How to find other SS riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

How to find other SS riders

Last week I took part in a "Round About" here in Leuven Belgium.
    About 800 other MTB riders, you pay +/- 5 euro choose your distance, get rest stations along the way with drinks and such. Well marked trails. Great Single Track and Climbs. You do trails that normally are reserved for hikers and horse riding. Basically "Critical Mass" in the woods! Highly recommend:

http://www.downhillbikers.be/pages/1...l_Classic.html

BUT... it was a normal/geared mtb event. the course was a bit silly to do with a SS in some parts.

Here though are some things that I noticed:

Belgians and Europeans for the most part are very traditional when it comes to bicycles.

• I was the only one with a steel frame
    • I was the only one with a rigid setup
    • I was the only one with a SS
    • I was the only one that carried a bier
    • I was the only one with a bike that could open said bier
    • Probably the only one who knows what 32/19 means...
    • Probably one of few that can work on a bicycle and not just take it to the shop all the time.

Is it me or is a SS just a thing of beauty?

Unfortunately my geared riding buddy was also with his 'semi-pro' completely fit class 'A' racing cousins and I had to suffer trying to ride with them.

Needless to say they were not impressed with my SS. They did kindly wait for me at different points of the course. They did acknowledge that I was sort of a Sadomasochistic.

However and this is my question: What's the best way to get the word out and find other single speeders to ride with?

I don't mind riding by myself. When I do ride group I don't like riding SS in a group of geared people. Especially when said people are fit and can average 25kph. I'm tired of keeping and riding an old geared bike just for groups, when my favorite bike is the SS.

I don't want to try to convert my buddies to riding SS. But I know there has to be more SS'ers out there. I know there has to be some kindred spirits searching.

Is there a website or a link where SS riders can register and find other SS riders in the area? Should I start my own SS club?

Thanks for pointeers....

mtbr member
    Good luck. I can't find anyone to ride with period, much less other SS'ers.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Yeh, start a SS club. Riding SS with your geared buddies can be annoying. They can blast past you on the descents and you are forced to stand a climb fast on the ascents, usually leaving them far back. You can't just sit and spin behind them in most cases..

Sounds like a cool event otherwise

rebmem rbtm
    Quote Originally Posted by brownrl View Post
    Here though are some things that I noticed:

Belgians and Europeans for the most part are very traditional when it comes to bicycles.

• I was the only one with a steel frame
    • I was the only one with a rigid setup
    • I was the only one with a SS
    • I was the only one that carried a bier
    • I was the only one with a bike that could open said bier
    • Probably the only one who knows what 32/19 means...
    • Probably one of few that can work on a bicycle and not just take it to the shop all the time.
    Dirt Rag magazine had a story about an American living/riding in Italy and listed similar observations. This guy would ride with the gearies anyway.

I haven't had much luck getting my friends into SS. Tonight I'm going with the regular Tuesday group ride and taking my trail bike....it hasn't been out much and I kind of feel bad for it.

mtbr member
    The trick is to ride with ppl of equal skill and conditioning. SS is relative. If i would have trouble keeping up with geared riders while on my SS i would also have trouble with my gears. My average speed on my local trails are actually a touch faster on my SS than my geared bike. The SS just suits my riding style more.

You could also try to charge the climbs to get a bit ahead and they will catch back up on the downs. At least then it will seem like you're the one waiting.

Dive Bomber
    In where I live SS is kinda rare except for DJ and and some teenage puberty show offs.

The only thing I can do is ride with my own pace and practice a lot, by the time I have chance to ride with some bike community what I do is just a little show offs how amazing SS is.

It's not really a show offs though, it's just me following what the crank and momentum wants as simple as that, but because of that I ride faster and end up being in the front. Few of my friends inspired by what I did about how strong SS rider is, now I have few SS friends but they still can't keep up with me even most gears aren't either except they're athlete or hardcore weekdays warrior.

So honestly it's a bit sad for me because I almost don't have ride buddies, it's just that the level is too different. But it's always fun to have stronger rider to accompany me and they're are roadies which sometimes I like to 'race' with them. I only have one speed so losing is not mater for me while if I win is kinda makes them feel lame - I got nothing to lose.

