Horizontal DO modification- Mtbr.com
    Dive Bomber

Horizontal DO modification

I am thinking to get a frame with horizontal drop outs but I want to use QR without chain tug.
    So I came up with this idea something to hold the axle on both inner and outer side.

I need input to make this work, please help me.

Thanks.

nothing to see here
    The problem is, to be able to remove the rear wheel, the axle needs to be moved forward, to release the chain from the sprocket. The inner part of your insert doesn't seem to allow this. Even if you are able to remove this inner part for wheel removal, you need to match the thickness of the dropout exactly, otherwise the QR will not clamp on the dropout sufficiently, or the insert will fall out whilst riding. You also have no allowance for chain length adjustments. Your machining of this part would require very tight tolerances, along with accurate measurement of the chain length.

You stated that you want to be able to use a QR, which might allude to being able to change the wheel quickly, like in a race or something. What little time you save by releasing the QR will be sapped up by trying to get everything to sit back in place when you replace the wheel. Re-inserting the forward inner piece will be difficult once you get the chain back on the sprocket.

Seems you're trying to re-invent the wheel a little here. Use either a quality bolt on axle, or tugs, for this frame.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Dive Bomber
    That's amazing Steve I don't even reach that thought yet, that's really a brilliant input.
    I want to use QR for wheelset swap so just wanna be versatile.

Let say I wanna keep use the QR axle since I don't want to use bolt on axle, would this both item works strong enough?

BQR-03 - Quick Releases - BBB

DMR Chain Tugs & Mech Hanger | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

The BBB is simple because it's only need allen key, just in case of emergency I don't have to bring lot of tools.

conjoinicorned
    I have had good luck with QR by filing hash marks on the dropout surface for extra grip and using a good skewer (XT is great)

I now use a bolt on (Chris king) which uses Allen key and doesn't require special tools, and never slips, although I still like to use tugs because it is easier to tension the chain
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you are having trouble with the skewer sliding on the drive side, then just turn your skewer around so that the clamping end is on the drive side. Also, make sure you use a good quality skewer like XT/XTR (or some other quality brand?)

I have track ends on my 29er and run it this way. It never slips.

Yeet so hard
    I havent heard good things about the DMR tensioners but these are really solid
    REDLINE BICYCLES CHAIN TENSIONERS
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The problem with your idea as I see it Jack is you would need different inserts for different cogs. If you always run the same cog, you could probably machine or have someone machine them. Probably want some sort of lip to keep them in the dropout. I think you'd only need the front side.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks similar to "wheel slammers" on BMX bikes. They come in different sizes but you're likely to need a few different ones to compensate for chain stretch, etc.

I have too few posts to give a link but check out sidewallactionsports (dot) com

Or google search for "simple wheel slammers"

Dive Bomber
    Amazing!
    I love this forum, thanks for the replies.

It might sound a little bit strange for sliding/horizontal drop out but I plan to use tensioner on BB, chain stretch is always my main issue so I use this.
    I use the wheel slammer or the chain tug is only too keep the axle on certain spot not for chain tension.

Members who have read this thread: 0