebody donated a least from the 70s if not older binachi bike like that, but it was probably the first bike ive ever seen where the headset cups were part of the frame.

mtbr member
    put it on e-bay.

for shipping, get a bike box for an lbs. it should be free. if not, go to another lbs. put the bike in the box, and cut the box down as small as you ca get it. standard bike boxes count as "oversized" with ups, fed ex and usps and you will be subject to a crazy upcharge in shipping. cutting the box down can save you $50 or more in shipping.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff
    Just to let you know, paint is paint and powder is powder. You cannot get paint from the Bianchi factory and have a frame powdercoated with it, but you could have it painted.
    I'm 100% sure that it is painted, not powdercoated...just for the record..
    Also, the other posters are correct, that frame is'nt worth more than $100.
    I remember years ago (mid 80s), you could buy Bianchi-branded green paint in normal sized rattle cans. Back then, I bought a couple cans from a local Bianchi dealer and painted one of my old BMX bikes that color.

But you're right...you can't buy "paint" and have a frame powdercoated with the paint.

I think the real ploy behind the original post is to essentially post a for sale ad without paying in the classifieds.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    I remember years ago (mid 80s), you could buy Bianchi-branded green paint in normal sized rattle cans. Back then, I bought a couple cans from a local Bianchi dealer and painted one of my old BMX bikes that color.

But you're right...you can't buy "paint" and have a frame powdercoated with the paint.

I think the real ploy behind the original post is to essentially post a for sale ad without paying in the classifieds.
    i tend to agree about your theory about the real ploy behind the post. very thinly veiled. a text only post asking the question is one thing, but to give all the high res close up pics was the dead give away.

but in his defense, he didn't say it was powdercoated with the paint, he said the original owner took the paint to the powdercoater and had him match it.

that being said, it's still a wet paint job. powdercoat doesn't generally cover sharp edges and points with the same consistency and thickness as shown in the close up shots. one has to pay a lot of money to a top notch coater like spectrum to avoid thin spots on sharp ridges, edges, and points.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    one has to pay a lot of money to a top notch coater like spectrum to avoid thin spots on sharp ridges, edges, and points.
    Not true, you just can't sent it to folks that don't paint bikes. Painting powder correctly isn't that hard if you've got the right equipment and technique. Most non-bike powdercoaters are more concerned about getting a heavy coat without orange peeling and are set-up to do large objects. Spectrum is doing things with powder that is just amazing and pushing the envelope of the medium.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    Not true, you just can't sent it to folks that don't paint bikes. Painting powder correctly isn't that hard if you've got the right equipment and technique. Most non-bike powdercoaters are more concerned about getting a heavy coat without orange peeling and are set-up to do large objects. Spectrum is doing things with powder that is just amazing and pushing the envelope of the medium.
    didn't say one has to use spectrum, i said someone "like spectrum". i.e. someone who does bikes, knows what it entails to do the job right, and will do it.

to do bikes right takes more than just media blasting and coating; hence it WILL cost more than taking it to someone who just shoots and bakes. in other words, a "top notch powdercoater".
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

The Duuude, man...
    I tried to be soft with my first post, but since others have repeated, I'll be a little more clear, but not crude.

It's only woth 50 bucks. It'll cost 40 to ship. That's 90 bucks to a buyer who is only willing to pay 50. Translation: not worth anything, unless you can find a local buyer.

The formula/relationship part i meant was: when the shipping costs represent a significant portion of the items value, it doesn't sell.... in this case, shipping is nearly 100% of the items value.
    FS: Everything

Members who have read this thread: 0