Hope Pro 2 SS conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hope Pro 2 SS conversion

Has anyone here converted a Hope Pro 2 (SS) bolt-on hub to QR?

My new build will have vertical drop-outs so I'd like to use a QR skewer instead, for the ease of use when changing flats etc.

I emailed Hope and they said all I need to do is replace the endcaps on the hub to rear QR endcaps. I then went to put in an order for them online and the store said I need endcaps and a new axle, and that is what Hope told them. So there seems to be some confusion around the issue.

The store is going to look into it further tomorrow, but I was just curious if anyone here had first hand experience doing this?

Cheers,
    Tom

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I would have to take a look at my bolt-on.... the QR axle has a little "guide" in the center of the axle for the QR skewer to stay centered (I noticed this when I converted my other rear Pro 2 from QR to 10mm TA)... I suppose just changing the caps could work too...

mtbr member
    Apparently that is the answer, just replacing the caps. Universal Cycles (whom I ordered them from) confirmed with Hope this morning. They have been great to deal with. Looking forward to getting this rig built up.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Apparently that is the answer, just replacing the caps. Universal Cycles (whom I ordered them from) confirmed with Hope this morning. They have been great to deal with. Looking forward to getting this rig built up.
    cool.. good to know...

ost
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i ordered new end caps from Tarty Bikes in UK. very easy conversion involving pulling off the old bolt up end caps and replacing them. as the axle is hollow already, it remains. all up it was about a 5 minute conversion. highly reccommended on vertical dropout frames. my Voodoo has sliding dropouts!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    sorry to gravedig, but this thread is exactly what i'm looking for.

the new endcaps, are these the bad boys that i need? 1 of each?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=18770

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=18771

thanks

mtbr member
    Yup, thats all you need. Just pull off the bolt on ones and press those ones on and you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just to double confrim. I also need to switch my Hope Pro II SS to a QR. So I need the 3rd one down for each side on the Chain Reaction pages? the Pro 2 QR?

I got the SS hub for strength and run my drivetrain as a 1x6. But the bolts just kept coming undone. I was careful in the beginnng not to over tighten them. As time went on though one side would loosen in minutes and it seemed no matter how tight I made them they could both back out. It was downright dangerous! Sure enough 3 of the bearings were damaged.

My wheel builder said from the beginning that the Hope Pro 2 bolts suck and that I should go to Lowes and buy their bolts. I was reluctant. So I complained to Hope hoping they would send me the QR conversion. When I said the bolts kept failing guess what they said? Go to Lowes and get their bolts !!! So obviously Hope knows the stock bolts are a problem. Why don't they provide better bolts to begin with?? I really think they should pay for the QR conversion but I can only yell and complain so much...

Actually the Lowes bolts have workd well. My issuse now is that even tubless I tend to get a lot of flats and I hate dealing with the bolts entirely. The other day I brought the wrong multi too and had no way of getting them off without that huge allen wrench! (fortunately I got stans to seal the sidewall puncture I had). I frankly just don't trust the bolts either, and would much rather go QR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You just need the endcaps. The SS hub has a hollow axle already so you don't need the axles. My bolts have loosened up once, but that was only one occasion out of MANY MANY rides. The only real problem with the bolts is the shallow head for the allen key. I'm almost always have a multitool on me so it's no big deal, but I will probably switch to QR at some point.

Members who have read this thread: 0