How much does your riding schedule change...- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

How much does your riding schedule change...

Ok, so over the summer I was getting out about 4-5 days out of 7. I was able to ride right after work or while my daughter was at soccer practice (the fields were right across the street from the trail head ) But now daylight savings time has kicked in and the weather has rained like every couple of days and I am just finding it harder to get out. It doesn't help that my daughter now practices indoors and the main trails I used to ride close for the winter (and for hunting!) My goal is to get myself back on track here and get back out there. I plan on riding this evening and then either Sat or Sun with a friend of mine out near his place (new trails=new fun!)

I do have a lighting system (one for the bars and another for my helmet) and have done some night riding. I think the weather has been slowing me up more than anything. Its one thing to ride in the mud and screw the trails up. Its another thing to ride in the mud with leaves covering everything and getting screwed up by the trails.

Those of you that live in areas where the seasons never change need not comment. You guys suck!

MSH
    mtbr member
    Since moving from the SF Bay area (where you can pretty much ride year round) to Denver a year ago I have had to adjust to the more "aggressive" winter months.
    Last winter due to a variety of circumstances I wasn't able to ride much at all (either indoor on my rollers or outside).

# of hours riding/training this winter vs this past spring/summer will be on avg close to the same, it's just more variety and creativity to get the hrs. Unfortunately, for me indoor roller work is inevitable...

This year...I'm gearing up to still ride outside as often as I can (to avoid the indoor roller work as much as possible) and make every effort to work on a nice winter base so I'm better off going into next season's races than I was this past season

- CX/winter bike currently being built up. Will have one wheelset with some studded tires (Schwalbe Marathon Winters or Nokian W106's) so I can get out on road rides even when the roads are iced up

- For snow riding on the MTB I wish I could get a snow bike but wife would kill me, so I'm just going with the bigger volume tires (both my MTBs are 29ers) and will run at lowest pressures possible. Conti MK 2.4's on the singlespeed and Racing Ralph 2.4's on the Racer-x)

- When all else fails it's all about roller time indoors on my road bike and I cross train (now-end of February) 1x-2x a week running at this time. Going to probably invest in some snowshoes this winter to do that to

Low Rep Count
    Sounds like you got a plan. I don't have a road bike any more or indoor trainer but I do have a gym quality spin bike in the basement that I ride. I hate it. I hate sitting in place and not doing anything. But it is better than nothing and I am sure that will be starting up again soon enough.

I can't run like I used to after knee surgery though I think that is just more of an excuse to not run. I was forced to run and carry heavy loads when in the Army (ranger) and now I highly dislike running!

I totally know what the CO weather is like. I lived in the springs for 3 years and my mom is still out there. I guess I did not take it as serious back then. I mean I was younger and could just hop on the bike and go and still be competetive on race day. When the winter hit and the snow fell, I turned into a snowboard bumb when I lived there. I guess that is still good exercise mind you.

Hell, I think they are talking about us getting some flurries on Sunday out here in MD. Sucks because i have a ride planned already for that day! I think I am going regardless. I am dieing not being able to get out on my bike right now. Heck I'm leaving the office in 5 minutes and heading home for a ride today!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I only ride (singletrack) 1-2 times a week year round. It rains for eight months in the PNW, so if rain is curbing your enthusiasm, maybe you just need to HTFU.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    they make these things called "road bikes" . . .

I'm only able to get out on the trails 1 or 2 times a week at most...it's a good 25 minute drive to the nearest trail, so the rest of the riding is always road. I work from home, so I squeeze in a road ride whenever work allows (usually lunch time).

Both my kids are out of soccer now that its winter, so it frees up more time on the weekends...i'll probably get more miles in the next couple months than I did while soccer was going full swing.

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was riding allot this spring 4-5 times a week I was in the best shape I have been in, in years even did good at a few races I tried.

