How do you know you are ready for 34 front chainring?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

How do you know you are ready for 34 front chainring?

Is there a benchmark for jumping to 34T instead of 32t?

I have been SS for half a year in Norcal. 15 yrs riding overall. Local rides that I have done:

Waterdog lake, clearing 99% of all uphills
    Demo Forest, clearing Sulfer spring almost to the last feel humps with moderate effort, rode up Hilms Mill fireroad with no effort
    Skeggs, cleared cross cut, Manzanita except the steep rockgarden, some trouble up El Corte Creek. (Stop and go).
    Fremont Older, cleared everything in the usual loop and still have some energy left.

My main complain is that I am running 32x19, and I found myself spinning out way too early just on the flats. I do a little road/dirt path riding. Also, at the local dirt jumps, I really can't carry enough speed and found myself spinning out way early.

Spinning out too soon is not really giving me much of a work out except when there are hills.

Am I ready for 34? What does everyone think?

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I would just change the back cog first... but either way sounds like you are ready for a 42 ring! woooooo

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You're ready when you're ready. If you're not, swap back. I think you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    34x20,50 year old in Colorado

Out spokin'
    I say you're ready.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Chumbox is right. Change the cog first to either 17 or 18 and see if you can clear those climbs.

Nat
    mtbr member
    2 teeth more in front is about the same jump as a 1 tooth in back. It's not a big jump, so I bet you barely notice a difference. Go for it.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Ready or not I couldn't say, but there are some trade offs.
    First, I'd change what ever would be easiest and least expensive, whether that is going to a 17 in back or a 34 in front, that's up to you.
    Second, you might miss the acceleration you get out of corners with your currant gear. I switched from a 32x18 (51.5") to a 33x18 (53.2") on my Karate Monkey, and didn't like it. I could still make all the climbs, but I didn't like the way it felt coming out of the corners. YMMV.
    Also, with just that slightly larger diameter, I seemed to bash the 33 on a lot more logs than the 32.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm running 34/19, and I'm not near as strong as you, from the sounds of it. Maybe I should drop back to 32/18. 54 y/o in rock garden capital New Mexico.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    i knew i wuz ready when i picked up my new 29er a few weeks ago (1x8) and it came w/ a 34t sorry,couldn't resist!

like chumbox (i think it wuz) said...you can either go to 34t up front,or drop a couple out back,whichever would be easier/cheaper for ya.and like another said,it will change yer acceleration...that will be most noticable coming out of an uphill corner,when yer about to bonk...don't ask!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

time to climb
    You're ready. Just keep a 20t nearby. You might find that swapping 32x19 to a 34x19 is too severe. If it is, just pop the 20 back there and ride it until you get used to it. You'll have more options for races, and for other flatter trails with both 32 and 34 to choose from.

Paulie

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Just swapped mine to a 34t front

I tried it.......It made me fasssssssssssssssster. And it really makes my friends mad now.

34X18
    Mike

Dog-food-eating-chicken
    You're ready. Be nice to your chain, get a bigger chainring. I run a 34x17, but I keep a few larger cogs around for decoration purposes. I've heard that the larger cogs don't do anything but make riders slower and weaker.
    My legs hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    Am I ready for 34? What does everyone think?
    honestly...i doubt you'll even notice. 2 teeth in the front isn't really significant. unless you let the '34' get to your head...you should be making all the same climbs and spinning out just as quickly.

Members who have read this thread: 0