Hope Pro ll SS Hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Hope Pro ll SS Hub

Just wanted to know how people feel about these hubs. How do they compare to the other high end hub on the market. Thanks!!!

banned
    I have been running the geared hub converted with spacers for SS use. As with everything I have ever owned made by Hope, it is top notch. I am having a set of SS wheels built in the next couple of weeks and I will be using the SS/trials hub for sure. I can't justify the extra $200 for a king.

mtbr member
    I have the geared version on my Motolite - great hub, tough and reliable, easy to service. I assume the SS version is much the same. Great value.

Loud though, really really loud.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I decided that I'm gonna be ordering these tomorrow with my build. Liking the fact that there gonna be loud to then I know every one can hear me coming. LOL

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i do believe these will be my next hub. I really like my DT Swiss, but they are a little plain looking.

Stayin' Puft
    King and DT Swiss use gear-tooth based engagement that engages fully around the circumference of the hub. They both are what I would consider high-end SS hubs, especially with DT releasing their 36-point engagement upgrade. Unfortunately the DT kit has to be applied aftermarket last I checked which makes the hub even pricier.

Hope uses a 24-point engagement, pawl-based system. They achieve 48 points by staggering half the pawls so only two engage at any one time on the Trials hub. If looks are your thing, they do come in pretty anodized colors.

mtbr member
    I have not used one for SS, but I have one I have used for gears. It now has about 15,000 miles and finally wore out the pawl springs. One phone call to Hope USA and they sent out some new springs. The freewheel mechanism needs to be cleaned and greased every 1000 miles or so, but it is very easy and I do not consider it a negative. There is no play in the bearings in the front or rear hub, and, aside from the springs, the freewheel mechanism shows minimal wear. I expect they will be good for at least another 15,000 miles. I wholeheartedly recommend these hubs!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Am I the only one who has used the SS hubs? lol

Kidding aside their great hubs and 48pt engagement feels fine, don't think I need more. So far their holding up great after 200mi or so. Be forewarned...the hubs are loud, which is a good thing for me since I use coast to let hikers/other bikers know I'm coming up. Also the loud noise gets me a bit amped on the downhill.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat
    King and DT Swiss use gear-tooth based engagement that engages fully around the circumference of the hub. They both are what I would consider high-end SS hubs, especially with DT releasing their 36-point engagement upgrade. Unfortunately the DT kit has to be applied aftermarket last I checked which makes the hub even pricier.

Hope uses a 24-point engagement, pawl-based system. They achieve 48 points by staggering half the pawls so only two engage at any one time on the Trials hub. If looks are your thing, they do come in pretty anodized colors.
    hmm you bring up a valid point... i have DT Swiss xr1540's on my 26er, and i have the stock bontrager wheels on my new rig, and i can really feel the difference in engagement between the 2. It actually gets on my nerves. I think the larger wheels magnify it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My wheels are for a 29er. Hope Pro 2 hubs laced with DT comp spokes with DT red alloy nipples to Stan's Arch rims. Running tubeless and yes they are single speed hubs. I've been on them for over a year after after many miles I still love the wheels and the hubs! Go for the singlespeed hubs since they have the 48 point engagement.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

Dead Legs
    I have the SS version laced to Stan's 355's with revolutions... and love em. I thought the noise would bother me but nope.

No, that's not phonetic
    I've pretty much given up on mine. The sealing is nonexistent in the pawl area. This is what it looks like every couple of months. I can ride my Kings in the same conditions for years with no service and they never look like this. If you ride in dry conditions this would be less of a concern. I commute in the rain and the water just pours through the silly plastic disc shield at the hub body/freehub interface.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

achiever
    ^^^^^ Yikes! That doesn't look very good. You'd figur being based in Britain, they'd have a better seal to them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Good experience with Hope hubs so far, I like them better then my Chris Kings (got rid of those overpriced hubs).

Servicing them is very easy and can be done at home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My hope SS hubs

both have play in them, enough to cause rubbing on the disc brake pads. Very bothersome, and if I had another chance I would never have purchased them. They have had play since day one. I considered getting new bearings and having them rebuilt, but they have been looked at by a couple of hope dealers here in Italy and they have all said pretty much normal. I will hope to see Hope at the Riva Bike Fest, and see what they say, but last year when I went by they where definitely not interested in helping the customer with tech support.

I don't like them, I ride them, and will until I can get another set of Kings to replace them. Another year or so.... a long time to deal with a high end hub that I really dislike. Ed

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Do they not have preload adjustment?

No, that's not phonetic
    No, they do not have any preload adjustment. They rely on tolerances like DT, only DT does a better job imo.

Even with some water entry, no bike component should rust that enthusiastically, not even a chain.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Jul 2006
    hmmm i think it's time to clip the spokes on my DT' 26ers and get a 29er set built up.

Members who have read this thread: 1