How Much Chain Tension or Slack on my MC29er?- Mtbr.com
    Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008

How Much Chain Tension or Slack on my MC29er?

Cross post from the 29er forum... My apologies if this has been brought up before. My Google Fu is weak today...

At almost 760 miles I'm pretty sure the KMC chain on my Redline Monocog has stretched (though I haven't measured it) and after last night's ride I loosened the axle bolts and the chain tugs and started fiddling with the chain tension. After 40 mins I still wasnt satisfied with the result. I looked like to me that there is still too much slack on the chain.

How much slack on the chain is ideal? Right now at the middle of the chain I can move it up and down about an inch and at the chain ring at the 11 o'clock position I can lift the chain about a quarter of an inch. Cranks spin backwards freely at the moment but when I pedal it makes the sound similar to cross-chaining.

Could it be that my chain is too stretched and worn out and needs replacement? I'm not a masher but I am a heavy fella and 760 miles on a ss chain sounds about right yes?
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    here

Try Sheldon Browns site as a starting point here on chains.

also recently asked and posted in this forum here and here and here too

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dial Tone
    My apologies if this has been brought up before. My Google Fu is weak today...
    PATHETIC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Depends which KMC chain you are talking about. If it's the one that came with your bike.....Do yourself a favor and toss it!
    I always had problems with stretching chains with low mileage and then i switched to an 8 spd sram chain and never had another problem
    Go with the PC-850 or PC-870

Quote Originally Posted by Dial Tone
    Cross post from the 29er forum... My apologies if this has been brought up before. My Google Fu is weak today...

At almost 760 miles I'm pretty sure the KMC chain on my Redline Monocog has stretched (though I haven't measured it) and after last night's ride I loosened the axle bolts and the chain tugs and started fiddling with the chain tension. After 40 mins I still wasnt satisfied with the result. I looked like to me that there is still too much slack on the chain.

How much slack on the chain is ideal? Right now at the middle of the chain I can move it up and down about an inch and at the chain ring at the 11 o'clock position I can lift the chain about a quarter of an inch. Cranks spin backwards freely at the moment but when I pedal it makes the sound similar to cross-chaining.

Could it be that my chain is too stretched and worn out and needs replacement? I'm not a masher but I am a heavy fella and 760 miles on a ss chain sounds about right yes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey al are you going to cuss him like you did me??

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyharris
    Hey al are you going to cuss him like you did me??
    my name is alex. stupid people deserve to get cussed at.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    my name is alex. stupid people deserve to get cussed at.
    You're pathetic.

I'd cuss at you except that I disagree with your strategy about dealing with stupid people.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    wow, I completely forgot about all this crap. My chain tension was good, I'm riding great having a great summer. I wouldn't had even responded to this issue if I hadn't seen it in my email.
    Time to move on to better things. No worries!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    PATHETIC.

r u trying 2 b a d!ck?

Members who have read this thread: 0