How is an ENO freewheel better than ACS or other cheapies?- Mtbr.com
    Slow riding mama's boy

How is an ENO freewheel better than ACS or other cheapies?

I haven't been singlespeeding for more than a few months, and I'm just about done with my final upgrades (if they would ever ship my chainring at Boone).

The last thing I'll need is a 20 tooth freewheel. I've only used the ACS ones so far, I think, which run about $15 at my lbs. I've really had no issues with them, but I've heard that the White Industries (ENO) one is far superior.

In what way? If it's just durability, I figure I'll probably stick with the ACS as I've had no trouble and they're much cheaper. I've also heard that the ENO is rebuildable, which sounds nice but doesn't seem critical to me. If there's a more functional benefi (noticeably quicker engagement, etc.), I'd love to hear it

I'm willing to spend more on some items that are slam dunks, as you just don't cut corners in some places (Fox fork, thomson seatpost). But if there is nearly the same bang for much less buck, I'm there.

I have no problem spending more, I just don't know what the performance benefit is. Thanks for any feedback or experience.

Joel

rejected
    Enos are just better... they just are... the clickety bits and stuff, the sealed bits, the bearings, the engagements times are better, the eno is just better.. OK!

mtbr member

sealed

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Zoom

In what way? If it's just durability, I figure I'll probably stick with the ACS as I've had no trouble and they're much cheaper. I've also heard that the ENO is rebuildable, which sounds nice but doesn't seem critical to me. If there's a more functional benefi (noticeably quicker engagement, etc.), I'd love to hear it
    You can replace the teeth, the freewheel is sealed, so you can ride the nasty intergalactic muck and it will live longer than anything else. It is by far superior.

King Pin

Good job!

I finally had my fill of cheap clunky freewheels recently after purchasing a brand new ACS Claws 20 tooth that fully seized up just as soon as I installed her. Seized/fixed/didn't spin...nada.

I like fixie, but my freewheels should freewheel, and this one didn't.

My fixie will enjoy a quality DuraAce fixed cog, and my SS will enjoy WI ENO's from now on. I bought a 20 tooth ENO to swap with my two year old 19 tooth, as the need arises. Has anyone "worn out" an ENO freewheel yet??? I can't seem to do so.

ENO's hook up quick, don't make much noise, and just work nicely. I like ENO's.....

HIYAH
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    I finally had my fill of cheap clunky freewheels recently after purchasing a brand new ACS Claws 20 tooth that fully seized up just as soon as I installed her. Seized/fixed/didn't spin...nada.

I like fixie, but my freewheels should freewheel, and this one didn't.

My fixie will enjoy a quality DuraAce fixed cog, and my SS will enjoy WI ENO's from now on. I bought a 20 tooth ENO to swap with my two year old 19 tooth, as the need arises. Has anyone "worn out" an ENO freewheel yet??? I can't seem to do so.

ENO's hook up quick, don't make much noise, and just work nicely. I like ENO's.....

Has anyone had any problems with Shimano DX freewheels...? Mine seem to be working fine with albeit few hours on them. I have a 16, 17, and 18. The 18 has quite a few hours on it...whats the average half life?

rejected
    I think fast eddy has worn out a eno freewheel. at least the teeth have worn enough that a new chain runs rough with the freewheel.

King Pin

Smile

I personally have no issues with the Shimano freewheels, other than the fact that they come in limited sizes.

I've not seen a Shimano 20/21/22 tooth freewheel, and I live in a mountainous area. YMMV.

ENO's'r cool! IMO, ACS's can suck.

Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    Has anyone had any problems with Shimano DX freewheels...? Mine seem to be working fine with albeit few hours on them. I have a 16, 17, and 18. The 18 has quite a few hours on it...whats the average half life?

AussieLostInNyc

.02 worth

I have yet to try the eno, once I settle on a gear that will be my choice.
    I replace my shizmano with an ACS. The shizmano was better.
    Not so noisy, I enjoy the bike being totally silent. no chain slap, no ratchet noises etc.
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004

Eno is all you need...

Over the summer I tried a Shimano. After about a month it broke, in a hurting sort of way. It now freewheels forwards and backwards.

I have also gone through 2 ACS's. Both are in near fixie condition, and that is not what I want a freewheel to do.

My Eno has been solid! I do know that LakeRaven had to send his in for relubrication...or something. But he is bad ass, and is building a reputation for breaking stuff!
    bus driver wanna be

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ditto on the fact that it's sealed. I've never run an ENO FW, but can say that Shimanos and ACS don't hold up too well especially come winter with the wet and cold. Things get pretty rough in the non-sealed FWs. So it's somewhat dependent on your riding conditions. S

No relation

ENO is one backwards

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Zoom
    The last thing I'll need is a 20 tooth freewheel.

I have no problem spending more, I just don't know what the performance benefit is. Thanks for any feedback or experience.

Joel
    whereas ACS is like, sca, which is lame, and Shimano is onamihs, also lame.
    If the last thing you need is a 20 tooth freewheel, they come in other sizes.

On a less helpful note, the two advantages (beyond the backwards thing) that I've noticed are it sounds better (the SCA is too loud for my tastes - for me one of the cool things about singlespeeding is how quiet you can be. The onamihs is the quietest, but they wear out too quickly), and it does seem to engage more quickly than a SCA or a onamihs, most noticable when trying to ratchet your way around stuff.

There was an article in Dirt Rag (which is Gar Trid backwards) not so long ago about rebuilding a onamihs freewheel, so the rebuildability isn't exclusive to etihw seirtsudni, it's probably just a little easier with the eno.

The bottom line is:
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    Has anyone had any problems with Shimano DX freewheels...? ...whats the average half life?
    It varies and obviously depends on the conditions in which you ride (and maintenance you apply). I've had some [email protected] out after a short time, others last quite awhile. Thing is, you just never know when it will happen (during a race especially sucks). That's why I will pony up for an ENO when my stash of Shiimanos all die. Shiimanos are very quiet however, and I do like that.

Single Speed Junkie
    Have an ACS on one bike and ENO on the other. While I still ride the ACS it is planned to be replaced with an ENO. Can't really explain the difference, but you can tell the difference while riding. Try one and don't think you'd want to go back.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ENO:
    • sealed cartridge bearing
    • sealed ratchet mech
    • serviceable
    • rebuidable
    • wide range of sizes
    • great customer service

ACS/Shimano:
    • loose ball bearing
    • no sealing
    • disposable