Hope Trials rear hub, convert to 142?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Hope Trials rear hub, convert to 142?

Hey all, I have been googling and cannot seem to find a definitive answer, can the Hope Pro 4 trials hub convert to 142mm in the rear? I saw mention of it maybe one day being convertible, and one person saying you can buy the kit direct from Hope, but the site doesn't mention the trials hub specifically.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    what are you converting it from?

i have the pro4 ss/trials hub in 142, its just endcaps

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The STIG View Post
    what are you converting it from?

i have the pro4 ss/trials hub in 142, its just endcaps
    Good question. Looking at a build at CRC, all the other hubs have options, 135, 142, etc. The Pro 4 Trials doesn't have an option, nor a ton of specifics, so I imagine its a 135 QR standard? if it is just endcaps, no biggie I suppose.

mtbr member
    email them. their product descriptions are vague.... but yes its convertible from qr to 12/142 with endcaps

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Awesome, thanks!

How do you like the hub?

mtbr member
    great man. ive got my 3rd set of hopes being built now. great hubs and the money is right

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The STIG View Post
    great man. ive got my 3rd set of hopes being built now. great hubs and the money is right
    Another question... after emailing hope to see what adapters were needed, I was told I would also need a new axle, part # HUB1009-49S, which doesn't seem to exist anywhere, and they gave me no indication o where to buy. Did you have to purchase one?

mtbr member
    For my Pro2 Evo trials/ss hub I ended up having to purchase the 142 conversion kit from a local Hope dealer (listed on their site). Could only find it one place online and the site didn't seem all that reputable.

This is beginning to be one of my gripes about Hope. Years ago you could get the parts practically anywhere online (Chain Reaction or Wiggle being two of the best). These days it is hard to track down something as simple as a Hope bearing kit.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Another question... after emailing hope to see what adapters were needed, I was told I would also need a new axle, part # HUB1009-49S, which doesn't seem to exist anywhere, and they gave me no indication o where to buy. Did you have to purchase one?
    Do you have a bolt-on version of a Pro 4 ? If you have the 135QR all you need is the X12 endcaps for the Pro 2.(I've already been in contact with Hooe about the interchangeability of the subaxle between Pro 4 and Pro2(EVOs) as I have a steel replacement in my present one.

Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear Hub Conversion Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If you currently have a 10mm bolt in then that part number hope gave you is correct. You will also need the x12 end caps. Good luck finding it online. It took me 3 months to get one as the hope local distributor was less than helpful getting me one. I emailed Hope and explained my situation but they couldn't have cared less. In the end I had to get a mate in England to order me one.

Was disappointed with Hope to say the least but what ever.. their parts are the shit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You can buy just about anything from Hope direct, just give them a call and order what you need.

Hope Technology USA Inc.
    800-303-6863
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Few years back Hope previously offered to sell me something direct however during my latest inquiry they directed me to a local or online dealer listed on their website.

I get the limited availability of the axle kit for the ss/trials hub since that likely isn't their big seller...so I'm fine with that. Their caps seem to be somewhat readily available as well. What bugs me is how hard it was to find Hope bearings and other service parts online. A few months back I couldn't find any bearing kits through the usual avenues. I ended up having to order a closeout bearing kit for the front Hope fat bike hub since it had matching bearings to my rear hub. I'm hoping this was just a weird temporary shortage among all their dealers. One of the main reasons I went with Hope was just how easy they are to service and how readily available their parts were online at the time. I was all set to go with a Pro 4 on my next build but I'm seriously considering something else.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Few years back Hope previously offered to sell me something direct however during my latest inquiry they directed me to a local or online dealer listed on their website.

I get the limited availability of the axle kit for the ss/trials hub since that likely isn't their big seller...so I'm fine with that. Their caps seem to be somewhat readily available as well. What bugs me is how hard it was to find Hope bearings and other service parts online. A few months back I couldn't find any bearing kits through the usual avenues. I ended up having to order a closeout bearing kit for the front Hope fat bike hub since it had matching bearings to my rear hub. I'm hoping this was just a weird temporary shortage among all their dealers. One of the main reasons I went with Hope was just how easy they are to service and how readily available their parts were online at the time. I was all set to go with a Pro 4 on my next build but I'm seriously considering something else.
    Just rebuilt my 142 SS trials hub a few months back, all the bearings were all readily available sizes, grabbed the sealed version of Enduro Max off the enduroforkseals site(ENDURO MAX BEARINGS: ULTIMATE SUSPENSION PIVOT BEARINGS!) reasonable price and the needle bearing off the bay for cheaps(no stock at enduro). The bearings are all spec'd in the manual on the Hope site. The MAX version were much smoother than factory which were only 6 months old, broke the aluminum subaxle but they sent me a steel replacement

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Any update on this? I have dispatched emails to Hope and others trying to find/buy the 12x142 conversion kit for the Hope Pro 4 Trials/SS hub I just purchased? The description for this hub on the Hope website and every other site says this hub is convertible to 12x142 with a kit, which is available exactly nowhere online.
    At what point did you decide you needed more than 1 gear?