How do I add tension to the chain on my Gary Fisher Rig- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

How do I add tension to the chain on my Gary Fisher Rig

A few months ago I purchased a used Gary Fisher Rig (likely 2007 model) and have been abusing it since - really enjoying riding single speed. Anyway, the chain seems to have loosened and I have no clue how to adjust the tension - apparently I need to rotate the eccentric hub, but I'm not sure if a special tool is needed etc. Haven't had time to clean the bike since I got back yesterday... so apologies for the current state. I did notice that the rubber o ring shown in one of my photos is kinda loose - should I replace?

Also, how can I tell what type of chain it needs - written on some links is RB, KMC, and narrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I add tension to the chain on my Gary Fisher Rig-rigebb1.jpg  

How do I add tension to the chain on my Gary Fisher Rig-rigebb2-500x800-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    From the pictures, that looks like an eccentric bottom bracket. You loosen the allen head bolt and rotate the bottom bracket until the chain is at the correct tension, and then you tighten the bolt.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I assume the Allen head bolt would be the middle hole in the pic I posted? I tried turning with a 5mm allen key with medium force, but no movement. Would this bolt loosen clockwise since on non drive side?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks, got it off and managed to tighten the chain! I probably should take out the whole bracket and grease it - would I just remove the non- drive side crank arm and the bracket and drive side crank would just slide out? I'm guessing this is a square taper crank?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    BTW - should I hand tighten the EBB as tight as possible or back off slightly?

mtbr member
    Those wedge style EBBs should be heavily greased or treated with some sort of anti-sieze. If that wedge bolt is like the ones I have encountered, 75-100 in/lbs should do it on the wedge bolt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Be careful not to over tighten the EBB. Grease the crap out of it, otherwise it makes all kinds of noise. Creaks, cracking sounds etc. I still have the '07 model around that I bought originally that year. Great bike. I still really enjoy riding it. Good build and good components.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I didn't completely remove it as I didn't want to go through the process of removing the cranks. I did manage to shove in a bunch of grease from each side and the bike has been performing well since.

mtbr member
    Little tip on those BB (I owned the same year for 2500 miles)

-When you remove the BB from the frame, clean everything-then "lube up the inner bore of bottom bracket with valve lapping compound (find at auto parts store like Napa). Insert the eccentric and snug it up a little. Just leave it loose enough that it could be spun in frame by hand. Now rotate it back and forth for a little while and notice if starts to spin easier. Clean it all out, lube it all up and go.

What you just did is removed any tiny little highspots between the frame shell and the eccentric. Those little high spots can cause creaking. Lube wise- if you ride in moisture a lot use marine grease. Here in the desert I used moly-lube. A great BB if taken care of and they will give you a deep appreciation for sliding drop outs!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA