Hope Pro 2 SS - Bolts too long?- Mtbr.com
    the air is thin up here..

Hope Pro 2 SS - Bolts too long?

Just got my Pro 2 Evo SS. It's noticeably heavier than the normal rear hub, and aside from the steel body, I'm sure a contributing factor is the length of the axle bolts! They seem to be about 2x as long as they'd need to be.

Anyone replace them with something shorter?
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They should fully engage the threads inside the hub. Measure that length and add the dropout thickness to it. There can be some pretty thick aluminum dropouts out there that they need to fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just leave them! The only place you'll notice the weight is the scale! I noticed this too on my Hope 2 SS hub.

Low Rep Count
    I agree with Aaron on this one. However, if you still feel the need to replace them, get the measurements suggested. Then measure the diameter of the threaded portion of the bolt. Then measure how long the threaded portion is. Finally go to Toronto Cycles and find the matching bolt in Titanium and replace it. Just keep in mind that you could have some slippage if you are running them on a horizontal (track end style) drop out but if you have sliders you can probably get away with ti bolts (I just put some in my White Industry hubs but have not been able to get out for a ride just yet). The weight savings for me was about half. 26g stock vs 14g ti (for 2 bolts). Nothing special and you certainly won't notice this AT ALL when riding and barely on a scale!

the air is thin up here..
    I'll probably end up leaving them, but was just surprised when I was taking them out. They just kept turning, kept coming out!

I do have sliders, so I don't need the crazy stupid torque that a track dropout would need.

Thanks for the input
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Members who have read this thread: 0