"How 'bout THEM apples?"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

"How 'bout THEM apples?"

One of those days.

Picked up a 29er frame from e-bay back in January. Slowly build it up over the past several months. A few e-bay parts, shop parts, parts I had on hand, shop installing shop parts etc. Building up a little Franken-bike...so much fun.

Picked up the bike from the shop yesterday. 1x9, 29er, Gary Fisher, hardtail...blah, blah, blah.

Inaugural ride today. Oooh, handles really well, like the tires, narrow flat bar good, shifts great....Ooooh hello little tree branch on the trail aren't you cute....I'm just going to ride over YOU...CRUNCH, GRIND...GRIND...GRIND.

Two miles in and totally wrenched my new rear derailleur. Cage bent, wheely deals chewed and gouged. Silly little branch decided to wedge itself between my rear derailleur and my rear wheel. Luckily it didn't wedge into the spokes and cause me to endo. BAH. Limp back to the car...ghost shifting the whole time. BAHH GRRRR.

Drive home...throw the bike in the garage. Oh...look, it's my single speed. No gears, no rear derailleur...no suspension. I love you single speed.

Strap the single speed to the car, head back to the park. HA...silly little branch...YOU CANNOT DEFEAT ME.

But...you will require that I take the bike into the shop on Monday...causing me to spend more cabbage.

Stupid branch.

Yep...anyone have "one of those days?"

openwound
    Setting tile, sanding, re-coating with mud, caulking, and then the yards. No ride for me. Yeah, I had one of those days...
    -- let's ride

Retro Grouch
    message from branch:

a derailleur once killed my father. chuck bent derailleur and replace with tensioner. replace cassette with spacer/cog kit, shorten chain and remove now useless shifter and cable. do this or I will attack again, only next time I will jam self in spokes so rider jams junk onto top tube.
    BTW, you had two bike rides in one day and a story to post on MTBR; how bad could your day really have been?
    Last edited by aka brad; 06-05-2011 at 10:29 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

one chain loop
    I was riding alone in Kananaskis Provincial Park here in Alberta last week. The place has awesome single tracks and spectacular views. I made sure my hydration pack's bladder is full before the ride knowing its going to be a long one.

Two hours of riding, about 25kms way from the trailhead, nature called and I really have to go pee. A nice bushy bush, I found a perfect spot just beside the trail.

I made sure no one is around, I did my business. Ohh-la-la..

Mounted the bike and off I go again. After about five pedal strokes a lady, Fish and Wildlife officer flagged me, hiding behind a rock with a radar gun and a ticket ready.

"I need your ID please", I respectfully complied with lots of questions in my head. I was hoping my compliance will save me from any wrongdoing I might have committed.

She gave me my ID back and handed me a ticket, "That's for indecent exposure, sir."

Scratching my head, my head went loco when I saw the fine. "900 DOLLARS?? Are you kidding me??"

"The fine is $100 per inch, sir."
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post

"The fine is $100 per inch, sir."
    + rep.

--sParty

P.S. Did she ask you out?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    + rep.

--sParty

P.S. Did she ask you out?
    she was biting her lower lip when she handed me the ticket, not sure why.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    New derailleur definitely costs less than a visit to the ER, so I count myself lucky, could have been worse.

The whole deal just made me really appreciate having the SS to go to...so much less to go wrong.

I too was once ticketed, but oddly she decided to let me go with a warning...giggled and shook her head the whole time...I don't know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I destroyed a new X9 derailleur on a new bike in the same way you did. Now, its almost as if I have a sixth sense, a premonition, when a stick is about to get stuck in the wheel. I stop pedaling a fraction of a second before it happens, and let the twig fall safely to the ground.

FYI, sticks fly up into my spokes on the singlespeed too...damage can still be done!