How dumb of an idea is this...- Mtbr.com
    Belltown Brazer

New question here. How dumb of an idea is this...

So, I'm thinking of retiring the old Yo Eddy and replacing it with something custom steel. I'm planning on going with a 29er. I like the idea of the monster truck wheels.

I'll set it up SS, of course. But I want to have a deraillier hanger on there for a change to a 1X9 someday down the road...I'm already 40...how long will I be able to SS up these hills around here?

So, I could go with vertical dropouts and an EBB. But those damn EBBs are heavy and seem overly complicated. The benefit of the EBB is the fact that I could run disks, which is the only thing I miss from my old FSR. But, you go and put an EBB and disks on a SS, and you're getting downright piggy.

Fork ends would be cool, but does anyone make them with a deraillier hanger? Not too sure.

How about if I just continue to use my ENO hub? A nice new custom frame, and I'm going to put an ENO on it? Does that make sense?

While I'm wondering if my ideas are making sense, here's another one: I'd like to mimic my Yo geometry...with some changes. I figure the IF deluxe geometry would be about right, as that is derrived from the Yo. But, I would like it a little more "genesis style"...I like the short stems. I would like to use a Jones H bar, and don't want a stem that is a mile long...in general, how much stem do you have to add to run the Jones bar?

Anyway, looking for any input you folks might have.

Thanks.

BS
    East Hampton, CT

I am the owl
    Quick thoughts:
    - EBB: not that heavy, really only the addition of an alum. shell - Do it.
    - Discs: can be done pretty light with Hope minis and a decent hub - Do it.
    - Fork ends would be cool, but does anyone make them with a deraillier hanger?: Surly does
    - H-bars and Genesis? No. Probably best to go with a stock IF geo. and a standard sized stem which would kind of equate to the shorter stem found on genesis. Contact Jones about his stem recommendations - I run a 135 on my Ibis w/ the H-bars.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr
    So, I'm thinking of retiring the old Yo Eddy and replacing it with something custom steel. I'm planning on going with a 29er. I like the idea of the monster truck wheels.

I'll set it up SS, of course. But I want to have a deraillier hanger on there for a change to a 1X9 someday down the road...I'm already 40...how long will I be able to SS up these hills around here?

So, I could go with vertical dropouts and an EBB. But those damn EBBs are heavy and seem overly complicated. The benefit of the EBB is the fact that I could run disks, which is the only thing I miss from my old FSR. But, you go and put an EBB and disks on a SS, and you're getting downright piggy.

Fork ends would be cool, but does anyone make them with a deraillier hanger? Not too sure.

How about if I just continue to use my ENO hub? A nice new custom frame, and I'm going to put an ENO on it? Does that make sense?

While I'm wondering if my ideas are making sense, here's another one: I'd like to mimic my Yo geometry...with some changes. I figure the IF deluxe geometry would be about right, as that is derrived from the Yo. But, I would like it a little more "genesis style"...I like the short stems. I would like to use a Jones H bar, and don't want a stem that is a mile long...in general, how much stem do you have to add to run the Jones bar?

Anyway, looking for any input you folks might have.

Thanks.

BS
    East Hampton, CT
    Go with the EBB and verts with a disc mount. The EBB is dead simple and the easiest way to adjust chain tension. My next frame is going to be a 2 x 9 29er - verts, disc only and EBB.

Jeff recommends using a 20-25 mm longer stem with the H-Bar.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Quick thoughts:
    - EBB: not that heavy, really only the addition of an alum. shell - Do it.
    - Discs: can be done pretty light with Hope minis and a decent hub - Do it.
    - Fork ends would be cool, but does anyone make them with a deraillier hanger?: Surly does
    - H-bars and Genesis? No. Probably best to go with a stock IF geo. and a standard sized stem which would kind of equate to the shorter stem found on genesis. Contact Jones about his stem recommendations - I run a 135 on my Ibis w/ the H-bars.
    Agree with Joe on this one. The EBB isn't that much heavier or even that complicated depending on the one you get. I have the set screw kind and haven't had any issues and it's totally field serviceable, whereas I know you have to carry a few extra tools with the Bushnell. Most of the people I have ridden with have picked up my bike and commented on just how light it is and that's with the ebb and no real lightweight parts to speak of. Going with an ebb would solve your dropout issue, your derailleur hanger issue, and your disc brake issue.

If your going custom, I don't think it would make sense to compromise and design a frame around an eno hub when you can have it designed with all the features you like. If your concerned about weight, pass that on to the builder. If you plan on running something different, like the Jones H bars, then have your builder get in touch with Jeff to work out the specifics or send the bars out to the builder. *These are a few of the positives about going custom...

DT

Witty McWitterson
    I must concurr with these fine (?) gentlemen. In fact its the direction I went with my custom bike. Only I modeled it after my WTB Pheonix. Rick Hunter did and amazing job, and built my bike exactly the way I wanted. 29", EBB, disc mounts and canti mounts(though I wish I didn't get them). I love my EBB, I got the pinch style, and I only need one tool to adjust it, and like Joe said, they're really not that heavy, nor are discs(unless you're the wieght weenie type, not that there's anything wrong with that!).
    Just a regular guy.

