How many miles did you ride last year?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How many miles did you ride last year?

In the interest of becoming a stronger rider, I'm planning on riding every day until the end of October, starting today. My SS isn't built yet, but when it is that is what I will primarily ride during the week, with some off-road/other rides on the gearie thrown in for variety.

I've set my goal at 1000 miles by Halloween, which is a lot more than I've ever ridden in the past but still doable, I think.

What kind of mileage do you guys generally put in? Even estimates are fine... I know that keeping track of mileage doesn't necessarily fit in with the "SS thing"...

SS Chimp

4500+

between march and december

mtbr member

somewhere around 4000

almost all on my road bike. I try to ride between 80-120 miles per weekend. Realistically I probably only achieve 70% of the target due to family commitments etc. .
    I also try to spin about 2times during the weekdays..... which I a, less successfull at.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wow!

Wow, 120 in a weekend? I'm not sure I could find enough trail to even do that around here, and I'm not sure I'd survive if I did. I guess it might be different on a road bike? I haven't ridden one since I was 13, and even then I was jumping it off curbs and such.

That's a lot of miles!

Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    almost all on my road bike. I try to ride between 80-120 miles per weekend. Realistically I probably only achieve 70% of the target due to family commitments etc. .
    I also try to spin about 2times during the weekdays..... which I a, less successfull at.

hot like a box of fire
    these days, i'm curmudgeonly and jaded, and haven't a clue (i.e. not enough.) On the other hand, when i was in school and living in new england (a mile from the trailhead), i averaged a bare minimum of 10 (technical) miles a day, 6 days a week. With say, 20ish weeks of rideable weather during the school year, it was pretty easy to log a millenium in just a few months. If you have the free time, (and adequate trails) its plenty practical.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a rails-to-trails type deal less than a block from my condo. It's flat and wide, but it's almost always rideable (crushed limestone) and it's very convenient. I'll be spinning alot (hopefully, since I tend to mash right now...)

Quote Originally Posted by a nice cake
    these days, i'm curmudgeonly and jaded, and haven't a clue (i.e. not enough.) On the other hand, when i was in school and living in new england (a mile from the trailhead), i averaged a bare minimum of 10 (technical) miles a day, 6 days a week. With say, 20ish weeks of rideable weather during the school year, it was pretty easy to log a millenium in just a few months. If you have the free time, (and adequate trails) its plenty practical.

Has a 19 inch Unit

3952 miles

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    In the interest of becoming a stronger rider, I'm planning on riding every day until the end of October, starting today. My SS isn't built yet, but when it is that is what I will primarily ride during the week, with some off-road/other rides on the gearie thrown in for variety.

I've set my goal at 1000 miles by Halloween, which is a lot more than I've ever ridden in the past but still doable, I think.

What kind of mileage do you guys generally put in? Even estimates are fine... I know that keeping track of mileage doesn't necessarily fit in with the "SS thing"...
    It ranges anywhere from 40 - 100 miles per week. Depends on what bike I'm riding. Mileage amounts go up a lot when I'm riding the road bike more. I think saddle time is a better indicator for me since mileage will vary depending on the bike being ridden. That varies between 4 - 9 hours a week. Lately I've been averaging close to 9 hours of saddle time and 70+ miles per week.

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride

I used to ride about 4000-5000 km. (like 2500-3125 m, you crazy yankee's and your mph). But last couple years about half that, I've been working alot more.

mtbr member
    No Idea.. Lots to some... Little to others I guess. I don't track mileage on my MTB's or my Fixie.. just on the geared Roadie and I didn't check the mileage on that either.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    ~550 hours last year. I dont have a computer on any of my bikes but I do have a watch. I ride a road bike about 30% of the time. I am at an average of 13.4 hours a week so far for this year but I feel like I am overdoing it a bit an probably need to relax that a little.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

saddle time as an indicator

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    It ranges anywhere from 40 - 100 miles per week. Depends on what bike I'm riding. Mileage amounts go up a lot when I'm riding the road bike more. I think saddle time is a better indicator for me since mileage will vary depending on the bike being ridden. That varies between 4 - 9 hours a week. Lately I've been averaging close to 9 hours of saddle time and 70+ miles per week.
    i'd think that in addition to increased miles logged on the RB, your saddle time would be increased as well (since one tends to climb standing on an SS).

oh, i kill me!

i ride about 4 hours during the week and between five and six on the weekends. seems just about right for me; i'm tired when i want to be tired and have enough energy to ride when i want to ride.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    i'd think that in addition to increased miles logged on the RB, your saddle time would be increased as well (since one tends to climb standing on an SS).

oh, i kill me!

i ride about 4 hours during the week and between five and six on the weekends. seems just about right for me; i'm tired when i want to be tired and have enough energy to ride when i want to ride.
    Aah... well let me rephrase that to "wheel moving time".

Out spokin'

Bonking ... not feelin' well Not a fair question!

Last year was a slack year for me after training for the Cream Puff the previous two. I didn't keep track of hours nor miles in '03 but in '01 and '02 I amassed about 6000 miles each year. I like to try to ride about ten hours a week. It's really hard to do ten hours a week during the winter here in the Pacific Northwet, but it's easy to do 15+ during the summer months.

Commuting helps, too.

Cycling is so fun when it's a lifestyle, don'tcha think?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

It's not what you think.

I'd have to say...

I rode more than I walked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.