Hope Pro 2 SS 24pt or 48pt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Hope Pro 2 SS 24pt or 48pt

I getting a new wheelset built and I'm considering the Hope Pro 2's for the price. I was talking to a sales guy about the difference in the Chris Kings and the Hope Pro's and he told me that the engagement of the King's are 5 degrees and the Hope's are 15 degrees, I thought the Hope's were 48pts of engagement not 24pts, true? I thought he must have been talking about the geared hub instead of the SS version but I just wanted to ask. Also I had a price quoted at $640 for the set of Hopes with Stans Arch rims with DT Swiss double butted spokes, is this a fair price? $200 more for the Chris Kings.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    $200 more for CK seems to be pretty damn good, i'd go that route in a heartbeat if only choosing between the two.
    IMO, the 48POE or even 24POE isn't a deal breaker. I've been riding much less than that with my DT Swiss hubs, and i don't notice it. Quality is why i'd go with CK over Hope. And resale... you'll never loose a hell of a lot with CK down the road if you ever decide to sell them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have Hope SS and I'm pretty darn happy with them. They are 48 pts. Is the King worth $200 more? That's up to you. Customer service with Hope was awesome the one time I had to contact them.

mtbr member
    The Hope SS are 48 POE and the geared are 24 POE.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yeah i'm in the same boat, i have a hard time justifying an additional $200 for an even more premium hub. the one thing the guy i'm planning to have build my wheels mentioned is that the hopes can't handle as high a spoke tension so he usually pairs them with stans rims (since they are also limited). so if you're set on the stans then the hopes might make a good light wheel and they will complement each other well. if you get a rim with eyelets then you could have a stronger wheel built up and the CK's might make more sense. (this is my current predicament, wondering whether or not the extra strength and CK bling is worth the money).

veinte nueve pulgadas
    Spread that $200 logically out over the lifespan of the wheelset and it doesn't look so bad. Dropping it all at once is always going to hurt a bit though.

FWIW, I've gotten lucky with NIB Hadleys on craigslist, or off Ebay. I'm a Hadley man. (3 rears and 1 front...great stuff).

One Gear
    I was in the same boat last year and went with the Kings. Did the same thing again this winter for my singlespeed. If they last 10 years like my King headset, I'll be pretty happy with them. I had a set of Mavics on my older bike and the guts just didn't hold up. The engagement is totally worth it. You notice it when you're on top of a big log or log pile. You can hammer into it, coast over, and give it quick couple of kicks while on top if you lose momentum. A full pedal stroke just isn't necessary.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think I'm going with the CK's. The comment about $200 over the life span of the wheelset pushed me over the edge so thanks, haha. This is a heep of money but a good wheelset is the last thing I need for this bike. Now I need a frame to build a bike from all the take off parts, does it ever end?!

veinte nueve pulgadas
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonByers View Post
    The comment about $200 over the life span of the wheelset pushed me over the edge so thanks, haha. !
    Nice. CK should send me a check.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yeah i think i'm gonna do the same thing, CK SSrear but i'm gonna go with a DT-S 350 front, it's a fair bit cheaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonByers View Post
    I think I'm going with the CK's. The comment about $200 over the life span of the wheelset pushed me over the edge so thanks, haha. This is a heep of money but a good wheelset is the last thing I need for this bike. Now I need a frame to build a bike from all the take off parts, does it ever end?!
    Just make sure you disassemble and relube the freehub at regular intervals. I have 2 friends with King rear hubs (geared) and if they don't clean them once a year they start slipping. I haven't touched my Hopes in almost 4 years now and they run like new. I actually did take the rear freehub apart after about 1.5 years, and it looked like new, so I just put it back together and haven't touched it since. I've seen some people complaining about poor sealing on this hub, but my experience is the exact opposite.

Mark

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I run King's on my SS and I couldn't be happier. You should look into I9s for their engagement points.