How to make KMC half link work with a SRAM chain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

How to make KMC half link work with a SRAM chain

As I think anyone who's tried it has found out, the 3/32 KMC half link to a little bit wider than an 8 speed SRAM chain. The KMC is .3 mm wider, while the Gusset half link (the only other easily available half link) is .15 mm wider. You can make due by just peeking the head of the rivet out either side of the out plates to give it enough room, but it's always been a little sketchy. Some people have ground down the side of the KMC, but that's also a little sketchy since it's side plates are already slightly thinner than a SRAM's.

It's possible to make the KMC work, though, because it uses a bushing design. The two side plates are held together with a separate hollow pin, spaced by the roller, instead of modern design where the side plates are formed to create the bushing for the roller.

You need to take the KMC and lay the narrow part of it on a hard service, like a vice. The head of the bushing needs to be facing up. Then take a 5 or 6 mm socket, or the end of a interchangeable bit screwdriver, and put it on the link, around the bushing. Give the socket/screwdriver a couple good hits withe a hammer. This will move the plates closer together on the bushing. You'll see that the side you hammered on now has the bushing sticking out of the side plate slightly. Use a Dremel or similar to grind it flush with the side plate again. Now the half link is the exact same width as a SRAM link.

EDIT: I talked to SRAM and they said, if possible, to attach the Powerlink directly to the halflink.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 06-22-2009 at 12:53 PM.

leashem
    I got rid of my half link by filing my drop outs slightly with a chain saw file. I was having problems with it and started talking to some bike mechanics and this was the best advice I got. No more half link and now I don't need the tensioner anymore either. It didn't take much filing either.

default title
    Wow.

You really are a bad mechanic; half links are not so complicated.

The wide part fits over an inner link of the chain. Use a "bmx" master link to connect the narrow part of the half link to the other end of the chain.

Viola.

Done.

Easy.

No Dremel.
    ___
    _

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by j e SS e
    Wow.

You really are a bad mechanic; half links are not so complicated.

The wide part fits over an inner link of the chain. Use a "bmx" master link to connect the narrow part of the half link to the other end of the chain.
    I don't like mixing 3/32 and 1/8 chain parts (if that's what you meant), and I don't like using BMX parts since they tend to be lower quality and looser tolerances.

Instead of applying a cheesy band aid fix like a BMX masterlink, I'd rather fix the problem itself. Huh, fixing the actual problem, now there's a thought.

default title
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I don't like mixing 3/32 and 1/8 chain parts (if that's what you meant), and I don't like using BMX parts since they tend to be lower quality and looser tolerances.

Instead of applying a cheesy band aid fix like a BMX masterlink, I'd rather fix the problem itself. Huh, fixing the actual problem, now there's a thought.
    3/32" "bmx style" masterlinks are readily available. I only say "BMX" and put it in parenthesis so you know what kind of masterlink I'm taking about. They're not as convenient as quicklinks, but there's not a quicklink that will work with a half link.

http://bestsinglespeedbike.com/index...&products_id=6

"BMX" masterlinks are bombproof and will solve your problem without grinding anything. Just tryin to help.
    ___
    _

default title
    Like this.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ___
    _

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    They're not as convenient as quicklinks, but there's not a quicklink that will work with a half link.
    They work with my modified half link...

default title
    They work with my modified half link...
    Well, you've got all the answers, so what's the issue?

I thought the whole point was you were trying to use a half link WITHOUT grinding it.....jeeeezus.......
    ___
    _

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, you've got all the answers, so what's the issue?

I thought the whole point was you were trying to use a half link WITHOUT grinding it.....jeeeezus.......
    Did you even read my post?!? The way I do it you're not grinding the side plates, only the extra length off the bushing, so you lose no strength.

I wasn't here looking for answers, I was here letting people know of free way to make the KMC half link work perfectly with a SRAM chain.

So you start with the name calling without even understanding what I'm doing to begin with? You should probably talk less and read more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    SRAM called me back after looking into it, and said their recommendation is to connect the half link using the Powerlink. I went ahead and added it to the OP.

mtbr member

Brutal...

one guy tries to help, the other one pisses all over him.... Jesse time for you to go find yourself some meat curtains and indulge before you start pulling your hair out.

default title
    Did you even read my post?!? The way I do it you're not grinding the side plates, only the extra length off the bushing, so you lose no strength.

I wasn't here looking for answers, I was here letting people know of free way to make the KMC half link work perfectly with a SRAM chain.

So you start with the name calling without even understanding what I'm doing to begin with? You should probably talk less and read more.
    What name did I call you? I addressed you by your own moniker is all. If you don't want to be called a bad mechanic, change your name.

I was trying to show that one can easily and properly use a half link with any chain without having to grind or modify anything.

A bunch of hamfists grinding on halflinks = asking for trouble.

Maybe you shouldn't be such a hard on. You folks need to lightenthe****up.....for serious.
    ___
    _

mtbr member
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this is one of the first google results on this topic.

I got the KMC half link to work on a SRAM 8-spd chain by using a KMC master link rather than the SRAM one. The one that works is the 7.3 mm masterlink for 6,7,8 spd chains. I also have the 7.1 masterlink for 7 and 8 spd chains which was too narrow.

I have yet to see how it performs on the trail, as the side of the masterlink that attaches to the regular chain link is a little wider and there is some play.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgtlbliss View Post
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this is one of the first google results on this topic.

I got the KMC half link to work on a SRAM 8-spd chain by using a KMC master link rather than the SRAM one. The one that works is the 7.3 mm masterlink for 6,7,8 spd chains. I also have the 7.1 masterlink for 7 and 8 spd chains which was too narrow.

I have yet to see how it performs on the trail, as the side of the masterlink that attaches to the regular chain link is a little wider and there is some play.
    FYI KMC half links have been rendered obsolete. The thread is old... later bad mech found a better way... and since then the SS world followed his advice: Gusset Slink half link... bingo.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 1