how to convince...- Mtbr.com
    bicyclist

how to convince...

....a non-sser that not shifting on a 27-speed is NOT the same thing as a singlespeed?
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    ....a non-sser that not shifting on a 27-speed is NOT the same thing as a singlespeed?
    From a mental standpoint, having the opportunity to shift is not the same as not having the opportunity. And the weight/noise/simplicity/zen factor in as well.

You can lead a horse to water....
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Put him on an SS.

Not because I'm fast.....
    Words from Sheldon Brown @ HarrisCyclery.com....

"Paradoxically, a singlespeed is, in another sense more efficient than a multispeed bike! While the single gear ratio will not be the "perfect" gear ratio for all conditions, in the conditions which fit the single gear, it is considerably more efficient mechanically than the drive train of a derailer bike."

"A singlespeed bike dispenses with the weight of the derailers, shifters, cables, extra sprockets and longer chain. In addition, a singlespeed gear train runs the chain in a perfectly straight line from sprocket to chainwheel, and avoids the serpentine wind through the pullies of a derailer. You can really feel the difference! A singlespeed is noticeably quicker and easier to pedal than a multispeed bike in the same gain ratio."

Hope this helps.

Nat
    mtbr member
    The question should be not "how" but "why?"

high plains drifter

I dont think you can

These are the same people who live 2 miles form the trail head and load their bike in the car and drive there .I went on a group ride a couple months back and was the only sser there and every time the trail slanted upward no matter how slight the down shifting began and I would just cruise right through the pack.
    I believe it is all mental, I use to think you could'nt climb hills without shifting to the granny everytime ,then when you have no choice you just pedal harder and what do you know you can make them no problem with just a little extra effort.
    It reminds me of this guy at work, kinda lazy and spends all day trying to come up with ways to get rich without having to work.I tell him once you get rich then what are you going to do.

King Pin

Wink Just grab his CraNK!

Give his crank a good backwards spin by hand......then do the same with your SS crank.

Your's will spin five or eight times.....his two if he lubed the chain recently. 'Nuff said!

And He was Not

Idea! Says It All

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Put him on an SS.
    That's THE best way.

high plains drifter

chainring ,cogs.and chain

plus you can replace your whole drivetrain for less than the the price of a rear der.
    salsa chainring $20
    king cog$42
    chain $6 on sale at performance
    Last edited by mateoway; 02-12-2005 at 01:32 PM.

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by mateoway
    plus you can replace your whole drivetrain for less than the the price of a rear der.
    salsa chainring $20
    king cog$42
    chain $6 on sale at performance

The thought of riding a S/S

PRICELESS

high plains drifter

now that I have

is there any other way

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Just grab his CraNK!
    Didn't need to read any further than the title.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Try an experiment

Get him to pick a gear and ride without shifting. You leave him floundering in your wake....
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member
    I race from February to November on my geared dual suspension,actually an eighteen speed, but whenever I go for a ride, even for training I for the most part take my rigid single speed. It is one of the funnest bikes I have ever riden. I think it is a great training aid. Makes you stronger as hell on the climbs, smoother as hell on the downhills and then when I get out on the race cousre on my geared race bike it just feels so much easier to push the harder gears no body else wants to ride, and flow through tough sections that most people just try and avoid or take slowly. My Single Speed is like my best friend. And a huge part of my training. Besides the looks you get when you pass somebody on a single speed, whether it be up or down are intoxicating.

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkyBrigade
    I race from February to November on my geared dual suspension,actually an eighteen speed, but whenever I go for a ride, even for training I for the most part take my rigid single speed. It is one of the funnest bikes I have ever riden. I think it is a great training aid. Makes you stronger as hell on the climbs, smoother as hell on the downhills and then when I get out on the race cousre on my geared race bike it just feels so much easier to push the harder gears no body else wants to ride, and flow through tough sections that most people just try and avoid or take slowly. My Single Speed is like my best friend. And a huge part of my training. Besides the looks you get when you pass somebody on a single speed, whether it be up or down are intoxicating.
    see, that's my plan. i'm trying to justify buying a gearie to race next season. i would ride and train on the ss, but the powers that be say that i should just install a 27-speed system on the ss and train without shifting. racing on the ss is out of the question for now, lots of disgusting short steeeep sandy narrow climbs on the local race trail that for now i can't handle on the ss. i need good defence of my 'more bikes' plan...
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...racing on the ss is out of the question for now, lots of disgusting short steeeep sandy narrow climbs on the local race trail that for now i can't handle on the ss...
    Are these climbs ridable during the races, even on a gearie? Do they become bottlenecks? It may be faster to run up them no matter what kind of bike you are on. In races I have passed many, many riders - even ones on their bikes - by running past them on the short steep climbs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Are these climbs ridable during the races, even on a gearie? Do they become bottlenecks? It may be faster to run up them no matter what kind of bike you are on. In races I have passed many, many riders - even ones on their bikes - by running past them on the short steep climbs.
    yeah, but short is relative i guess. they're still fairly long though. but rideable
    Tom Waits

yeah, but short is relative i guess. they're still fairly long though. but rideable
    I am talking 20-200 meters.
    mtbtires.com

bicyclist
    I am talking 20-200 meters.
    yeah but that's still a pretty long ways to push
    Tom Waits

yeah but that's still a pretty long ways to push
    If it is faster, who cares.
    mtbtires.com

bicyclist
    If it is faster, who cares.
    im not too sure. i guess i can wait and try the first couple races geared down
    Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

to answer the original question

The old times tables,
    If you multiply the front chainring(s) by the number of rear chainring(s) and you come up with any other number than ONE, you aint on no SS.

I enjoy running up hills, even long ones.

mtbr member

It ain't for everybody!

Wrong gear most all the time. Superior pain and agony.

Endorphines by the boatload!

I rode my gear bikes in one gear for several trips before I was sure I wanted a dedicated SS machine. Sometimes I talk folks into trying the no-shift method of riding. But most of them go back to granny and I blast by them on every climb.

Do any of you remember the first time you reached for a shifter on your SS ride? Funny feeling. Now, like today, when I ride the BoingZilla I don't touch the shifters. I don't even know what gear it's in. Same one as last year. Worked fine.

The SS is down for fork overhaul. Boing boing I go.

But like the Brooks saddle and the Bebop pedal, SSing ain't for the masses. So don't be too pushy. We just need enough riders to keep the goods in production.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtZilla
    But like the Brooks saddle and the Bebop pedal, SSing ain't for the masses. So don't be too pushy. We just need enough riders to keep the goods in production.
    yeah, i'm not trying to convert, i'm trying to justify*
    (*explain that i'm NOT stupid)
    Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In races I have passed many, many riders - even ones on their bikes - by running past them on the short steep climbs.
    I did that in the first and only race I've entered. It was a very short, steep, rough climb. Everybody was flailing around trying to get up it. I already knew the trail so I just jumped off and ran up the hill (past the flailing people) jumped back on my bike and kept going. I was on a geared full suspension then too. The looks on the other riders' faces were hilarious too. They looked so confused. It was like getting off their bike never occured to them.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    I've found that repeated concussive blows to the head with a blount object seems to work well. It helps if you say the words "IT IS NOT THE SAME"... one word with each blow. After a while they'll get the picture.

Hugs and Kisses,

Peter

PS: Why do they need to be convinced? Can't you be happy riding an SS and they be happy riding a cheaterbike?
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Objectionable Material
    PS: Why do they need to be convinced? Can't you be happy riding an SS and they be happy riding a cheaterbike?
    to justify, not to try to convert...
    Tom Waits