How to dissembling 8 speed sprocket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

How to dissembling 8 speed sprocket

I want to build a singlespeed with low budget, so I need to know how to dissembling my 8 speed sprocket and convert it into single speed

mtbr member
    Don't bother - buy something like this instead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Some the elcheapo 8 speed sprockets are held together by three long screws or peaned over pins. Unscrew or drill these out and you will get the individual gears. Even if you get the kit that Andy R has suggested this is a worthwhile exercise as you will get a bunch of different gears to use/try for the best ratio.

mtbr member
    Using sprockets from a cassette might just be ok for experimenting with ratios, I suppose, but using SS specific sprockets (with full depth teeth) is safer and more secure. For the little that the cheaper stamped-out ones cost I personally wouldn't recommend using cassette sprockets (not if you value your teeth, testicles etc. anyway).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    And these thin plate of cog will leave gauges on your freehub body. Performance and other cheapo ss cog typically don't have wider base freehub body interface that they'll leave tooth marks too. $30 is a lot for a gear, but it goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    And these thin plate of cog will leave gauges on your freehub body. Performance and other cheapo ss cog typically don't have wider base freehub body interface that they'll leave tooth marks too. $30 is a lot for a gear, but it goes a long way.
    Well, I don't use them - I use Chris King, for what it's worth. But the OP did say that he was on a tight budget, hence the reason that I recommended something like that Gusset kit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I didn't in any way imply that you were using them, I know you do things right. I'm just chiming in that cheap stuff surely have some trade offs. They do "work" but he may not like the long term impact to overall equipment. I have Surly cog and Blackspire, instead of Performance gears - and these guys really design their stuff with dedications. I wish I could afford CK pretty stuff.

mtbr member
    I didn't in any way imply that you were using them, I know you do things right. I'm just chiming in that cheap stuff surely have some trade offs. They do "work" but he may not like the long term impact to overall equipment. I have Surly cog and Blackspire, instead of Performance gears - and these guys really design their stuff with dedications. I wish I could afford CK pretty stuff.
    No, I know that you wern't getting at me, and we're in total agreement about the difference between really cheap stuff and good stuff that is well designed but doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

As far as the CK stuff goes - well, an old man has to have a few nice things in his life

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    And these thin plate of cog will leave gauges on your freehub body...
    Depends which ones you use and what your freehub is made of. If its not alu and you are using singles in the 15-11tooth range then I would not expect a problem. After all, these teeth are loose on lots of 9 speed cassettes. What would be the difference in running them with single speed spacers either side? Why would this be any different to the config they are run in on a multi-gear setup?

The guy wants to try SS on the cheap. If he loves SS then he can then go the whole hog and buy the exact single gear he needs, but there is no harm in experimenting using cogs from a cassette.

Members who have read this thread: 0