Mid July my daughter was born and I now am having a hard time finding time to ride. I work nights 10 or 12 hours my wife works days so I have my little girl during the day and the wife has her at night. I ride a little after work but going out at 3 or 4 A.M. by myself it gets hard to get motivated. Also in Wisconsin its getting cold at that time and the snow is coming. Itís going to be rollers in the house this winter.

Low Rep Count
    First off, I have had road bikes. I mean REALLY nice road bikes. I raced for a good 11 years of my life and was close to upgrading to a CAT 2. But I was in the Army and got relocated to Panama and there was no where to ride.

In any case, I don't have a road bike any more. Long story and I won't get into it. Right now I am trying to rebuild my SS over the winter so all my money is going to that. I do have a professional spin bike in the basement that I will be spending time with here again real soon.

Umarth, I apologize for complaining about the rain. Seriously. I was in Seattle a few years back for 7 days and it rained on 6.5 of them! I feel your pain.

I did ride today and thought I was going to die. It was about 42 when I went out and I felt pretty good. By about the 3rd mile, I was getting cold as it was getting dark. At 3.5 I turned around to come home w/ lights on. I'm not going to lie, I have been off the bike for a good 3 weeks or so now simply because of weather or my schedule. I was sucking wind something bad out there. My legs felt like they were going to explode and my lungs were on fire! I swear every time I looked at my hr it was around 172! I was having a great time being out on the bike but was suffering the entire time. Man, you lose so much cardio so quickly it is ridiculous! Will be recovering tomorrow and then going on a ride with a friend on Sunday. Hopefully I will survive.

Low Rep Count
    ADV, I know it sucks. I have 3 daughters that seem to take up alot of my time. But I tell you what, you have an awesome gig. You get to spend alot of precious time with your little girl. Cherish it while you can because the years really do start to fly by!

Turbomatic: Man, I wish that was the case. My daughters team went 9-0 for the season. They played in 2 different tournaments during the fall season and they won both of those. They were practicing 3 days a week for 2 hours a pop. The team is now doing indoor training 2 nights a week and games start in another two weeks. Fortunately, the practices don't start until 6:30 so I should be able to get out on the bike here and there if the weather cooperates. But today we just found out that the soccer jock just made the school basket ball team! WTF! Fortunately, I don't have to take her to those practices but she will be playing in games right after school every week (not sure how many games at this point) but who knew. My daughter played on a church team once about 2 years ago. She is the shortest one on the team also. Not sure how much playing time she is going to get but I know I will now be having to leave work early to get to the games to see her play. My schedule sucks just like alot of you guys does as well I'm sure.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I'm one of those people who would rather freeze to death outside in 20 degree windy weather on wet trails then ride the stupid trainer inside. Guess I'm gonna get a good test next week - highs in the low 40's and low's in the high teens. Probably be in the twenties when i do my rides (I'm in NC).

My schedule usually stays the same as far as days/week, but I do take more "rest weeks" during the winter. It's just tough for me to stay motivated to ride in the cold, dark, empty/not another soul anywhere trails. I love the solitude/having the woods to myself in the begininng of the winter, but it's tough to get through 3 months of it. Just not many folks who ride often enough at night to have some company on a regular basis. I do enjoy the added technical element of wet trails in the winter and I have gotten a pretty good layering system down based on the temps. I also get out on the snowboard a lot in winter and usually one of my rest weeks ends up being a snowboard trip out west somewhere.

My kid is not in soccer yet so my weekends are usually free for some sort of riding and that is the only time the bike sees daylight Dec-Feb, but having a family means the weekend does not revolve around my bike riding - quite the opposite

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i live in MD too i try to ride every sunday unless its pouring 0then its not too fun)
    but i also ride indoors two other days during the week to not let my cardio down
    and im a kid so my problem isnt being able to find time its getting adult riders to ride with

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Mine changes pretty much every week. Lately I've been doing about 1-2 off road rides per week, 1 of which is usually cross racing. A few days of road riding mixed in each week as well. All my rides are pretty short. The season is pretty much year round here in the SF Bay Area, but it does rain a lot in the winter. If it's snowing or dark out where you are, I'd just get some snow tires and mount the lights to go for a ride. I take a real bike ride over sitting in the gym any day, although for some there isn't really an option. I've also started running (mostly because of cross racing) and I'm enjoying the simplicity of that as well.

