How do I singlespeed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

How do I singlespeed?

Hello Singlespeeders! First a little background. I have been mountain biking for just over a year. My bike is an Ironhorse Maverick 26er that I bought for $300. (basically a big box bike). I quickly realized its weaknesses even though I knew nothing about the sport or bikes in general. The mechanical disk brakes will stop you... eventually. The suntour xct fork is trash, I never know if the derailleurs would shift or not, and I think the frame is made of iron. Even with all of those problems the bike is tough as hell. It survived all jumps, drops, and descents. For a cheap bike it served it's purpose; getting me out of the house and back in shape.

The other day, at my local trails, a fellow rider let me try out his Niner singlespeed. I'm not sure what model but he claimed it weighed under 20 lbs. Having never ridden a SS I was certain it would be a struggle. To my surprise it wasn't at all. The acceleration was insane! I could carry so much speed into a climb, then get out of the saddle for a bit and just motor all the way up. I was blown away with the efficiency and I love how the bike forces you to be aggressive. So I am nearly sold on going SS.

My problem is I'm a student and I work full-time. My truck is beyond repair, so I have to commute with the heavy metal maverick, which is on its last legs. I don't have much time to save for a high end bike so my range is $400-$700. I know that cuts out anything new but I'm hoping I can find a steal on ebay or craigslist. A friend told me about the Raleigh XXIX, and today I discovered the Redline Monocog. Can the rigid fork be replaced with most 29er suspension forks? What is your opinion on these bikes and do I have any other options? I realize they don't compare to the Niner, but will they be significantly better than my Ihorse? Also whats your opinion on bikesdirect? Prices look good but I'm skeptical. Anyway thanks in advance for the help.

nothing to see here
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for pointing that out. Their is much to learn for sure. I was hoping someone had some experience with the raleigh xxix or redline monocog, since I'm not familiar with those manufacturers and how they would compare to a kona unit or gary fisher rig

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    You might find a Kona Unit for not too much more than that if you look around. I ride a 2014 Unit, currently my only bike. Even if I could afford something like a Niner, Domahidy, etc. etc. I'd still simply want it to ride like my Unit does. You can put a sus fork on if you want (I did briefly but went back to rigid).

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the response! Maybe I can find a deal on a kona. I believe thats a more common brand so hopefully there are more for sale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I've been on the 2011 Raleigh XXIX belt drive as my only bike. It think the 2012 and new frames have a shorter chainstay (better climbing). it's not a light bike, but it's near as light as a buddy's carbon dual suspension Scalpel. I think SS is great. It's a better workout too. Just make sure you get your sizing/geometry right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Nearly as light as a carbon scalpel? That sounds pretty good to me ha. I agree its a better workout for sure and I'm all for it. It makes riding the same trails that I've rode all summer feel completely different, but maybe that's just me. How did you like the belt drive?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I may have struck gold! what do you guys think?

https://gulfport.craigslist.org/bik/5229632098.html

It was posted two months ago so he may have sold it by now so we'll see

nothing to see here
    perfect if it's still available
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the madneSS. If you do a quick forum search on those bikes, you will find all the specs, mods, and info available on that price point. Have fun!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JC88 View Post
    I may have struck gold! what do you guys think?

https://gulfport.craigslist.org/bik/5229632098.html

It was posted two months ago so he may have sold it by now so we'll see
    a good deal on a good bike for sure but I'd personally suggest a 29er, especially if you are going to put some faster commuting miles on it...holds speed better etc etc

Also, as to your title question...sit, stand, or walk.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ok I bit on the gt peace, I did want a 29er but I also like 26ers because they are so playful. Anyway, I think it wasn't bad for $200 right?

How do I singlespeed?-gt.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    a good deal on a good bike for sure but I'd personally suggest a 29er, especially if you are going to put some faster commuting miles on it...holds speed better etc etc

Also, as to your title question...sit, stand, or walk.
    pedal, pedal for your life, or push in disgust.. did I do it right?

mtbr member
    Hey man that looks good to me! Good find. Have fun

mtbr member
    I have luck when I search google with whatever it is I am looking for and "MTBR" and "forums".

Also, LOL @ "trying a friend's singlespeed"! Dude, go for a ride without shifting on your own bike! That is singlespeed!

Sweet deal on the bike though, congrats!
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.