How many cassette spacers for a geared>ss?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

How many cassette spacers for a geared>ss?

I'm converting my geared into a ss after mauling the real derailleur, and want to know how many cassette spacers I need to do so. I figured I would get a handful from the lbs, but they were asking for $40 a piece, so I kinda need an exact amount. Im going to try some other shops tomorrow. Looking to run 32-17.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think it depends on the hub and the size of the spacers. (I think?)

I have about 14 on mine, but they come in different widths.

$40 is crazy, you could get a entire SS kit with tensioner for that!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    measure the cassette you are taking off, or the spline, and subtract the (minimal) width of the cog you are using. Divide by the width of each spacer.

I used the spacers from Misfit Psycles... their conversion kit configurator is a thing of beauty. If you get confused, just ask Peter (nogearshere) and he will sort you out.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    you just have to play with the spacing until you get the chainline straight.

here is a set of spacers for 22 bucks from speedgoat. i have this set and a boone set for my ss's.

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=113730

Sweep the leg!
    for $40 you could get Chris King drive shell spacers and save some cash. I looked at my rebuild invoice and they only charged $7 for a set.

Single speed spacing is fun. As others said, finding a chainline that won't drop your chain is tedious but well worth it.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

fpr spacers, bust up your old cassette and another one

Use the spacers in your old cassette, and get another one from an lbs. My lbs will give me worn out cassettes for free. The cassette is held together by 3 pins. File off the flattened pin ends and drive them out with a hammer and drift punch (small diameter punch)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If yer lbs is out of old cassettes/spacers or is flaking out on you with this $40/piece b.s., there's a kit from Wheels Mfg. for about $36 with plenty of spacers, a pair of "chain guides", a 16t cog (would go better with that 32t ring) and a new shimano lockring. The lbs will be able to order it or you could find it easily online.

There's scores of other spacer kits out there as well, just don't opt for the two piece ones, you want to be able to dial in that chainline and a couple mm's makes all the difference.

mtbr member
    The number of spacers needed also depends on the type of cog being used. A flat steel Shimano DX cog is thin, while an endless cog is very thick. Either way, there is no way in heck I would pay $40 for a set of spacers! For $25 you can get the Endless Fibonacci spacer kit, which is one of the fanciest spacer sets available. If you have a miter saw (or someone you know does) or some other way to cut straight, buy some 1 1/4" PVC tubing (double check the size, but I think that's right) and cut your own spacers. The tubing is a perfect fit, and for pennies on the dollar you can make all the spacers in all the widths you want.

Members who have read this thread: 0