How do I tidy up crank w/o big ring?- Mtbr.com
    Compulsive Bike Builder

How do I tidy up crank w/o big ring?

I am thinking of going with two rings on the sand crawler I am building (kiwibikers name his Canning Stock Route Pugsley, I like it). I would be losing the big ring and maybe installing a 36T middle ring or something like that. That leaves a very unfinished looking crankset. Here are some options I have and what I think of them, I am looking for better ideas:

1) Install a bash guard. I am partially doing this for weight savings, I would rather just keep the big ring.

2) Just lose the big ring and install shorter chainring bolts. This would work, but would just look really bad. I would get over it, I guess.

3) Install some washers or dremel out something to fill the gap more nicely. Would probably look really bad.

4) Grind away the crankset so it looks nicer. I probably, realistically, don't have the skills/machinery to do this, see #3.

5) Look around for a product like I describe in 3. Is there such a thing? Seems possible, but I have never seen anything.

6) Post something to this board and see if there are any better ideas from other SS/29er riders.

X-post to 29er board.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

French for "Suck"
    There are skinny "bashguards" for CX bikes that I've seen, carbon fiber and the like. I don't know whether you'd be able to get them in your BCD, but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, you're stuck with the extra heavy thing on (bashguard or teeth-ground-off big ring) or an ugly crankset. Pick which you can live with more.

mtbr member
    7) Grind down the teeth on an old Outer Chain Ring.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    You can take you big ring and cut out the sections where the ring mounts to the crank. Then file/grind them to pefect size and use them as washers. Not the cleanest way to do it, but it's cheap.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
    You can take you big ring and cut out the sections where the ring mounts to the crank. Then file/grind them to pefect size and use them as washers. Not the cleanest way to do it, but it's cheap.
    I did this on my 1x(9-2). The (9-2) means I also cut two big rings off an old 9 speed cassette. It works, but it's not pretty. I skipped the "file/grind them to pefect size" part.

It was a PITA, and I'd buy bmx chainring bolts if I were to do it again.

Nashbar has bash guards for $15.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Buy a BB with a shorter spindle and mount the ring on the outside?

Members who have read this thread: 0