hope hubs for ss- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

hope hubs for ss

Just bought a hope pro 2 hub and used it for ss . after 100 kms i noticed slipping. do hopes have soft freehub body?

Dirty South Underdog
    I've got Hope hubs that I've been beating the bejesus out of for the past year and a half (well, as much of a beating as a 140 pound person can dole out), and mine are still as awesome as when they were new.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I've got Hope hubs that I've been beating the bejesus out of for the past year and a half (well, as much of a beating as a 140 pound person can dole out), and mine are still as awesome as when they were new.
    does your hub show any wear in the free hub? what kind of cog do you use?

i use a niner cog 18t with tensioner

Thanks!

openwound
    More info please? When does it do it? What's the sign or behavior you're interpreting as "slipping"? Any strange/new noises -- clicks, clunks, or nasty grinding type of stuff? What cog are you running?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    More info please? When does it do it? What's the sign or behavior you're interpreting as "slipping"? Any strange/new noises -- clicks, clunks, or nasty grinding type of stuff? What cog are you running?
    the sound is like mis shifting but louder. i get this sound when going steep up hills or when sprinting.

I really don't know if its the tensioner or the hub. just saw my freehub with a little wear

openwound
    Sorta sounds like pawls failing to engage/stay engaged. I'd contact Hope...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i just switched the spacer and the cog on the part of the free hub with no wear, tested it for a while and the slipping is gone. I'm just not sure if it will last. just tested it on a flat road

Look at the time!
    Most likely it is just the chain skipping. New chain and cog, then try again.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    Most likely it is just the chain skipping. New chain and cog, then try again.
    i am using a bnew chain and cogs

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sounds like the chain line might be off a bit. Esp if you could move spacers around and it work.

The hopes are easy to work on (there's a thread here with pictures and instructions that's worth checking out, as well as a youtube video that Hope put out themselves) so I have a go at pulling it apart and making sure everything's in the right place.

Also, make sure you're using a wide base SS cog, as stamped cogs will eat into the aluminum freehub body. This is assuming you have the geared up and not the SS hub.

I've got a lot of miles on my hope, and not even a hiccup. A lot of loud clicking though.

local trails rider
    Which hub? The regular one or singlespeed/trials?

What tensioner? Spring loaded or fixed? Pushing up or down? How tight is the chain?

What bike frame? Even a flexing frame can cause the chain to skip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Which hub? The regular one or singlespeed/trials?

What tensioner? Spring loaded or fixed? Pushing up or down? How tight is the chain?

What bike frame? Even a flexing frame can cause the chain to skip.
    hope pro 2 hub with the aluminum free hub. My tensioner is spring loaded pushing down, fire eye brand. The bike frame is a large emd9. im using 18t cog.

The chain is not to tigh,t if you push down the chain with the tensioner it will hit the chainstay. is this normal? cant cut another link!

local trails rider
    A couple of guesses....
    - check your chainline: chainring and cog the same distance from bike's centerline. A ruler aligned with the chainring may also give you a visual indication of where the chain should be pointing.
    - you might get better chain length with a "half link".
    - pushing down decreases the chain's engagement with the cog: more possibilities for things to go wrong
    - spring loaded tensioner allows the chain to move more than a bolted one: more possibilities for things to go wrong

I recall the EMD is supposed to be a stiff aluminum frame? Probably not flexing much?

edit:
    I don't have a tensioner for my new bike yet. I did the first test ride with a gearie chainring and very loose chain: the chain skipped as soon as I tried to go uphill. Now I have a SS chainring and the chain is just loose enough that i can drop it from the chainring by turning the cranks backwards and pushing the chain to the side. No problems during riding, though: the chain just rattles a bit when coasting over bumps.
    Last edited by perttime; 07-23-2010 at 03:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    single speed conversion + chain tensioner pushing down = not enough chain wrap, chain can skip teeth which makes the exact sound and sensation your describing. Add a dash of improper chain line and it only exacerbates the situation.

answer = use the perscribed above half link, a chainstay mounted tensioner/a upward faced tensioner, or get a new hub (e.g., white eccentric).

SSOD
    This sounds like a problem I had with my tensioner when i first got it. It was a Surly singlenator, pressing downward, and I found out it was setup wrong and wasn't creating enough tension on the chain. Also made the mistake of crushing the link when putting the chain back together. If your not familiar with taking links out of a chain and putting it back together make sure when your tightening the pin you don't compress the link to the point it will not bend. This will cause the chain to skip as it rotates around your cog also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I agree with Markj2k4. A chain tensioner pushing down decreases the number of links engaged on the cog. When you start torquing hard on the cranks, it exasperates the problem by decreasing tension on the part of the chain returning to the back wheel and therefore decreasing chain wrap more. This makes it easier for the chain to pick up and skip.

For over 10 years I ran an old rear derailleur as my chain tensioner and just set the limit screws to hold the chain line. I never had a problem with chain skipping and I was running cogs ground free from cassettes I got from the junk bin at my LBS. Anyway, it could be a cheap way to test if the tensioner is the problem (assuming you have a rear der laying around).

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwinr
    does your hub show any wear in the free hub? what kind of cog do you use?

i use a niner cog 18t with tensioner

Thanks!
    I just took it off today to have a look, and it's left almost imperceptible "bite" marks on the hub. I'm not too worried about it, but I'm gonna keep an eye on it. I also use a Niner cog (no tensioner)
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    just solved the problem. its the tensioner!!! just bought a new ss frame, noise gone!

but my hub has a lot of bite marks

Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0