How many miles is a average ride on a SS- Mtbr.com
    dreamer
    Aug 2006

New question here. How many miles is a average ride on a SS

Iam somewhat new to the single speed thing, but it is ALL I ride now. Do you guys ride everything on your single speeds? I am trying to. Do you do 30miles with elevation? Iam just trying to get a feeling for whats going on with others in the tribe.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

There is no answer to your question. Pretty much every one I know that rides SSs does does not place limits on what/how far they ride because of the bike they chose to use.

Yes, we do 30 mile rides with lots of climbing. And 50-100 miles with climbing. Almost every ride here involves lots of climbing. 1500-2000' per 10 miles is "normal."

And shorter and/or flatter rides.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    14 here as well. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a singlespeeder who doesn't average 14 miles.

mtbr member
    If I go mountain biking I ride SS regardless of how many dozens of miles or thousands of feet of elevation gain.

dreamer
    Aug 2006
    Thanks, I guess thats what I wanted to hear!, Iam sure as my fitness improves so will what I can clear. I find I am doing some hike a bike which cool with me. When I go in the garage before a ride, I just can not stop myself from reaching for the MC29!
    Im sure the stares will stop (haha)

Nat
    mtbr member
    Like the others said, the ride distance and profile does not figure into my choice of bike. The gearing might, but I pretty much grab the SS for everything that's not a road ride.

Shortest ride = up and down the street, around the block.
    Longest ride = ~50 miles, 7 hours

Poorly Disguised Poser

?

I guess I am with the crowd here. My average ride is about the same as the length of the trail. I ride more if I have more time and less when I have less.

I ride SS on my roadie, and on my MTB. The only bike I own that has gear anymore is on my trainer....gotta change the resistance some how.

The SS is not what limits the distance of my rides...sometimes it may limit my speed, but not so much that it bothers me or anyone else.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

wot no bike?
    The mileage-per-ride I put on my singlespeeds doesn't differ from that of my geared bike (that is to say, when I do ride my geared bike which is way less often). The average distance of my rides is soley based upon how much time I generally can spend out riding without having my wife divorce me -- If I could average 30/ride I would but with time constraints it's usually 10-18/ride.

-pete

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 1red1
    Iam somewhat new to the single speed thing, but it is ALL I ride now. Do you guys ride everything on your single speeds? I am trying to. Do you do 30miles with elevation? Iam just trying to get a feeling for whats going on with others in the tribe.
    I initially limited my SS to my mud/rain/local trail play bike -- maybe not intentionally, but I'd always reach for the full-suspension geary on longer trail rides. Now that I've started using the SS on real trails, I'd say don't set any limits on how you'll use SS bike, ever. Those first longer trail rides on the SS were some of my funnest rides ever. Who cares if your legs crap out and you have to walk a little bit? Have a great time with it.

I wear two thongs
    I only average 5-10 miles per ride but thats cuz Im permanently out of shape
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member

Los Gatos Ride

With rollercoaster like sweeping hills in the mountains and non-ss-friendly uphill sections, 5 miles in one hour was the best i could do on a sunny afternoon and my preliminary off-road ride. It's quite a workout... if you're going XC and down a hill for the majority, I'm sure 5 could extend to 15-20. Only problem is the return trip (you go down, have to go back up!) unless you have a stellar loop planned out.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I work as a courier and a just ride ss.Year round.
    Then I go ss mtbing on weekends.Almost year round.
    Raw power's got a healing hand
    Raw power can destroy a man
    Raw power is so more than soul
    Got a son called rock and roll

98 % of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs if you are in the 98 % range copy and paste this in to your Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You guys must be single with no kids. I typically ride 10-15 miles on a Saturday or Sunday. Sometimes I'm able to get some miles in during the week.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson
    You guys must be single with no kids. I typically ride 10-15 miles on a Saturday or Sunday. Sometimes I'm able to get some miles in during the week.
    I don't know about all of the others, but I'm married with two little kids. I do most of my riding on the weekdays.

MLH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll ride anything SS. Right now I am focused on distances (70-90 miles), but that is event specific type training. When I just ride for fun I usually do 20-25, with some nasty climbs. I say: ride however much you want; if wanting to compete- ride however much your organization wants.

banned

Average mileage?

I'm kinda like Eric in the above post. I generally average only 5-10 miles. I am somewhat gravitationally challenged. But I averaged about that amount on geared as well. Right now my beloved Moto-lite sits in the basement waiting for me to come back from the She-beast 29er SS (Indyfab) The SS is all I ride now. Damn, I have made myself feel guilty. I think I'll go talk to the Titus

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm working on averaging 18 miles a day as I want to log 6570 miles this year although these miles will be shared by an eclectic mix of bikes that are geared, singlespeeds, road bikes, cruisers, and of course, mountain bikes.

My Monday - Friday commute is 18 miles (return) and I have been doing this on my rigid SS since it's set up for winter riding and has steeper gearing than my HT SS which is my singletrack bike. My commute takes me through a mix of road, trail, and singletrack so the bike has to be pretty versatile..

Last year I averaged 24 miles a day between May and October (3150 miles) and will probably log a few 1000 winter miles.

This doesn't mean I ride every day as it's important to give the body a few days of rest and recovery and I make up distance on the weekends by riding 60 plus miles.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Like the others said, the ride distance and profile does not figure into my choice of bike. The gearing might, but I pretty much grab the SS for everything that's not a road ride.

Shortest ride = up and down the street, around the block.
    Longest ride = ~50 miles, 7 hours
    Are you doing 50 miles of mountain biking or on the road?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Hope

2 years ago,i totalled just under 4000 miles,mostly on my ss,over half that on the road.last year due to work constraints and complications from an '01 non-bike injury,i logged a lil over 100 miles total...for the year.now that doc has officially retired me from my username bein legit,as soon as i heal enuff from this recent deal (furtherin of previous injury ),i intend to get back to rollin......havin normally driven 55% of aprox. 240,000 miles each year for the past 12,this'd be nearly (nearly? )impossible,but i wanna log more miles on the bike next year than driving (already had well over 20,000 drivin this year)

Look at the time!
    easy: how many gears does your shifter-bike have? how many miles do you ride it on average?
    just divide the miles by the number of gears and you have the distance you can cover on a singlespeed.
    This is kind of a reverse-calculation, as the only really long MTB rides I ever did were on singlespeeds, but I think it's save to say that this must work both ways.
    For example, I did this ride with about 55 miles and ~6,500ft ft of climbing on one gear, so that means I could easily do about 1,500 miles and 175,000 vertical ft in one day on a bike with a 3x9 setup.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    2 kids, wife, full time job, still manage a few 23 mile rides during the week and try to get a 30-35 in on sunday. long live the SS!

- factotum -
    I do about 30-60km per ride. if wheather permits 3-4 times a week. Sometimes a short 20km sprint or very easy spin - this depends on the day before.

mtbr member
    62 miles on a rigid 29'er this past weekend at the Mas O' Menas in Terlingua, Texas this past weekend.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I went on my average ride today...it worked out to being 2o miles of snowy trails and singletrack and 5 miles of road.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Members who have read this thread: 0