horizontal dropouts - skewers vs bolt-on- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

horizontal dropouts - skewers vs bolt-on

Not a MTB-specific question, but SS-specific.

I'm building up a new SS gravel bike from an All City Nature Boy 853 frameset. It has 135mm horizontal dropouts with indexing screws. Since this will also be my race bike, I'd *like* to use a QR skewer. However, I don't want to give up too much performance (security, stiffness, etc.)

Will a bolt-on axle (Chris King Fun Bolts or the like) make a noticeable performance (or security) difference over a qualify QR skewer?

Recommendations for a quality QR skewer?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'd say definitely yes, especially running SS. If you want something relatively quick, then look at the DT Swiss RWS skewers with are somewhat QR in nature, yet clamp pretty tight.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    First of all, Horizontal wheel mounts, or Track Mounts, are technically not "dropouts". (just a pet peeve of mine, since I'm an old fart that remembers working on bikes that were made before "dropouts" were invented by Campagnolo).

Second, if you have indexing screws on your horizontal mounts, you will have to loosen them before you can get your chain off (assuming you have the chain tension set tight), so the QR skewer is not going to speed things up a lot.

The index screws do help keep the axle in place when you use QR skewers, but bolt/nuts have always been better. If you avoid the QR skewers with the plastic cup washer, they usually hold OK. The Shimano metal over metal eccentric works the best.

Personally I find it quicker to use a bolt or nut, and no index screws. You have to carry the allen key (or 10mm wrench), it's pretty quick to loosen them, slide the wheel forward to drop the chain and slide the wheel out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    First of all, Horizontal wheel mounts, or Track Mounts, are technically not "dropouts". (just a pet peeve of mine, since I'm an old fart that remembers working on bikes that were made before "dropouts" were invented by Campagnolo)....
    Personally I find it quicker to use a bolt or nut, and no index screws. You have to carry the allen key (or 10mm wrench), it's pretty quick to loosen them, slide the wheel forward to drop the chain and slide the wheel out.
    I'm old enough to remember butterfly nuts (aka wing nuts) and still use them. No tools, and I can get the wheel out just as fast as a QR.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland