Hope Pro 2 VS. Kings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Hope Pro 2 VS. Kings

I am looking at building up my first set of NICE wheels. But I can't decide between the HOPE Pro II or Chris King hubs. They will be used on a single speed but I would like the option to go geared down the road. Any recommendation?

openwound
    Hadley.

Hope Pro 2 VS. Kings-rear-hub.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmm

mtbr member
    Kings all day long. I have had Hope hubs and have had King hubs... I still have King hubs... four sets in fact. The ability to service the King hubs is really nice, and the 72 pt engagement is noticeable vs the 24 pt (I believe) of a Hope. The front hub is cool from Hope as it can take standard qr, 15mm, and 20mm with only an end cap switch whereas the king stuff can only go 9mm - 15mm or 20 - 15mm although it is simple. I don't think you can go wrong with either hub, I just don't see any advantage a Hope hub has over a Chris King hub: weights are similar, quality is apparently similar, customer service is great for both... Kings have better engagement and can be more fully serviced.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Price and durability is also a concern. I probably won't ever get a green light to build a wheelset like this again.

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    From what i hear, kings are a work of art and last forever.. just very expensive. I'd go king's if price was no object.. hadley's would be a close second..maybe dt 240's with the body upgrade
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

mtbr member
    The Hope singlespeed/trials hub has 48 points of engagement, as opposed to the "normal" Pro 2 which has 24.

It can be converted from bolt to QR fixing (or vice versa) and can run five sprockets on a shorter than standard freehub, should you ever want to do so. Builds into an almost symetrical wheel - left and right flange offsets are equal but there is a 2mm difference in the flange diameters.
    A nice hub anyway - I'm happy with mine.

mtbr member
    The 2 hubs are good, I perfer Hope as it has a nice click sound where as kings sound like a angry bee!! All down to person taste and money as both are easy to service and rebuild.
    Custom Giant OCR T-Mobile Edition
    On-One Scandal 29'er Project on the go

smell the saddle...
    This subject has been discussed to no end.

There is no straight answer. They are both are quality, reliable, and rebuildable.

Hope = less money, less engagement, MUCH louder.
    King = more money, better engagement, loud enough.

I personally went with the Hope's went I built my wheelset. It came down to coin for me in the end. They are very noisy, at first I thought it was cool, but later it got aggravating. If you have the coin, go with the Kings. The investment pays off in the long haul becuase, if you ever want to sell them - their resale value is top knotch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I current running the Hope Pro 2 with Arch rims, single speed hub, on my Misfit. They have been totally awesome! I'm having another wheelset built up right now with !-9 singlespeed hubs and Crest rims, DT Revolution spokes that should be great too. Debating on keeping the Hope's although I have loved them.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    I don't have any personal experience with the King's. I am using Hope Pro 2's on my Jamis Exile, and I haven't had any problems with them...

mtbr member
    Both are great but I was asked this question from pro wheel builder (mikesee). Do you plan to ride in wet conditions much? Living in the east coast I will see many days in wet and muck. The reason he asked is, if so Kings seals are far superior then Hopes and will need less attention. Basically he said you should pull the hub apart on the Hopes after every muck ride. Kings you do a basic 6 month break down no matter the conditions. Also Kings 72 point engagement is very noticeable when you have to ratchet through the rocks. The Kings will more then likely end up on the next frame and the one after that. This is why you pay the extra dough for Kings. So if you ride in wet conditions I recommend Kings, if your a dry climate rider save the coin and go Hopes. Good Luck....

mtbr member
    I've heard the sealing of Hopes is lesser(and even seen evidence on here). I use my Hopes on the east coast on a foul weather bike. Its used in all any thing and then hosed off with a hose afterwards. I have a few years on mine and all i have to do is regrease them once a year. Still totally original, bearings at all. The grease does show some slight contamination but nothing at all to be concerned with.

If money was no object, Id go for Kings in a heartbeat. But I wouldn't shy away from Hopes because you live in a wetter environment and worry about sealing.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by amblake50
    I don't think you can go wrong with either hub, I just don't see any advantage a Hope hub has over a Chris King hub: weights are similar, quality is apparently similar, customer service is great for both....
    other than the fact that Hope's cost less than half what kings do. The Hope's are serviceable, just like the King's so you get all the bling at half the cost. If you go with the SS Hope hub, the engagement is 48pt vs 24pt for the geared hub. I have owned King's and they are nice but I have built my last 2 sets of wheels with Hope hubs and they are bombproof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hope.

mtbr member
    I have multiple sets of both. Both work and look nice, the Hope hubs are more of a working mans hub and the Kings are for those who like people to know they threw down a lot of cash.

A month back or so, somebody did a pretty good review on Hope, King, I9, DT Swiss and Stealth. It's worth looking at if you can find it.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Even if you are a raging liberal (like me) be proud to buy a quality american made product. Chris King.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim86
    Even if you are a raging liberal (like me) be proud to buy a quality american made product. Chris King.

Or Hadley.

Members who have read this thread: 0