As soon as they notice you're on SS people got respect for you, end up knowing each other and become ride buddies. So what I have now is not just SS friends but few rival with same level even above. I believe if you often ride with stronger rider you also become stronger too and you only need one gear ratio for that.

I admit that since I ride SS starting 2 years ago I feel alone, because I can't find other SS rider. So actually you don't need to find other SS rider, just ride your bike and ignore the fact that you ride SS or you are a SS rider. You're not a singlespeeder, you just ride a bike which doesn't have gear shifting option.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Move to AMERIKA! Lots of SSers. Did I mention we have Hamburgers and Freedom? **** Yeah!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Some of the people I ride with ride SS because they saw me doing it having a lot of fun, and decided to give it a try. You'll meet more singlespeeders at races too. The only time I have an issue keeping up with geared riders is if there is a long, flat, super smooth section (like a road) in an otherwise hilly mountain bike ride.

@ Sheepo5669- Their beer and chocolate beat our burgers and freedom fries.

mtbr member

agree with that!

I admit that since I ride SS starting 2 years ago I feel alone, because I can't find other SS rider. So actually you don't need to find other SS rider, just ride your bike and ignore the fact that you ride SS or you are a SS rider. You're not a singlespeeder, you just ride a bike which doesn't have gear shifting option.

yesss!

here in Argentina this 29" thing has recently landed, but much more new and still not a t all proven is SS. I own a 2011 trek Marlin w/rigid fork, running 32-18, and Iīm able to keep my 26" geared friends bikes speed most of the time, in some cases (sand or short steep hills) they just canīt keep my speed wich is awsome.
    I spend more time on this bike than in rest of my harem (scott scale pro, trek paragon) they just collect dust!
    you just ride what you like!
    and drink beer, it matches SS style!

mtbr member
    We also have Dr. Pepper... use some binoculars and you'll find SSers when you least expect it.

Robtre
    Sounds to me like you have all the making of a fine SS'er. Remember the cornerstones of SS'ing: Be different. Drink Beer. Kick ass. Thats it man start your own SS group. Start a fight, not with one guy but many. Getting your arse kicked may suck but it will get you noticed. Carry a giant turkey leg and a big beer in your pack and when you get the chance, pull up to where the gearies are popping energy gels and drinking electrolyte cocktails, pull that turkey leg out and knaw it to the bone, crush the beer and speed off. You don't want to hang out with those spandex weight weenies anyway. The Ss'ers will find you.

local trails rider
    The other SS riders that I've ridden with are stronger than me!!!

Soooo, when I want to ride with others, I propose a ride on a local forum. That gives me the privilege of setting the route and pace. It is usually "gearies" that show up (if anyone does) but people have got the idea that if you ride with me you are not racing.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Dirty South Underdog
    Go to 1 tooth bigger or smaller on the rear, then go ride the trails you normally ride. The other SSers will either catch up to you or you'll catch up to them.

Nvmd. I'm a little drunk.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

beautiful jackass
    Just start drinking beer in the parking lot after rides. If you drink it, they will come.

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey View Post
    Just start drinking beer in the parking lot after rides. If you drink it, they will come.
    Yeah and get good beer not that roadie Michelob Ultra crap.

mtbr member
    I would say I run into 1 or mose SS riders almost every time im on the trails in the Houston area.

Go to a bike shop. I find that a large perentage of bike shop employees ride SS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I tried to convert the guy I ride at work with today. We ride every day and he's got me by a few seconds on every climb SS or geared.. I had him sold at first when we were climbing. Then we got on a long mild -2% grade or so and he looks back to see me not too far behind.. but pedaling like a fool at the most ridiculous cadence. He said I looked so ridiculous and he couldn't let himself be seen riding like that...

I may have looked silly, but I finished only 17 seconds behind him and we both PR'd the downhill segments.

I gave it a my all to sell him but he's sticking with gears.

I decided that if I can keep up with him, and I enjoy my SS, it doesn't matter what he's riding. Eventually I will pass him up on the uphills... sooner than later

nothing to see here
    Cruise around the tops of hills looking for riders waiting for mates to catch up. Chances are it'll be a SSer at the top first.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Go to a thrift store or the local obscure record shop.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Members who have read this thread: 0