Hope Pro 4 Trials on boost frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hope Pro 4 Trials on boost frame?

Anyone done it? If so how? I did see one YT video where a guy simply used the axle from a boost hub and it worked. Would it be just that easy? Ordered a new single speed frame that is boost and I'd really like to use a Hope single speed hub but they don't come in 148x12.
    Last edited by Nubster; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:25 PM.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Looks like there's a Hope 148 boost conversion HUB493 available to make it work.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Hope addresses different axle standards with end caps, so it should be easy as long as they make the end caps.

mtbr member
    Yeah...I guess the other issue is brake rotor needing moved out something like 3mm. Looks like the kit includes spacers and maybe longer brake rotor bolts. The video I watched the guy didn't need a spacer...I guess it will just depend on the frame and caliper. I could just use a regular hub and spacer kit but I kinda wanted to roll on a SS specific hub this time...not that I've had a problem with spacer kits on regular hubs. I thought the 88 POE would be nice and I don't really want to spend $400+ on a single speed boost hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Do you change ratios often? Have you considered a freewheel hub and a quality freewheel?

For example: $165 Paul Boost WORD (https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/boost-disk-word-148mm/) + $89 White Ind. Trials Freewheel https://www.bikeman.com/WIND-FWENOT.html

Tough to beat 72 POE in boost for ~$250. Cheaper than Hope once you include the boost conversion kit for the Hope. My WI freewheel has been fantastic. It is 10 years old and I have (shamefully) never done any maintenance on it. It just goes and goes. Only disadvantage is you need multiple freewheels or chainrings if you change ratios, which are more expensive than freehub cogs. I rarely change ratios so the freewheel option works great for me.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Not often but probably often enough I'm not sure I want to spend $90 per ratio change. But I guess it is an option to consider and I've never really heard anything bad about Paul hubs.

mtbr member
    I'd do a search on Hope SS hubs breaking before committing, don't think anything has changed in the weak part of the exo-axle that the 12mm TA runs thru at the needle bearing interface. Fun bolt versions have enough metal but only 135mm axle. They sent me a steel replacement so my Hope 2 EVO is bulletproof now.

Hope Pro 4 Trials on boost frame?-wp_20150913_10_27_31_pro.jpg
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Not often but probably often enough I'm not sure I want to spend $90 per ratio change. But I guess it is an option to consider and I've never really heard anything bad about Paul hubs.
    You can make the change on the chainring side, which cuts it down to $40 or so, but you will be limited in how high you can gear by chain stay clearance on your frame. I have changed ratios once in 10 years so I didn't mind buying a new chain ring. Al chainrings wear out much faster for me than the stainless steel freewheel anyway.
    Last edited by Frs1661; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:36 AM.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    I'd do a search on Hope SS hubs breaking before committing, don't think anything has changed in the weak part of the exo-axle that the 12mm TA runs thru at the needle bearing interface. Fun bolt versions have enough metal but only 135mm axle. They sent me a steel replacement so my Hope 2 EVO is bulletproof now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150913_10_27_31_Pro.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1251543
    That sucks but thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    I've been running the HOPE on a rigid steel boost bike for two years in tough conditions, and it works great. The kit HUB493 mentioned by another poster is what you need. Clear instructions; easy to install. For me it was a better solution than a freewheel hub, though the Paul and WI stuff is nice.
    Hope Pro 4 Trials on boost frame?-img_2034.jpg