hope pro II single speed hub question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

hope pro II single speed hub question

i recently got new wheels with hope pro II hubs. the rear is the single speed/trials hub with bolt on attachment. what size allen wrench do i need to use? the 6mm feels too loose, and the 7mm it too big.
    i have tried searching, but i had no luck. the hope website doesn't help either.
    thanks

mtbr member
    I have the same hub and a 6mm fits perfect. I have seen wrenches that are not sized correctly so the only suggestion I can come up with is to try a different 6mm allen.

wot no bike?
    Yes 6mm, the stock fasteners on those hubs are soft pieces of crap. The sockets are shallow, too. Replace them with quality fasteners at your soonest convenience and don't try to get them too tight in the interim, they *will* strip.
    pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    don't try to get them too tight in the interim, they *will* strip.
    that's why i am concerned. my wrench doesn't fit that well, and i am already starting to strip them. i will try a different wrench for now, then get some new bolts as soon as i can.

wot no bike?
    Yeah I was pretty shocked they shipped with those things.
    pete

mtbr member
    i have tried 4 different wrenches, and they all feel too loose. i will be off to the hardware store tomorrow.

mtbr member
    The Hope hub bolts are absolute junk. Mine started stripping out immediately. They are a flawed design. The material is too soft. The allen hex is too big in diameter and too shallow in depth. There is no way they won't fail if torqued up properly.

Replace them with some high quality Ti bolts - http://www.tastynuts.com/
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hmm I use the same hubs and the same bolts. No probs during the last few years. Also I use them on two bikes. There's not even a sign that they are stripping or to hollow. Solid feel when tightening up. And i tighten them up pretty tight.

I must say that I clean the allen holes before removing or tightening and that I use "shop quality" tools and not cheap ass stuff.

But then again. Maybe they switched bolts.

local trails rider
    I have a couple of those hubs (fairly recent) and the hex key feels a bit more loose than usual. The same tool is good with other bolts.

I have not had any problems yet, but I don't have to be constantly removing the wheel and they are in vertical dropouts, so I don't have to tighten them all that hard.

mtbr member
    These bolts are stainless button head, which have a smaller & shallower socket than regular socket cap (Allen) bolts, so will not take the same torque before deforming.
    If this is a problem, you could just swop them for regular Allen bolts, bigger key, higher torque.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Q/r

This may be obvious, if so sorry. If you're using an EBB or sliding dropouts converting the hub to quick release is quick and easy and makes wheel (dinglespeed!) removal effortless and tool free.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    I swapped out to QR and have had no problems

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by roybatty666
    I swapped out to QR and have had no problems
    First thing I did as well. I am saving the threaded caps and bolts though, might have a need for them in the future..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    I'm curious how old the hubs are that have the problem bolts? I had a set of wheels built last year with these hubs, my bolts are dead perfect 6mm and have been rock solid and trouble free. Sounds like they changed bolts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiDaDunlop
    Hmm I use the same hubs and the same bolts. No probs during the last few years. Also I use them on two bikes. There's not even a sign that they are stripping or to hollow. Solid feel when tightening up. And i tighten them up pretty tight.

I must say that I clean the allen holes before removing or tightening and that I use "shop quality" tools and not cheap ass stuff.

But then again. Maybe they switched bolts.
    they must have switched bolts. i have tired shop quality tool to a multi tool, and all are too loose to fit the bolts.

mtbr member
    QR isn't an option for me.

is buachail foighneach me
    I've got the same problem on the ones a purchased a few months ago. I was beginning to think maybe the specc'd imperial bolts.

Members who have read this thread: 0