Hope SS Hub, bolt sizes?- Mtbr.com
    It's carbon dontcha know.

Hope SS Hub, bolt sizes?

Thinking about getting a wheel built up using the Hope SS hub, is it an 8mm hex on the 10mm bolts?
    Can they be tightened independently, so if I need to take the wheel off on the trail I only need a single 8mm?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just built up a set of SS wheels with the Hope Pro SS hub. The stainless bolts that came with it use a 6MM hex wrench. The hub uses two separate bolts, so only one wrench is required to take the wheel off. I upgraded to Ti bolt from racebolts.com for about $20 bucks.

Hope you like a very loud ratcheting hub, the Hope are loud and I love it.

i don't give a shift
    Did the same an upgraded to Ti bolts as well. Added a custom washer designed for the bolts I purchased. The stock bolts just look cheap.

local trails rider
    The stock bolts fit my color scheme just fine

No problems removing and installing the wheel with one multi tool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    The stock bolts fit my color scheme just fine

No problems removing and installing the wheel with one multi tool.
    Give it time. Yours will take a dump soon enough
    I had to remove one with vicegrips last night. Good thing it was in my garage and not on the trail. Ti bolts are on order for me.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Upgrading the bolts

The nice thing about the new Ti bolts is the hex wrench size goes from 6mm to 8mm. This allows for easier torquing. I don't run a chain tensioner on my Gary Fisher Superfly SS, and I like the much larger bolt for tightening. Have had no problem with slipping.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by zieglebeet
    Hope you like a very loud ratcheting hub, the Hope are loud and I love it.
    I've already got a couple of geared Hope wheelsets, I love the loud hub.

Thanks for the answers people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    "Give it time. Yours will take a dump soon enough
    I had to remove one with vicegrips last night. Good thing it was in my garage and not on the trail. Ti bolts are on order for me."

Pff if you use good tools and use your tools good it almost impossible to destroy bolts. I do not mean to infringe on your skills in the shed but allen heads do not need to be destroyed. But good tool sizing is absolutely necessary as much as cleaning the bolt head before using the tool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zieglebeet
    I upgraded to Ti bolt from racebolts.com for about $20 bucks.
    Can you help out with a link to the part? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Racebolts Ti bolts for Hope Pro SS hubs:

http://www.racebolts.com/index.php?m...d3df83d6565bda

They are the 10mm x 35mm with a 1.5mm thread pitch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiDaDunlop
    "Give it time. Yours will take a dump soon enough
    I had to remove one with vicegrips last night. Good thing it was in my garage and not on the trail. Ti bolts are on order for me."

Pff if you use good tools and use your tools good it almost impossible to destroy bolts. I do not mean to infringe on your skills in the shed but allen heads do not need to be destroyed. But good tool sizing is absolutely necessary as much as cleaning the bolt head before using the tool.

No need to preach to me about tool useage and quality. I work for a major industrial engine distributor, troubleshooting and repairing industrial engines of all sizes, from 3.0L to 60L. My tool inventory costs more than most houses. Building bikes is childs play for me.
    Fact of the matter is, the Hope hub bolts are made out of stainless steel. Stainless steel is too soft of a material for use in anything but decorative bolts.
    My Hope hub bolts were never touched with anything except Snap On Allen wrenches. From the first time I torqued them up, I could tell they were soft bolts and the Allen sockets immediately started deforming.
    I also found that the Allen sockets in the bolts are not sized properly. They are 'supposed' to be a 6mm Allen socket. Bu the socket is slightly bigger, just enough that any 6mm Allen is going to be loose. But no fractional Allen wrench will fit. The sockets are also too shallow. They need to be another millimeter deeper to ensure proper engagement of the Allen wrench.
    No matter what, the Hope hub bolts are worthless and a Ti upgrade should be factored in whenever ordering these hubs.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by collideous
    Did the same an upgraded to Ti bolts as well. Added a custom washer designed for the bolts I purchased. The stock bolts just look cheap.

Looks sharp ! Where did you get that washer?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No need to preach to me about tool useage and quality. I work for a major industrial engine distributor, troubleshooting and repairing industrial engines of all sizes, from 3.0L to 60L. My tool inventory costs more than most houses. Building bikes is childs play for me.
    Fact of the matter is, the Hope hub bolts are made out of stainless steel. Stainless steel is too soft of a material for use in anything but decorative bolts.
    My Hope hub bolts were never touched with anything except Snap On Allen wrenches. From the first time I torqued them up, I could tell they were soft bolts and the Allen sockets immediately started deforming.
    I also found that the Allen sockets in the bolts are not sized properly. They are 'supposed' to be a 6mm Allen socket. Bu the socket is slightly bigger, just enough that any 6mm Allen is going to be loose. But no fractional Allen wrench will fit. The sockets are also too shallow. They need to be another millimeter deeper to ensure proper engagement of the Allen wrench.
    No matter what, the Hope hub bolts are worthless and a Ti upgrade should be factored in whenever ordering these hubs
    I am sorry that I have offended you. I only wanted to say that allen keys need to be used carefully.

Also I have two HOPE SS hubs wich both see regular use. I do not have any problems with the bolts. They stand up fine to regular removing and fastening. I need to mention that they are in vertical drops (I use EBB's) so they may not be as tightened as on track ends or the like.

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanin
    Looks sharp ! Where did you get that washer?
    Made a quick drawing, had it made and anodized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by collideous
    Made a quick drawing, had it made and anodized.

You didn't happen to order 2 extra washers to sell to a random MTBR member that can't draw as quick as you?

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanin
    You didn't happen to order 2 extra washers to sell to a random MTBR member that can't draw as quick as you?
    No, unfortunately I have no extra washers.

(slight return)
    Those Ti bolts look pretty good. I posted some info on hope bolts last year after stripping mine:

Hope Pro II singlespeed hub bolts

-slide

mtbr member
    Never had problems with the stock 6mm steel bolts myself. They aren't fancy but I wouldn't say they look cheap. They do the job. Unless you need the added clamping force from a bolt-on hub for horizontal dropouts, and you want quicker wheel changes, there is a quick release conversion kit that is also available. I have converted mine, and it was just a matter of removing the end-caps.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    No matter what, the Hope hub bolts are worthless and a Ti upgrade should be factored in whenever ordering these hubs.
    I agree with you. I've had two sets of rear bolt on hubs. First set, never had an issue but one was beginning to slip. Second set - soft from the start. This using a Park tools multi-tool.

I went to Home Depot and got some grade 8 bolts. 17mm head I think (box end wrench). Works well enough. Nothing fancy but easy to fix.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What torque setting are you guys using on the ti bolts? I just got my hub and I'm using 20nm on the stainless ones.
    Rigid bikes FTW!

Members who have read this thread: 2