Horizontal dropouts & axle slip - how to prevent?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Horizontal dropouts & axle slip - how to prevent?

Hello: I don't ride a single speed, but in fact ride a huge, heavy geared bike - a Banshee Morphine (sorry, but you folks do seem to have the info I need, so I'm relying on your good graces) with horizontal dropouts. Recently I got a new wheelset, and the quick release does not keep the wheel in place when I really crank up hills - the axle slips. I know there are bmx axle tensioners, but are there devices I can use here? I'd love to go to a solid thru-axel with bolts, but this new rear hub can't be converted (without spending more than it is worth).
    So, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks - Kelly

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontgothere
    Hello: I don't ride a single speed, but in fact ride a huge, heavy geared bike - a Banshee Morphine (sorry, but you folks do seem to have the info I need, so I'm relying on your good graces) with horizontal dropouts. Recently I got a new wheelset, and the quick release does not keep the wheel in place when I really crank up hills - the axle slips. I know there are bmx axle tensioners, but are there devices I can use here? I'd love to go to a solid thru-axel with bolts, but this new rear hub can't be converted (without spending more than it is worth).
    So, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks - Kelly
    Try finding an older quick release with steel faces or inserts that can bite into the frame. Older Shimano ones may work. Also, get some serrated washers that can go on top of the endcaps of your hub, that way you'll have two faces biting from both the inside and outside.

www.justthebonnet.com
    and if what drevil says doesn't work, get a bolt on skewer and use the serrated washers with that.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    The Banshee Morphine horizontal mount has a set-screw inside the slot that stops the axle from sliding forward, you just need to back it out until it stops the axle in the right place.

If that is missing, then a solid axle is the best. However, you can usually get an old steel QR (with steel serated caps) to hold. Helps if your hub axle has steel serated seat. If that does not work, look around for a BMX/SS tensioner that is indexed to the slot. I've sucessfully used standard BMX tensioners & QR skewers before too, the tensioner holds the QR skewer axle from moving forward. Sometimes you can drill a smaller hole in the tensioner for the skewer.

Cheers,

Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

can't do solid axle - will try serrated caps/qr

I appreciate the advice everyone's been kind enough to offer.
    I did the solid axle thing on the old 32 spoke xt disc wheels I had, but these new 36 spoke wheels have a wierd hub that can convert between 10mm and 12mm by replacing screwed-in end caps - the skewer goes into one side, then there is nothing in the middle, then just goes through the other side for support. Unfortunately, that means that if I want to go 10mm (which I must with my '02 Banshee) I can't just replace an axel & bearings. Maybe I could drill it out to accept a solid axel, but I don't wanna go there . I actually am thinking of having the 12mm axle machined down at the ends so it will fit both the 12mm "sleeve" inside the hub and the 10mm dropouts, but I have concerns about whether it will hold up on 5 foot to flat type drops under my weight.
    I'll try the metal/serrated quick releases. I'd really like to try the bmx thing, but I don't know if there are any designed for use with 10mm dropouts, but I'll check with danscomp or someone like that.
    Again - thanks for the input. - Kelly

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

what he said

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Try finding an older quick release with steel faces or inserts that can bite into the frame. Older Shimano ones may work. Also, get some serrated washers that can go on top of the endcaps of your hub, that way you'll have two faces biting from both the inside and outside.
    Every quick release I see for sale these days has aluminum ends, which are no good with horizontals. And a lot of fancy hubs use aluminum locknuts, rather than serrated steel ones. Back when all bikes had horizontal dropouts, the combination of steel-ended q/r's and steel locknut faces held our wheels perfectly secure.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontgothere
    I'd really like to try the bmx thing, but I don't know if there are any designed for use with 10mm dropouts, but I'll check with danscomp or someone like that.
    Again - thanks for the input. - Kelly
    Kelly, I am running the Atomlab tensioners on my Chameleon with a qr (alu) and its been rock solid. 5' to flat and its held no probs as well as holding while really applying torque on climbs since I run it singlespeed and really have to put some power down on the climbs.

The tensioner is slotted just like the dropout so its slides right in. The only mod I mad is to swap the crappy little screws Atomlab uses for some stainless 4mm hex head screws I got from the hardware store for 17 cents/ea.

Hope this helps. I tried the bolt on skewers and steel qr's and still needed more. The tensioner's did the trick for me. I am swapping to a solid axle this weekend despite that just because I can with my XT hubs. Good luck and again, I hope this helps.

nam
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!