How do you S/S????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

How do you S/S????

I tried my damnest to run just one gear on my ride today. (27 speed bike) and didn't have enough gear on the down hill and couldn't crank up the inclines.

So what gives, are you S/Ser's just all huge leg muscled animals or what???

mtbr member
    I have been SS for a year now, and before I had built my bike up I had tried the same experiment. There is no real way to re-create a SS on a geared bike.

On a SS you will be amazed how steep an incline you can power up. The transmission feels frictionless compared to a geared bike, plus being lighter. You become a master of conserving momentum, consequently your brakes get less of a work-out.

True on the downhills you find your v-max pretty quick...but thats where you catch your breath

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

gear ratios

what was the gear ratio that you were riding in? its important to know which gearing will suit you best, i usually use 32/16, so 2:1. furthermore the drive train on a single is much more efficient at transferring your cranking power to the ground, so even if you were in the same ratio range as i would normally ride you'll still be working harder with a rear dérailleur. Even furthermore, singles are light. the bikes have less parts, which equals less mass that you have to pull up the hills.

and yeah, a lot of it can be much more physically demanding that a geared bike because you don't have the luxury of low or high gears, so you really gotta work sometimes. but its worth it to me when the bike requires less maintenance and i don't really gotta think about anything but pedaling on a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Definitely not!!! I'm 5'10" and weigh 150-155ish. What gear were you pushing around and on what terrain? Push harder and keep on trying . ALSO, if you have only one gear you have no choice but to keep pushing. I tried the "pick a gear and stick with it" on my gearie and it worked decently, but there is a difference.

Is that Bill rated?

Coast

I have to admit that I am a lazy cyclist so all the extra coasting on a singlespeed suits me fine. It's that feeling of coasting that got me hooked on mtb in the first place.
    You do pay a little bit more for the elevation though . . .
    Well, it was a good try.

horizontally compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Dozier
    I tried my damnest
    _____
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was in the big ring and somewhere in the lower gear range in the rear, not sure exactly which one, I just pedaled until I found a combo that felt like I could push through up the hills and have enough on the descents.

It was a pavement/hard pack dirt ride, all uphill to start, and all downhill to finish. Basically ride up to the foothills from house and come back down.

Is the efficency that much greater on the S/S?? I am going to have to try one out next time I hit the LBS.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Dozier
    I was in the big ring and somewhere in the lower gear range in the rear, not sure exactly which one, I just pedaled until I found a combo that felt like I could push through up the hills and have enough on the descents.
    I can tell you right now, that's too tall -- middle ring 1/2 down is more like it. Yo should be pedaling comftorabley on the ~flats. You will never have enough on the decents, just give that up right now. I push the biggest gear I can possibly push up 95% of the hills, that's my moto anyhow.

Sweep the leg!
    I've been doing the dedicated ss off road for two years and I'm getting so close to grabbing the pebble from the master's hand. You can't expect to grab the pebble after one ride on your 3x9.

So here's the deal, run something similar to a 32x16 for a 26" wheeled bike or a 32x18 on a 29er. (as you didn't say which you had) Then turn your vision farther up the trail so you can anticipate what you need the motor to do, the motor being you and your legs. Think about whether you'll need to spin it up for a climb. Think about carrying your momentum more. Think about braking less and later. Try to stay smooth.

Baby steps dude, baby steps.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    I can tell you right now, that's too tall -- middle ring 1/2 down is more like it. Yo should be pedaling comftorabley on the ~flats. You will never have enough on the decents, just give that up right now. I push the biggest gear I can possibly push up 95% of the hills, that's my moto anyhow.

Well, that would explain it then.

I was thinking, WTF???, is this even humanly possible to climb with this gearing.

Welcome to the Gem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    So here's the deal, run something similar to a 32x16 for a 26" wheeled bike or a 32x18 on a 29er.
    i run 32x16 even on my 29er. it's a little tall, but i can still get some decent speed out of it if i really want/need it. just makes you work that much harder for the glory...

once you sit on a SS, vernon, you're not going to go back. it's a sickness... seriously. it's just so basic and instinctive. cheers!
    Ibis Tranny 29

Combat Wombat
    Several years ago, I tried doing exactly what you did and it is definately not the same as riding an actual SS bike. In theory, you would think not shifting and riding with only one gear would feel the same, but it is definately not. And personally, I do not put much into the "SS drivetrain is more efficient" idea. I think it is more mental than anything else. When you attack a hill with every last bit of strength you can muster because what you have is what you got and there is no "if only I would shift down, I could clean this hill", it puts an entirely different spin on your way of thinking and ultimately riding.
    While everyone has different reasons for riding a SS, the one common thing that I do believe draws everyone to riding one gear are the challenges imposed from only having one gear. It is not for everyone, but it seems most people that try it get hooked.

Brian

Members who have read this thread: 0