How to change an SS cog?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

How to change an SS cog?

Sorry if this comes across as a dumb question.
    For all of my years cycling I've never had to change a cassette or anything along those lines before.

As I'm planning to change the cog on my GT Peace SS I'll need to buy some new tools.

What exactly do I need to remove this badboy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks like a lock ring wrench and a chain whip should do the trick. The whip holds the cog in place while you turn the lock ring with the wrench. Park manufactures pretty cheap versions of each.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ahelmus
    Looks like a lock ring wrench and a chain whip should do the trick. The whip holds the cog in place while you turn the lock ring with the wrench. Park manufactures pretty cheap versions of each.
    That's pretty much what I thought. Good to hear it from someone else though
    My usual online store has the park lockring wrench for 33, bit expensive.

These 2 should do the business, I hope.
    http://www.billys.co.uk/english/grou...2idcwe-ecowhip
    http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=2idbblrs

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That is pretty rich. The below has a wrench for $13 US and a whip for $19. I have the Park HCW-5 ring wrench which is also for bottom brackets (if I am not mistaken).

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=6&minor=6

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    No chain whip needed, just the lockring spanner. What I do is leave the wheel on the bike, hold one crank arm and the chainstay with one hand tightly, holding the cog from rotating, and loosen the lockring. Then I pull the wheel off and fully remove the lockring.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Without buying tools you could use a hammer and a drift punch*.

*read: flat-blade screwdriver

-Rob.

mtbr member
    Park HCW-5 ring wrench
    this will not work for the lock ring. i recently got that wrench for a bb, so decided to try it since i swapped out cogs last night. it didn't work. i just use adjustable pliers and a chain whip.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You can just grab the outside of the lockring with channel locks or similar. I've done so, and it works fine.

The chain whip is still needed. Or you can hold the pedal and use your chain, though that feels kind of abusive to the chain.
    Last edited by fatdave; 06-19-2008 at 01:30 PM.

meh... whatever
    Park HCW-5 ring wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    this will not work for the lock ring. i recently got that wrench for a bb, so decided to try it since i swapped out cogs last night. it didn't work.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    interesting..... i thought i tried that last night, and it didn't fit. i will take anothe look tonight.

mtbr member
    Hey man I'm not saying that this is the "best" way but if you want to do it tonight then you only need a channel lock pliers.

Leave the whole wheel and chain in your bike and keep it stable, It helps to have a friend. and put your legs in front of the pedals so that they don't freewheel backwards you're basically using your chain as the chainwhip. Open the channel locks wide enough to get a nice grab on the lockring and then just have at it. I think that I had a buddy help me the first time I did that.

You just need the channel locks to put it back on. If you do it this way then you might want to stop by the bike store if you're ever there for something else and have them tighten it up with the right tool just for peace of mind although i've never had a problem from this method.

Yes I have the right tools now and No I don't do it this way anymore and I know that a couple of people will freak out with this post but I'm just throwing it out there as an option.

Brandon
    There's always money in the banana stand.

one chain loop
    OP's lockring has 8 notches, i bet the HCW-5's other end will work better.

everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Members who have read this thread: 0