MN/WI
    I'm lucky to live in the Twin Cities and that they mostly keep bike paths plowed during the winter months. The SS MB is moth-balled for a SS-converted cross w/studded tires. Still bike to work, but the vast majority of riding is done on the weekends.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by rockintheshed
    i live in MD too i try to ride every sunday unless its pouring 0then its not too fun)
    but i also ride indoors two other days during the week to not let my cardio down
    and im a kid so my problem isnt being able to find time its getting adult riders to ride with
    Hell, I would be game to get out with you but you would probably end up riding by yourself after you dropped me.

I have lost so much cardio it is ridiculous! Gonna try to get out this afternoon when I get off work. I figure I can catch the greenway trail by my house and get in a good 6 miles. I am sure I am going to suffer but I am going to try to ride at a pace that makes me suffer. So it might only be 2 miles

CB2
    Jam Econo
    How early do you start work?
    I don't mind the cold, and I'd rather ride when everything is frozen solid then when it warms up a bit and starts getting mushy.
    During the Winter I'll ride both weekend days, and try and get out a couple more times during the week either on my way to work, or if I can I'll slip out a little early.
    When the snow isn't conducive for riding on, I'll stick to fireroads.
    I've stopped commuting for this year, but will begin again in January weather permitting.

Low Rep Count
    I gotta be at work at 6am. So riding in the morning is much of an option at this point. Hell, I might as well ride in the middle of the night if I am going to try to go out before work.

I get out of work at 3:30 and make it home by 4ish baring traffic. Unfortunately, there isn't much of anywhere to ride right near my work so going home is the best option. I can ride from my house and be on the trail at about the one mile mark. Can't complain about that at all.

That means I'm actually getting out on the bike around 4:30 so I have to go ahead and strap the lights on as it is already starting to get dark. I am hoping to do this today as I mentioned and am quite excited at the moment. Hopefully, the wife does not come up with some crap for me to do between now and then.

I should also be able to get out first thing in the morning on Saturdays at the moment as we still haven't gotten the indoor game schedule as of yet. I should however be able to get out either day though at one point or another. I just gotta get my act together and get going again.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Hopefully, the wife does not come up with some crap for me to do between now and then.
    I learned long ago NEVER STOP HOME if I'm planing on riding after work.

Low Rep Count
    I hear you man! But I have already sent the message about my plans. My wife runs a day care out of the house so she is technically working until 5:30 so it normally is not that difficult to get out. It will be a bigger deal in the summer when she wants to go ride with me. Most recently it has either been weather issues or my daughters training schedule. But I am figuring out the schedules now and have swapped my RK tires out for my Nevagals so it should be game on at this point.

Low Rep Count
    The wife strikes again! As soon as I hopped in the car to head home the phone rings. She says, "bla, bla, bla, I need to leave by 5 so let me know how long you think you will be out riding, bla, bla, bla" What??? It's 3:25 right now! I raced home, changed and was out the door by 4:00. I managed to get in about 6 miles as stated.

It sucked! I was suffering at about mile 2.5. The cold air is just brutal right now. It will definitely take a little time to climatize if you will. In the end I was riding just fast enough to stay upright and make it home without walking. I walked in the door at 4:50. Wow, I am out of shape! But I got a ride in and did not have to use my lights (I had them packed with me though!)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    The wife strikes again! As soon as I hopped in the car to head home the phone rings. She says, "bla, bla, bla, I need to leave by 5 so let me know how long you think you will be out riding, bla, bla, bla"
    I'm sending this section of your post to your wife.

Low Rep Count
    Oh here we go! Like I need more dama in the estrogen house!

Members who have read this thread: 0