Hope Pro II - Trials or not?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Hope Pro II - Trials or not?

I am looking at building a new wheelset for my SS 29er. I have settled on Hope hubs, but I can't decide on the specific model. I like the idea of the non-ss as I could transfer it to another bike in the future, but what am I really giving up not choosing the trials/ss version?
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    The SS hub has a steel cassette body, & I believe more/stronger pawls.
    Sounds awesome freewheeling.
    It will also take up to 6 speeds if you need it to.

local trails rider
    With the narrow freehub, you get a "non-dished" wheel: somewhat stronger than with a wide freehub that forces the spokes closer to the center.

The SS/trials hub has four pawls. Dont know about the regular ones.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    i just ordered the trials hub myself. It will only hold a 6 cog cassette, but if you plan to use it onyl for SS its a non issue.

The main benefit of the trials/ss version is that it has 48 points of engagement rather than 24 on the standard hub. It has the same number of pawls as the standard pro II, but they offset them to double the engagement.
    True North SS 29'er
    True North Road Rocket
    Spec SJ HT baby hauler

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo$ey
    i just ordered the trials hub myself. It will only hold a 6 cog cassette, but if you plan to use it onyl for SS its a non issue.

The main benefit of the trials/ss version is that it has 48 points of engagement rather than 24 on the standard hub. It has the same number of pawls as the standard pro II, but they offset them to double the engagement.
    Pretty sure White Industries do a similar thing for their trials freewheel. 6 pawls as opposed to 3, but offset, so only 3 engage at a time. Nice design.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    Pretty sure White Industries do a similar thing for their trials freewheel. 6 pawls as opposed to 3, but offset, so only 3 engage at a time. Nice design.
    3 pawl

6 pawl

The 6 pawl is all in a row not much of an offset.

The Hope is a crazy loud hub, it almost has a metal ting to it vs the WI which has more of a bee sound. At enough speed you can't really hear the WI but can always hear.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    3 pawl

6 pawl

The 6 pawl is all in a row not much of an offset.

The Hope is a crazy loud hub, it almost has a metal ting to it vs the WI which has more of a bee sound. At enough speed you can't really hear the WI but can always hear.
    You misunderstood how the offset is applied. All of the white industries freewheels have 36 teeth on their outer drive shells. Thus, these teeth are spaced one for every 10 degrees. In WI's standard 3 pawl freewheel, 3 pawls engage at the same time. They are spaced evenly at 120, 240 and 360 degrees. For the trials version, the second set of pawls are offset (looking at it like a clock face) by five degrees, and would be spaced at 65, 185, and 305 degrees.

So every click you hear is alternating between the two sets of three pawls.

I hope this makes better sense.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Low Rep Count
    I have a WI Trials FW and love it but I can tell you first hand the the frickn Hopes are louder and sound much nicer imo. As much as I love my WI set up with WI hubs, I do wish I would have had them built with Hopes. I just love the sound of them and the fact that I could have gotten them in a wild color as well.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57

The Hope is a crazy loud hub,

I have Hope Pro II hubs and they are "Crazy Loud"... Wheel of Fortune style " clack ...clack...clack...clack"

i like 'em & the noise, people on the trail definitely hear you coming... also tells you "You're not working hard enough! so start pedalin' ! "

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkQp4dO_No4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkQp4dO_No4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo$ey

So does this mean that only 2 of the pawls are engaging at a time? vs. all four grabbing at the same time in the non trials version?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the help. As a singletrack rider in Texas, I think either one would work just fine for me. Now to decide if I want the right tool for the job, or the most flexible.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    I have Hope Pro II hubs and they are "Crazy Loud"... Wheel of Fortune style " clack ...clack...clack...clack"

i like 'em & the noise, people on the trail definitely hear you coming... also tells you "You're not working hard enough! so start pedalin' ! "

<snip>
    My roommate has the 9 speed flavor and it almost sounds like metal hitting a hallow surface with a slight spring action.

click to play
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 11-10-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkQp4dO_No4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkQp4dO_No4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    I call them the intimidators. When you ride up behing someone on the super quiet SS and then suddenly stop pedalling, it has a pretty good effect on them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass
    So does this mean that only 2 of the pawls are engaging at a time? vs. all four grabbing at the same time in the non trials version?
    I'm really curious about this. Anybody have any insight? Based on my understanding of how they go to 48pts from 24pts, it would seem that only 2 of the pawls are grabbing at a time. Same "Ring" but the pawls are offset so only 2 grab at a time.

Wonder if the 24pts is more reliable in the log run?

mtbr member
    I paced behind a guy the other day on the trail. I was rockin' my Hope and it was its typically loud self. He was a little slow so I was mostly coasting. He was not amused.

Members who have read this thread: 0