34N 118W

who are you callin' piggy? :)

I'm already 40...how long will I be able to SS up these hills around here?

and I'm 40 too....easy there big fella. Ask Don McClung how much longer you can SS. As for me, I'll be riding my EBB disc'd SS well into my golden years. Unless I'm already in them. D'oh! A disc-only 1x9 29'er is on my wish list for epic rides. BTW - unless staring at an allen key confuses you, ebb's are not overly complicated.

back to the point - If you go custom, just get an ebb and a der. hanger added on. Save your ENO wheel for SS and build up a spare wheel w/cassette for 1x9'er.

Git 'er!
    HW

Cold. Blue. Steel.

A little something about weight...

I don't know the exact weight of an EBB (depends on the style), but an ENO eccentric hub is in the neighborhood of 225 gms (probably heavier) and and ENO freewheel is around 160 gms. Compared to an EBB and a singlespeed cassette style hub (like the C. King) with a cog- weight diff. is probably a wash. The EBB is so, so much cleaner and every time you drop your wheel out to change a flat, do maintenance, or whatever, you don't have to mess with your chain tension or brake adjustment. And discs (which has become the only way to go IMO, and they are quite light these days) become a no brainer. You have to figure there is a reason why so many guys on this board have 'em or are lusting after an EBB frame. I continue to dream of a Jones or a Seven...
    One last but important note; your BB is a (relatively) motionless center of gravity for you and your bike. If you are going to carry a tad bit extra weight, that is the place for it. Not in a wheel set.
    Isn't it fun having so many options to play around with while knowing you are gonna have a sweet ride underneath you in the near future?! Enjoy!
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    just got an EBB and I am never looking back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

EBB is the way...

I have two years on mine with vertical drops and have NEVER been happier. I have run 2x9 several times and really appreciated the opportunity with the verts and der hanger.

I would not consider any bike these days without it.

-t
    wow, this hurts more than it used to.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Hugh's Seven w/ EBB and Avid Discs is like 22lbs w/ a Fox fork on it. Piggy? Nah....
    Donkey's Strong 29er w/ EBB and Avid Discs is about 20lbs. I'd take that pig any day.
    Think again dude. The EBB is not complicated or heavy. Complicated is horiz dropouts that always need aligning and tinkering. The H bars are great as long as you don't have to stand up and climb...ask Donkey...he put them to the test...

But, you go and put an EBB and disks on a SS, and you're getting downright piggy. I would like to use a Jones H bar, and don't want a stem that is a mile long...in general, how much stem do you have to add to run the Jones bar?
    Anyway, looking for any input you folks might have. Thanks.BS
    east Hampton, CT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree that EBB is the way to go, and that's what I'm planning on for my next frame. I think the H-bar is wonderful for standing up climbing, by the way. Much better than a standard bar on my karate monkey IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Hugh's Seven w/ EBB and Avid Discs is like 22lbs w/ a Fox fork on it. Piggy? Nah....
    Donkey's Strong 29er w/ EBB and Avid Discs is about 20lbs. I'd take that pig any day.
    Think again dude. The EBB is not complicated or heavy. Complicated is horiz dropouts that always need aligning and tinkering. The H bars are great as long as you don't have to stand up and climb...ask Donkey...he put them to the test...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I loved the H-Bars for climbing - in and out of the saddle. I just did not care for them on the fast twisties and downhills. The W T B drops are much better for that for me.
    Like the H-Bars better than straight bars for everything.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering couch patato
    Before you make your new 29" custom a carbon copy of the Yo, do check out the 29" board about geometries. To get everything you like about the Yo, plush added monstertruck factor, you may want to change a few angles and lengths. I believe Yo's are often ridden with longish stems? You may want to lengthen your top tube a tiny bit, compensate for that in the stam, then add 1 of head tube angle, and end p with a pretty short, stable yet nimble 29"er.

If people say a Jones bar asks for a longer stem, maybe it'll also work with a normal size stem and a longer top tube a la Genesis?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

You can get horizontal fork ends with a derailer hanger. This one on my bike is made by paragon machine works.

ballbuster

how would that work....

... with disc brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... with disc brakes?
    It doesn't. I was responding to the poster's question which was "Fork ends would be cool, but does anyone make them with a deraillier hanger? Not too sure."

Belltown Brazer

Good job! Thanks guys...

...that's what is really neat about the internet. A dozen opinions about any particular subject at the touch of a keyboard.

Incidentially, for those of you familiar with semi-obscure custom road bike builders, my neighbor is Peter Weigle. I talked to him at length about the same subject and his consul was the same as yours.

Thanks again for the opinions and I will keep you posted.

Bob
    East Hampton, CT